Picture request, dual tone cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other things you can try are a different shade base color under the red. Put down a little red, see if it’s dark or light, and base it off that. Red over a white base coat is much brighter than red over a black base. You can get a middle ground putting it over primer, silver, or charcoal.

Just food for thought if you want to play with a small piece of plastic until you find a “close enough” match.

I don't think it's as much about color as the pearl/metallic in the paint/clear.

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely looks like an effect was added to the clear, with that added element matching is going to be extremely challenging
for a diy job.

Yeah, I have seen that before as well. The problem is that even if you get the color match perfect, it will still look off because of the clear coat. I'll bet the "metallic" flake was added between the base and clear coat. I'd venture it will be a practically impossible task to match without knowing what the original painter did on the car, unfortunately. Regardless, it won't be done with rattle cans on the cheap.

I know you've resisted it, but the truly best thing to do would be a total repaint for a quality look. Knowing that money is tight, if it were mine I would probably just start saving pennies for that route down the road. You are just out of options, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I have seen that before as well. The problem is that even if you get the color match perfect, it will still look off because of the clear coat. I'll bet the "metallic" flake was added between the base and clear coat. I'd venture it will be a practically impossible task to match without knowing what the original painter did on the car, unfortunately. Regardless, it won't be done with rattle cans on the cheap.

I know you've resisted it, but the truly best thing to do would be a total repaint for a quality look. Knowing that money is tight, if it were mine I would probably just start saving pennies for that route down the road. You are just out of options, unfortunately.

Yeah, that's not really an option, either. No chance I'm going to convince my wife that it makes sense for us to drop $4k+ on a paint job for a slow 25-year-old car. If I can't convince a shop to work trade, I think my best option might be to sell it and buy one in better shape. It's not what I want to do, but...

Little update. I've secured a gentleman's agreement with a body shop to trade services. Looks like a full paint job is in my future. I'll try to update when that occurs, but it won't be for a while.

Thanks to those who attempted to help. The rest, good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.