Personal Website Questions

final5-0

Mustang Master
Apr 6, 2003
DFW Texas
For those of you who know about building a site I got a Q or Two.

A while back I built a little site to mainly host my files. I used the free bandwidth, server space or what ever you call it that came with my provider's dsl package.

The editor I used to build the site was one of their default things which I believe they call page builder.

When I want to add some stuff to the site I have just been puting it at the end of the page under a title called "updates", lol.

It seems to me this page builder thing is just very basic as I don't seem to be able to easily insert stuff in the middle of the page. :shrug:

Is there a better editor I can use for the best price of ... free, you know, something I could dl off the net somewhere, lol?

Any of you peeps who might reply ........................
Don't get too involved or talk too techy or you will be over my head real quick as I don't know anything about all of this website stuff.

Any help or advice would be great. :D

Grady

• Sponsors (?)

Or use the PEECer to improve performance. You can modify the text management, insertion points and remove some low and mid page logs.

Sorry Grady - I could not help myself. :D

(For those that did not get it, PEECer was as close to TwEECer as I could get for a PC application). ;)

I just use notepad for my site. :D

Frontpage will work if you can find a full copy of office. If not, just search www.download.com for a free html editor.
I don't know if it has an html editor, but openoffice.org is supposed to be a free ms office alternative.

Frontpage is teh suck. Get dreamweaver, it can very easily be downloaded and its simple and yet very advanced when you need it. If you really want to get into things you should learn php, that way you'd be able to update your sites, from the site, without touching ftp. This forum was made in php, to give you an example. I'm sure you'd learn it easily.

Synned said:
Frontpage is teh suck. Get dreamweaver, it can very easily be downloaded and its simple and yet very advanced when you need it. If you really want to get into things you should learn php, that way you'd be able to update your sites, from the site, without touching ftp. This forum was made in php, to give you an example. I'm sure you'd learn it easily.

Are you talking about the kind of deal where you manually enter html code one line at a time?

Kind like I used to do with Dos commands before Billy Boy put Win-dozz on the market?

If you are, I built a small page like that before I used the page builder editor thingy that was more user friendly.

Grady

final5-0 said:
Are you talking about the kind of deal where you manually enter html code one line at a time?

Kind like I used to do with Dos commands before Billy Boy put Win-dozz on the market?

If you are, I built a small page like that before I used the page builder editor thingy that was more user friendly.

Grady

Well HTML is like the basic language of the WWW. HTML can do images, text, tables, frames, links and a few other basic things.
PHP is a bit more complex. I can try to explain:
Your browser turns HTML into the visual stuff you see in web pages. If you go to view>source in just about every website you see you will find HTML. PHP is not seen by your web browser, the computer which the site is on actually processes it and then turns that into HTML.
I hope I'm making sense.
You would learn a great deal by looking at the source of web pages to see how most things are done. By the time you've "learned" html, (I say learned because it's basically just tags that you have to remember) I would start learning HTML by reading tutorials. Notepad + HTML + PHP + Photoshop is probably the best combination you could have because you could go completely custom, but in your case I would use dreamweaver. Dreamweaver will create this HTML code for you. I strongly suggest learning HTML and using dreamweaver for a little before you want to get more complex.

Here is a great tutorial:
http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/96/53/index0a.html?tw=authoring

Good luck, theres plently to learn
Joe

Synned said:
Well HTML is like the basic language of the WWW. HTML can do images, text, tables, frames, links and a few other basic things.
PHP is a bit more complex. I can try to explain:
Your browser turns HTML into the visual stuff you see in web pages. If you go to view>source in just about every website you see you will find HTML. PHP is not seen by your web browser, the computer which the site is on actually processes it and then turns that into HTML.
I hope I'm making sense.
You would learn a great deal by looking at the source of web pages to see how most things are done. By the time you've "learned" html, (I say learned because it's basically just tags that you have to remember) I would start learning HTML by reading tutorials. Notepad + HTML + PHP + Photoshop is probably the best combination you could have because you could go completely custom, but in your case I would use dreamweaver. Dreamweaver will create this HTML code for you. I strongly suggest learning HTML and using dreamweaver for a little before you want to get more complex.

Here is a great tutorial:
http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/96/53/index0a.html?tw=authoring

Good luck, theres plently to learn
Joe

Yes Joe, you made perfect sense ... at least to me you did :D

I may look into the Dreamweaver thing. :shrug:

Again I just kinda sorta made that little site on a Lark and after I got into it, I found it kinda interesting. :nice:

I have no desire to become some kind of WebMaster :rlaugh:

You guys have given me the basic or general info I needed to consider a few options and I want to thank all you guys for your effort. :hail2:

Just one more example that shows ...................................

:SNSign: RULES :SNSign:

Grady