Fox Question about how to use a thread repairer

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
I cross threaded the threads for one of the bolts that holds the throttle cable bracket on my 92 GT. They make a m8x1.25 thread repair kit which is the size I need. However the size of the new threads/coil is about .49 inches, while the bolt is about .75 inches. Do I need to get a coil that is the same length or does it not matter.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys think the tap will work? I was reading up on that and I ordered a taper tap which I’ll use first and then I ordered a bottoming tap to finish it. I’m hoping that’s all I need to fix these threads.

Attachments

• E337DB1A-6620-4777-BDAC-2C84447401F4.jpeg
    E337DB1A-6620-4777-BDAC-2C84447401F4.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 54
  • D5EB2F14-A70E-498F-8D59-0D40E8325187.jpeg
    D5EB2F14-A70E-498F-8D59-0D40E8325187.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 16EF927B-DF77-4543-A50C-3DBEE5CC3D5F.jpeg
    16EF927B-DF77-4543-A50C-3DBEE5CC3D5F.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 52
You guys think the tap will work? I was reading up on that and I ordered a taper tap which I’ll use first and then I ordered a bottoming tap to finish it. I’m hoping that’s all I need to fix these threads.
Generally, you get the entire kit unless you already possess the tools.

A kit generally includes:

The size [Helicoil]/insert that you require
The appropriate size drill bit
The appropriate size Tap
The appropriately sized Insert Seating Tool
Some goo
Instructions

There's nothing wrong with getting them all separate but the kit guarantees that you have what you need for the size.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally, you get the entire kit unless you already possess the tools.

A kit generally includes:

The size [Helicoil]/insert that you require
The appropriate size drill bit
The appropriate size Tap
The appropriately sized Insert Seating Tool
Some goo
Instructions

There's nothing wrong with getting them all separate but the kit guarantees that you have what you need for the size.
No I’m saying just using a tap to rethread the hole. No coil. A buddy of mine said to try that first if the threads aren’t too bad.

No I’m saying just using a tap to rethread the hole. No coil. A buddy of mine said to try that first if the threads aren’t too bad.
Ah.... I see what you're saying. Just clean out the hole really well and tape off anything the shavings could get into. You will know if it needs more once you get your eyeballs on the rethreaded hole.

Reactions: 1 user
The .5in coil will be plenty for that size hole.

The pictures aren’t great, but it almost looks like there’s nothing left of the threads in that plate. I would’ve probably just gone straight in with a heli coil so it’ll be good in the future.

Here’s a better pic. Looks like the threads are gone for about the first third of the hole then they go back to normal. Let me know what you guys think the best course of action is

Attachments

• 47C720CB-7BB4-465D-AA7E-F63C1743BD08.jpeg
    47C720CB-7BB4-465D-AA7E-F63C1743BD08.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 45
Shoot if that’s the case I’d just hit it with a thread chaser and put a longer bolt in it. You’ve got more than enough good thread in there still.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you send me an example of a thread chaser that would work? Whenever I look that up a whole bunch of different things come up.
Just make it easy and go pick up a m8x1.25 plug tap. It’s just gonna be used to clean up the first thread for the ones that are left.

Or go get a longer bolt and just try that. Might not even need the threads cleaned up.

Just make it easy and go pick up a m8x1.25 plug tap. It’s just gonna be used to clean up the first thread for the ones that are left.

Or go get a longer bolt and just try that. Might not even need the threads cleaned up.
Ok sounds good. Yesterday I ordered a set of m8x1.25 taps. It comes with a taper, plug, and bottoming tap. You think I should just use the plug or would I benefit from using one of the other ones as well.

Ok sounds good. Yesterday I ordered a set of m8x1.25 taps. It comes with a taper, plug, and bottoming tap. You think I should just use the plug or would I benefit from using one of the other ones as well.
From that, you would use the [Tap] and carefully thread it into the hole...

back it out
clean it
thread it back in some more
back it out
clean it
rinse and repeat

A good air compressor for cleaning it out between passes makes it all easy. A little bit of oil on the tap and on the threads will help too. Clean the tap between passes as well.

Get a quality replacement bolt and ensure that it's the same grade as its sister bolts. ARP comes to mind.

Update on how it ended up going:
Put the tap in and made a fresh new set of threads. I screwed the bolt in and it did the same thing it did before. It goes in about 60% of the way and then stops. I also went to deep with the tap and popped up the powder coat on my intake of the back side of the hole. You cant see it at all but I’m hoping that doesn’t compromise the rest of the powder coat and make it start popping up. I think I’m just gonna put some washers on it to fill the gap between the bolt and the intake and call it a day.

Can you use a stud in that location instead of a bolt?

My concern with your washer method is that you're going to be grabbing even fewer threads than before.

Leaking intakes uh... [suck] :tss: