Progress Thread Project v6 What?!?!?!: 95 Saleen v6 Sport

There was some talk about the 4.2 and the 3.8 bolting up the same. Might eeek out a little more power. Not sure if it's true and I tried to search it again but no clear answer found.

• Sponsors (?)

There was some talk about the 4.2 and the 3.8 bolting up the same. Might eeek out a little more power. Not sure if it's true and I tried to search it again but no clear answer found.
This is true. I have built a number of 3.8/4.2 combos back in the early 2000s. In my hoarding cave is a NASCAR SVO 4.5 block and all the components to build one. It won’t be going in this build but if I wanted to build an extreme version of one I could.

Reactions: 1 user
No big updates right now, still working on the 97 Project right now but the 95 has been gutted, getting ready to have the floors and trunk blasted. @95steedamustang and I have already talked paint, how I’d like to restore it. We have also been communicating with a company to remake the stripes.

We also found out this week that this car has a one of a kind rear trunk decal that will also be recreated. Every time we mess with it we are finding something that this car has that was unique compared to any of the 94s that I have documented.

Reactions: 3 users
We also found out this week that this car has a one of a kind rear trunk decal that will also be recreated. Every time we mess with it we are finding something that this car has that was unique compared to any of the 94s that I have documented.
A guy or gal might like to see pics of these details so we can go on bookface and be [experts]. :coff:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
A guy or gal might like to see pics of these details so we can go on bookface and be [experts]. :coff:
You asked and you shall receive. I have been recording data on the 1994 Saleen V6 Sport since the early 2000s and knew Saleen ended the program in 1994. The information I have on this 95 is that it is the only one made. There was ten lined up to be made into v6 Sports but the program ended and they became S351s. This car is one of those 10 cars. I got some good info out of Saleen on the car when I talked to them, granted it took a few tries but eventually did get someone that was willing to help out.

Now onto the trunk decal. This first photo is how all 94's came. Picture is from one that is currently for sale.
Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 1.18.32 PM.png

You will notice there is no "Saleen" decal on the trunk lid, just the "V6 Sport" decal. The other thing that is missing is the Saleen Tail Light covers. From my records of all the 94s I have recorded, none came with them from the factory. It was supposed to be standard equipment but was omitted. Now for my 95.

IMG_5452.jpeg

The first thing that sticks out, is it has the tail light covers. Big win for me, but an odd thing, it has the "Saleen" decal on the trunk lid. If you look really close to the right hand side of the "Saleen" decal you will see some tiny letters, that says "SPORT" and if you look even closer you can see in the paint fade the "V6". However this is not the same decal used on the 94s. I missed this detail when @95steedamustang sent me the photos when he picked it up. I noticed the "SPORT" but didn't think much about it and thought it was cool it has the "Saleen" decal. Now forward to this week as we hunted and I mean hunted for a company that was willing to do the side stripes, I wanted them to also produce the "V6 SPORT" decal from the 94, but Kevin was like "Hold Up!" told me to take a closer look, so I did and low and behold here is what it actually looks like. (Sorry for my crappy hand drawn outline.)

IMG_9510_modified.jpeg

This looked very familiar to me, So I go digging through my hoarding of decals throughout the years and low and behold.

v6_decal.jpg

I already have the correct "style" decal in my stash. The size isn't correct but that doesn't matter. We can use this and have the sizing corrected to make the correct trunk decal.

Kevin and I agree that this decal looks much better anyways, so will be the decal that will end up on the trunk. I will be having the 94 version created and put away (I have NOS originals of those).

I know this car will never have the value of an S351, it will never have a high demand like an S351, but the fact it is the only 95 known to exist and it has every options on the car that they were supposed to come with, minus the Supercharger (It was an option, which I have ready for it), this will be the most complete V6 Sport. I want it restored back to original state but better. That is why I have taken my time to track down things like a company willing to do the side stripes correctly.

I thought I was excited about the Resto Mod 1997 Saleen S281, but this 95 will be my favorite restoration ever, and I think Kevin is chomping at the bit to get started as well because I know he is as excited, if it not more than me.

To this date, I have yet to see this car in person. I have been waiting until my next trip out to see Kevin and work on the 97 to see it.

• Winner
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
All good stuff! I mean, it wasn't until recently that I even knew these things existed.

Thankfully, I've avoided any conversation that includes me saying the words, "Saleen 6 banger; Are you high?" :jester:

I’m hearing a lot of that now. You are restoring a What!?!?
And thats exactly why I cant wait to do this car. I’ve done just about every possible mustang. Shelbys, cobras, saleens, mach 1s etc. But Ive never done a 1 yr only car and the only one in 1995…and a car most have never even heard of….and we’re going to do it right. Every detail will be perfect. It will be a show stopper that will probably only hit a debut show and then its gone back into hiding

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Danny from " counting cars" used to go see an older guy who had a collection inside his house.. 30 ish cars in a room in his NICE home... I know this guy died and his brother took over his last project, a Cadillac if I recall... It won the Riddler Award....
Some really spectacular cars there...