Picture request, dual tone cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Automotive Touch Up Paint....There website has primer , color , and clear all for forty or so bucks. I painted both bumpers with spray cans and the look like shop quality . You get the color off your vin# and it works perfect . They have step by step directions. Check it out

Automotive Touch Up Paint....There website has primer , color , and clear all for forty or so bucks. I painted both bumpers with spray cans and the look like shop quality . You get the color off your vin# and it works perfect . They have step by step directions. Check it out

Can't do that because the car has been repainted a different color. Need to find out which color that is first.

It's what we've got, simple as that. I live in a small community. If I needed a camera TODAY, my only option would be Best Buy, and no one would call them a camera shop. Mocking that fact doesn't really add to the conversation.
The only thing to add to the conversation is the fact that if you are going to color match the bumper covers and side trim you need to go the distance to a real paint store and get it matched, it's not the original color.
And the 'mocking' was a humorous attempt at say'n ' that.
light'n up a little.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
While I’m all for a good old fashioned flaming, I’m not sure this guy deserves it. His explanations are reasonable, and somebody with limited body work experience isn’t going to know a whole lot.

With that said, the advice given here has been good. Even if it means a drive, I would definitely try to get a reasonable body supply store to match your current color. Back 20 years ago when I tackled painting my GT, my resources were buying books and VHS tapes from Eastwood company to learn how to paint. With YouTube, you can learn and see so much quicker that these projects are way less daunting.

Reactions: 1 users
The only thing to add to the conversation is the fact that if you are going to color match the bumper covers and side trim you need to go the distance to a real paint store and get it matched, it's not the original color.
And the 'mocking' was a humorous attempt at say'n ' that.
light'n up a little.

Yes, I do, and I will. Finding out Vogel does auto paint, it's right down the road. There's actually another place I found as well, but they said their machine is currently down and to check back next week.

No, you weren't mocking, you're good. :)

Reactions: 1 user

This place is really good.. I've used them for three of my foxbodies and each time the color has been a dead match even from the spray can

There are two o-reily stores here. Both have paint and supplies. One is really good, the other is a waste of time and resources. The store is only as good as the people that work there....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Pull up to a body shop and get them to put their computer gun thingy on it. It'll give you a basic paint mix for it. Coats of clear or some tinting may still need to be done but it would be real close. They may even mix up a can for you for a fee. Most colors don't match completely anyway. Usually paint is a bit different when sprayed on metal and on plastic parts. It'll be close than black though.

The Maaco near where I used to live used to use the computer to mix matching paint for older cars because most of the time they had faded to the point the original paint color would not match.

It's your car. I personally don't care for black bumpers on a red car....unless its truly two toned and pin striped at the meeting point of the two colors. ( old hot rod style ).

Pull up to a body shop and get them to put their computer gun thingy on it. It'll give you a basic paint mix for it. Coats of clear or some tinting may still need to be done but it would be real close. They may even mix up a can for you for a fee. Most colors don't match completely anyway. Usually paint is a bit different when sprayed on metal and on plastic parts. It'll be close than black though.

The Maaco near where I used to live used to use the computer to mix matching paint for older cars because most of the time they had faded to the point the original paint color would not match.

It's your car. I personally don't care for black bumpers on a red car....unless its truly two toned and pin striped at the meeting point of the two colors. ( old hot rod style ).

Yeah, everyone seems to be of identical opinion on that. The funny thing is, when I called about wrapping it, the guy who talked to me about it didn't think they could match the color and mentioned if I wanted to they could just do black on the bumpers and skirts, lol.

Oh well. Hopefully I'll have the car back tomorrow and I can get it matched. Sand the bumpers for a bit, spray them, be done.

I got the chance to go out to a few different places today to try and get the paint matched. I tried the previously suggested Diamond Vogel, but they don't do automotive paint. I then tried a PPG about ten miles away, but they don't either. They recommended a big shop called Keystone Automotive that I'd never heard of before, so I went there.

Now, before I go further, I would like to mention that I'm typically not one to get riled about little stuff. However, there are few things I like less than being called a liar. My experience is that know-it-alls are cowards when it comes to being wrong, so I don't expect an apology, but I wanted to be *really* clear about this so that I could avoid any more blatant trolling.

As such, I took a little video:

Next, I went out to a National Paint and Coatings place. They were a little bit more confident about the situation than the video above and said they could whip up a 4oz sample to try. However, when I asked them if they really believed that it would be a close match, they said they definitely did not think it would be and that it was very unlikely it would pass the eye test. They said you would almost certainly know that the bumpers had been painted differently than the rest of the car.

So... now I have no options, lol.

Other things you can try are a different shade base color under the red. Put down a little red, see if it’s dark or light, and base it off that. Red over a white base coat is much brighter than red over a black base. You can get a middle ground putting it over primer, silver, or charcoal.

Just food for thought if you want to play with a small piece of plastic until you find a “close enough” match.

Status
Not open for further replies.