Power Brakes for a 66 v8

Scott66

Jan 4, 2010
Any help appreciated. Does anyone know what booster and master cylinder will fit a 66. I picked up a 67 master cylinder from AutoZone for $20 but it was too large using the stock booster. I have the 2010 GT brakes up front and 2000 discs in the rear. I know I can buy the setup for it for about $275 but that seems steep if you can pick up a generic master cylinder for $20. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

You couldn't get a 67 booster in there without a sledgehammer. Even then, it requires a special pedal, which won't fit in a 65-66.

The only booster I would consider is the OEM replica from Master Power Brake, which mounts on a bracket and lever assembly, and will even clear the stock clutch mechanism. They have it with single and dual master, I'd get the dual.

P1012750_large.JPG

Nothing 67 will bolt on, work on a 65, 66. None of the 65 66 Disc Brake cars were Power Disc, with a booster, all/every was a manual disc brake application.

Yes, there is not a application to fit a Disc Brake master on the Drum only bracket you have. Dual Bowl, or single.

So either you need to go No Booster Disc as all were. or a Aftermarket application that will provide "Power Disc Brakes".

Varing opinions as to which is better, that remains the buyer choice.

Dan @

Chockostang

I second the mustang steve site.

There are two ways i suggest going:
1) you buy steve's kit for a fox body setup in your car
2) you use your 67 MS with a booster from SSBC and have mustang steve supply a pedal with a relocated stud. then, get a brake push rod dog-leg adapter from rose hill performance. note, the link i show is for clutches, but ask him to sell just the double-barrel push rod adapter. i made my own, but he may sell them by themselves.

the second way is how i did it only because i got a nice chrome plated ms/booster from SSBC. SSBC failed to inform me their MS/Booster kit would make braking TOO easy since the lever arm on the 66's are designed for manual brakes. mustang steve had to relocate the stud for the push rod to decrease my lever-arm

The MPB item is dead easy, smooth, and reliable, and fits with stock clutch linkage. What's not to like? Personally, that kind of peace of mind with the brake system that's keeping you and your family alive is worth it, I don't like the idea of risking problems while squeezing the last dollar of savings from the brake conversion.