rack and pinion what's the difference between these??

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
I need a new rack & pinion and autozone has a reman that's $75 and it is 2.5 turns to lock. Latemodel restore has one that says Kit Includes:- 15:1 Quick Ratio Power Steering Rack
- Black Urethane Rack Bushings (Non-offset)
- RH/LH Outer Tie Rods and they want $250 for it. Seems a little high the only thing I can tell is that it comes with outer tierods and bushings. Big difference between $250 and $75. It is also a reman by the way
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-3504A-KIT/85-93-Mustang-Power-Steering-Rack-Kit-50L

• Sponsors (?)

autozone has a a 2.5, 2.25, and a 3 turns to lock rack. Will any one of these fit my LX or do I have to go with the 3 turns, which I think is the one that is in now? I don't believe I will be opting for the $250 unit from latemodel since I don't think its any different than say the 2.25 unit and can't justify a $175 difference just to include outer tie rods and a couple bushings.

Whatever supplier you use, I highly recommend the quick-ratio GT rack. The racks are interchangeable between like model years.

I know it's tempting to get the $75 rack because it's so cheap, but the quality of AutoZone's remanufactured parts has declined substantially in recent years. The rack is not something you want to remove for a warranty exchange, especially when the car will need an alignment each time one is put in. It's a gamble.

I got the 15:1 ratio rack from Napa for just over $100 with my core. I believe they call it "performance". Granted it's just my weekend car but so far no issues after about 1,500 miles. Their rack also comes with 1 piece steering rack bushings, but I opted for the ES red urethane bushings.

autozone has a a 2.5, 2.25, and a 3 turns to lock rack. Will any one of these fit my LX or do I have to go with the 3 turns, which I think is the one that is in now? I don't believe I will be opting for the $250 unit from latemodel since I don't think its any different than say the 2.25 unit and can't justify a $175 difference just to include outer tie rods and a couple bushings.

the 2.25 one does not actually exist, i believe its some error somewhere, the 2.5 and 3 were the only ones available from the factory. go with the 2.5.

I just installed a 2.5 lock to lock on mine not too long ago. I took a chance and bought it from Advance. With the P20 online promo code I only end up paying like $60. So far no problems. With the new tie rod ends and urethane rack bushings it steers like a new car again.

You only want to do the rack once, so my usual opininion applies, no autozone parts.

I use an agr 12:1 rack, little expensive, but for me it was well worth the money. The 12:1 isn't available anymore, but the 15:1 should be. May take a couple of days to get used to how easy the car is to steer, but after you adjust there is no other way to fly.

Reactions: 1 user
the 2.25 one does not actually exist, i believe its some error somewhere, the 2.5 and 3 were the only ones available from the factory. go with the 2.5.

Not true. The 2.25 racks started getting put in from the factory when they went to 16-inch wheels. It's the same rack as the 2.5 with $5 worth of travel limiters installed.

Go with the autozone one, and the quick ratio one is better, less turns to lock=quicker steering response. I got mine from advance, I've had no problem with it at all and they have a lifetime warranty so make a copy of your receipt and keep it somewhere safe, when it goes bad take it off and swap it out, rather then having to worry about shipping it back to latemodel or whatever.

EDIT: Reading the above posts I believe advance only had 2 options 2.5 and 3, I went with 2.5