Ported Edlebrock Intake

XxApolloxX97

Mar 7, 2017
Was wondering if anybody is running a ported edlebrock intake. Any noticeable gains? Who ported it? I'm thinking of having mhs port one for me since I'm getting stage 3 heads from them.

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering.......

SOHC or DOHC (2V, 3V, 4V)

4.6 or 5.4?

naturally aspirated (N/A), boosted, or nitrous oxide (NOS)?

Does your car have to pass SMOG tests?

Street driven or race?

Suggest doing your home work. You may be surprised that the plastic stock unit out performs many after market units except:
  • NOS applications
  • High RPM race applications

Last edited:
Just wondering.......

SOHC or DOHC (2V, 3V, 4V)

4.6 or 5.4?

naturally aspirated (N/A), boosted, or nitrous oxide (NOS)?

Does your car have to pass SMOG tests?

Street driven or race?

Suggest doing your home work. You may be surprised that the plastic stock unit out performs many after market units except:
  • NOS applications
  • High RPM race applications

SOHC 2V
NA
No smog (Ohio)!!!!
Summer driven so I'm fine with race.
And I'll be shifting around 7200-7500 rpm
And yes I have a built bottom end to handle that.

Checking the Edelbrock web site I don't see an intake for a modular 5.4. So that make make that decision easy.

SOHC 2V
And I'll be shifting around 7200-7500 rpm
Just wondering. Have you researched even if it's possible for the 5.4 to rev that high (physically)? Remember a 5.4 has a longer stroke than 4.6. To achieve higher RPM's requires the piston to up/down faster because they have more distance to travel. That why typically stroker motors generally have a lower RPM limit.

The other thing that strikes me about your combo is that you are working against HOW the 5.4 is designed to work. IE, lots of torque down low. The SHOC heads do have restricted air flow. In a truck application to get around this Ford uses a long runner intake.

Expect some hood clearance issues if using a long runner intake on a 5.4 in a Mustang.

IMO you may be asking for a tall order to have a N/A short running intake with a 5.4 SOHC 2V heads revving to 7500 (above the VE efficiency). Expect the problems to be even worse if mating a low profile 4.6 intake with an 5.4 adapter. To over come VE limitations many people resort to DOHC heads and/or boosting.

Checking the Edelbrock web site I don't see an intake for a modular 5.4. So that make make that decision easy.

Just wondering. Have you researched even if it's possible for the 5.4 to rev that high (physically)? Remember a 5.4 has a longer stroke than 4.6. To achieve higher RPM's requires the piston to up/down faster because they have more distance to travel. That why typically stroker motors generally have a lower RPM limit.

The other thing that strikes me about your combo is that you are working against HOW the 5.4 is designed to work. IE, lots of torque down low. The SHOC heads do have restricted air flow. In a truck application to get around this Ford uses a long runner intake.

Expect some hood clearance issues if using a long runner intake on a 5.4 in a Mustang.

IMO you may be asking for a tall order to have a N/A short running intake with a 5.4 SOHC 2V heads revving to 7500 (above the VE efficiency). Expect the problems to be even worse if mating a low profile 4.6 intake with an 5.4 adapter. To over come VE limitations many people resort to DOHC heads and/or boosting.

Yes I've done my research I've had help from MHS and MMR. The edlebrock will fit with adapter plates. Yes I'll have good clearance problems but I'm not worried about that. I have a cobra jet crank and forged pistons and rods that can handle the piston speed I've done all the calculations. If the gt500s can rev that high I'll be fine yes I know they have 4v heads but I'll be fine. They have 5.4 2vs reving a lot higher than that. Also that doesn't go against the 5.4 because I'll have a lot of torque down low where I'll need it and hp up top where you need hp. I appreciate the concern but I know my build I know it would be cheaper to turbo it but I don't want a turbo some people like supercharges others like turbos I like rpms.

Not to be rude but all I wanted to know was how people liked the ported edlebrock intake not a lecture on why MY way of building my motor is wrong or won't work I appreciate your concerns but in a world of possibilities like going to the moon spinning a 5.4 to 7500 is easy

Don't take it personally. We have to sort out the folks that are just throwing around terms they think make them sound like they know what they're doing and those that are genuinely doing what they claim.

Wmburns knows his stuff. And we get a lot off questionable posts. But don't be discouraged if you're doing something uncommon and it's met with more questions than answers.

Don't take it personally. We have to sort out the folks that are just throwing around terms they think make them sound like they know what they're doing and those that are genuinely doing what they claim.

Wmburns knows his stuff. And we get a lot off questionable posts. But don't be discouraged if you're doing something uncommon and it's met with more questions than answers.

No I'm not taking it personally and I meant no disrespect towards wmburms I honestly appreciate his concern it's good to have people like that I respect the help he was giving and I understand why he was concerned it is a far out there idea.

I've just had a couple people tell me my idea was stupid (a Ford lover in a family of Chevy big block fans) but I've had this planned out before my 4.6 blew up last August so I've been preparing for this build for almost 2 years now. I was just asking about how well the ported edlebrock intake was running for people that had it and what it cost.

wmburns I apologize I know you were only trying to help and I thank you for that. I meant no disrespect

That's the problem with doing something not a lot of people do most say do something simple and cheep or do what other people do which is easier because you have all the help you can get, I'm taking a hard route to help people that are being discouraged from doing something crazy (not saying he was discouraging me). A lot of people are scared of high reving I love the sound I have a teksid block that I wanna rev even higher lol