Engine Question If Donor Car Will Work Out

93LXFOX

Dec 6, 2017
So i recently picked up a pretty clean 93 lx with a 2.3l in it with plans to swap to out of the next yr or two. well today i found a donor for a really good price and need to make sure thing swill all work as planned.

The donor is a 2000 mountaineer with a 5.0 engine with an auto transmission. the engine has 40k miles and the transmission has around 60k. What i need to know is will the engine, rear end and trans swap over to my 93 fox body with very few issues? Also because ill need a 5.0 wiring harness and ecu can i pull all of that out of the truck and install it in my car? With my knowledge it should be able to get switched over with very few issues. i know ill need a different set of headers, exhaust and radiator/fan which isn't a problem. Is their anything else i should be worried about.

the donor doesn't have ac and has damaged power steering reservoir so i probably won't have either until a later date.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I have never heard of anyone trying to do this. While the Explorer engine will work in a fox with a few mods trying to use all the Explorer/Mountaineer driveline is going to be difficult.

The Mountaineer has a much more advanced engine management system (Obd2) than a fox ever came with. Also a lot of the newer Ford came with the PATS (passive anti-theft) that requires coded keys. All this would need to be grafted into the fox thus requiring the entire wiring harness and maybe even the instrument cluster and ignition switch. The Mountaineer may even have a returnless fuel system that would need to be dealt with.

I have no clue if the trans will fit or if the rear end is the right width.

If it were me I would find a doner fox for the rear end, wiring, computer, and brakes/spindles. If you could get just the Mountaineer engine that would be a good power plant. You would need a fox distributor.

I have never heard of anyone trying to do this. While the Explorer engine will work in a fox with a few mods trying to use all the Explorer/Mountaineer driveline is going to be difficult.

The Mountaineer has a much more advanced engine management system (Obd2) than a fox ever came with. Also a lot of the newer Ford came with the PATS (passive anti-theft) that requires coded keys. All this would need to be grafted into the fox thus requiring the entire wiring harness and maybe even the instrument cluster and ignition switch. The Mountaineer may even have a returnless fuel system that would need to be dealt with.

I have no clue if the trans will fit or if the rear end is the right width.

If it were me I would find a doner fox for the rear end, wiring, computer, and brakes/spindles. If you could get just the Mountaineer engine that would be a good power plant. You would need a fox distributor.

the mountaineer is mine already, I got it for free from my mom. So lets say i just take the motor and put that in the fox and deal with the motor and transmission on another day. What things would i need to get the motor in the fox?

You'd need a third donor really...an original V8 fox.

You would just subsitute the mustang short block and intake for the explorer, but all the little odds and ends like fuel lines, wiring, accessories, brackets etc would need to come from the V8 mustang donor.

Trans and rear are useless to you really.

You'd need a third donor really...an original V8 fox.

You would just subsitute the mustang short block and intake for the explorer, but all the little odds and ends like fuel lines, wiring, accessories, brackets etc would need to come from the V8 mustang donor.

Trans and rear are useless to you really.

That’s what I’m trying to find out. If I only use the motor and intake what else would I need. What brackets,what wiring (aside from 5.0 harness), what accessories, what fuel related items.

Too much to list, to start with the entire wiring harness, gauge cluster, fuel system, transmission, rear axel, radiator, all engine brackets and more.
It can be done but it may be better to drive the 4 cylinder car and pick up a V8 stang that needs an engine. Your gonna need a V8 car for all the stuff anyway. And some stuff like wiring is going to be year spacific or trans and maf or speed density on pre 89 cars, it can get confusing.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s what I’m trying to find out. If I only use the motor and intake what else would I need. What brackets,what wiring (aside from 5.0 harness), what accessories, what fuel related items.

It's not as easy as it sounds... you pretty much have to touch everything and if you don't have a donor fox 5L car to pull from and compare your going to have a hell of a time.

Like said. You'll go nuts trying to track down every little bolt or bracket without a donor car to pick off. Plus it will nickel and dime you to the point of not making it cost effective. Individual harnesses are up in value these days so you'll probably spend $200-400 on wiring alone. Then it's $30 here for a bracket, $50 here for fox fuel rail, $200 for V8 specific fuel lines, $30 in bolts, etc etc.

Yank the motor out of the explorer, part the rest out and send to junkyard. After that, find a V8 mustang donor....1992-1993 preferable as it will make wiring changeover most easiest

not how it works.jpg

Just finish doing what you are about to attempt. Have or had which ever you prefer a 93 2.3L. Pulled that drive train out and used a donor 93 T-Bird 5.0 engine and trans. Basically a 94 mustang engine and bracket set-up with an AOD. Had to source the fuel lines, brake lines engine mounts, rear end and cross member. Also new parts were drive shaft, Tach, and wiring harness. I found a mustang dismantler on CList and got it all cheaper that probably buying a whole car for parts. 4 bills for all the used stuff including wiring harness. Not much demand for it anymore. Most people have moved on to the later ones as they are cheap now. If you are planning on your swap you really need the mustang parts. 94-95 stang stuff will work for motor and brackets if you stay will the complete set-up. Plan on spending some time doing this. But the best thing and a Plus for me was my 2.3 car was pristine with nice torque boxes and underside. Not beat to hell as most 5.0 cars are that are that old. message me if you need some help.

Just finish doing what you are about to attempt. Have or had which ever you prefer a 93 2.3L. Pulled that drive train out and used a donor 93 T-Bird 5.0 engine and trans. Basically a 94 mustang engine and bracket set-up with an AOD. Had to source the fuel lines, brake lines engine mounts, rear end and cross member. Also new parts were drive shaft, Tach, and wiring harness. I found a mustang dismantler on CList and got it all cheaper that probably buying a whole car for parts. 4 bills for all the used stuff including wiring harness. Not much demand for it anymore. Most people have moved on to the later ones as they are cheap now. If you are planning on your swap you really need the mustang parts. 94-95 stang stuff will work for motor and brackets if you stay will the complete set-up. Plan on spending some time doing this. But the best thing and a Plus for me was my 2.3 car was pristine with nice torque boxes and underside. Not beat to hell as most 5.0 cars are that are that old. message me if you need some help.

The foxbody is a 93 in great shape aside from very minor things like sunroof seal and rear shocks(which a friend gave me new ones for free). I got the motor for free so even if I spend a grand on parts to make
It work it’s not that serious. Really looking for info on what I would need to at least make the motor work. I know the stock trans and rear end gears won’t hold up but I would even keep those as is for now till I found a solid t5 for a good price. I know I
Need fuel lines, mounts, harness, distributer?, and Ecu for sure. Things like suspension won’t stop the engine from being swapped even though it will need to be swapped very soon after. Really I would partnout the rest of the truck to cover those parts or come out of pocket. This project isn’t about finances, it’s about resources. I really just want the info to move forward with the project

Type in Google Fox body 2.3L swap to 5.0. There are a couple of articles in one of the Ford mags that outlines the parts needed.
The motor will work with stang motor mounts. K member is the same for both 2.3 and 5.0. Tranny out of the donor or your original out of the 2.3 will not work. I think the tailshaft is too long. Rear from donor, no way. You can keep the current rear as all 2.3's came with 3:73 gears but no posi. front suspension will work for now. Mine sits and rides well but I swapped out the cast iron heads and lost a couple tons off the motor. Drive shaft will work with a standard T5 but the front yoke will need to be swapped if you put in an AOD or 4R70W.
get you a stifflers cross member as they are adjustable for any trans configuration and they are very nice and strong.
You will need the computer and harness for a 91-93 but would be better out of a 93 if you want your air bag to work. I live in Texas and 25 year old cars are exempt from smog check so I tossed all the smog crap on my build. Made it real easy. I went Stock 5.0 harness and it plugged right into the factory 2.3 dash harness. I ditched the Stock PCU for an MSPNP2.