Replacing front suspension, what to get?

• Sponsors (?)

VibrantRedGT said:
Actually the QA1 has two mounting spots. I used the closest one foward. It will drop the car down a bit. The front of my car is slammed. I'm only like 2 inches from the fender. I'm only using FRPP C springs which is 1 inch front, 7/8th in the back.

Really? I didn't see that in the pics I found, and it's not listed on their website...Got any pics of it? :D

Killercanary said:
http://www.paracing.com

I did a TON of research and it all pointed to going with PA. Jason's service is top notch, as well as his parts. I only got to run the car one time with the K member before I hurt it, but it was immediately worth a 2 tenth reduction in ET. I will NEVER own another mustang without a tubular K member, I'd own one for the clearance alone.

What setup did u get on that k-member paul? What are spring perches? And does the drop rack just lower the motor? Do u need to get anything else done for the crossmember or anything if the motor is lower?

I'm not an expert, but I don't see a real need for going overkill with all MM stuff. I've been hanging around on the corner-carvers.com forums and reading up a lot. I was planning on buying the MM Starter Box, but at my current stage I realized that the Bullitt kit with MM c/c plates and Full-Length subframes would be a better starting point for an occasional autocrosser.

I would pick the best value the money, especially since your car will not hit the track that often.

illwood said:
I was told to be cautious about tubular front control arms on a daily driver. I know that roads in MA can be seriously crappy and if you hit a pothole hard with the tubular front control arms, you could bend them pretty easily.

My plan for front suspension includes a QA1 tubular K-member, CC plates, Steeda STB (already have), Tokico Illuminas, and '03 Cobra front control arms.

What do the 03 cobra arms have over ours?

See the part where the motor mounts will bolt up? It has two long sections. I used the front one. I don't see how the tranny brace would bolt up if the back slot was used.

KMember.jpg

Stock heavy bulky ass thing. Know how much crap I found in that thing? Sockets, drill bits, screwdrivers, spark plug......(which all added weight)
IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0427.jpg

K member, Stange adjustable struts and modified stock A arms.
IMAG0428.jpg

Attachments

• KMember.jpg
    KMember.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0429.jpg
    IMAG0429.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0427.jpg
    IMAG0427.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0428.jpg
    IMAG0428.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 28
With the motor removed we had the stock K out and QA1 installed in about 10 minutes. The stock A-Arms had to modified with a grinder so that really was the longest part for me. Those switching to tubular A arms should be about another 2 minutes to install.

Here is a tip. If using the stock motor mounts you must grind off the tabs at the bottom of them. I forgot and had to pull the motor back up and grind them down.

VibrantRedGT said:
With the motor removed we had the stock K out and QA1 installed in about 10 minutes. The stock A-Arms had to modified with a grinder so that really was the longest part for me. Those switching to tubular A arms should be about another 2 minutes to install.

Here is a tip. If using the stock motor mounts you must grind off the tabs at the bottom of them. I forgot and had to pull the motor back up and grind them down.

Sounds pretty damn EASY! I think im gonna go with the PAracing one that Paul posted...it says it can be used with stock a-arms. I plan on getting the 03 cobras or maybe tubular later on. But i would rather do the k-member now while the motor is out. The other stuff isnt a big must right now and can wait.

Thanks for the heads up on the motor mounts.

VibrantRedGT said:
Actually the QA1 has two mounting spots. I used the closest one foward. It will drop the car down a bit. The front of my car is slammed. I'm only like 2 inches from the fender. I'm only using FRPP C springs which is 1 inch front, 7/8th in the back.

I'll get a better pic of the front tomorrow.
Garage12-29-05.jpg

So the k-member is responsible for it being so low? Those two "slots" for the motor mounts?

Is that a QA1 thing or will that happen with all tubular k-members?

I found this site, http://www.thefordsource.com/store/motorsports/qa1_1.htm, the QA1 k-member is $219.

I think im gonna go with either the PA piece or the QA1. I just dont know what a "drop rack" is and what exactly are spring perches. :shrug:

Attachments

• Garage12-29-05.jpg
    Garage12-29-05.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
my setup as of now has:

eibach sportlines
kyb agx shocks/struts (8 way adjustable real, 4 way adjustable front) much less expensive than the tokikos and konis btw
steeda 3 bolt c/c plates

soon to come:

steeda subframes
qa1 k-member
03 cobra a-arms
steeda bumpsteer kit
steeda upper and lower control arms
steeda hd swaybars

should make a kickass combo.....

as far as the reason i want the k-member, my 1-5/8" longtubes were a hassle going in. when we put in joe's 1-3/8" longtubes with the qa1 k-member, they went in like clockwork. the added clearance alone is worth the cost of the part.

VibrantRedGT said:
See the part where the motor mounts will bolt up? It has two long sections. I used the front one. I don't see how the tranny brace would bolt up if the back slot was used.

KMember.jpg

That's not what Im talking about, but it doesn't matter anyways because I just found the Griggs k-member only has two mounting holes on the 96+ parts. This is what I was talking about, see where the control arm bolts to the k-member, there's two mounting holes there.
kmember.jpg

nmcgrawj, Im not sure about the drop rack, but the spring perches are what you need if you're not installing coil overs.

Attachments

• KMember.jpg
    KMember.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 38
  • kmember.jpg
    kmember.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 38
Ok, now I see what your talking about. Since I reused my stock A arms I'm not familiar with that.

I do know that my car was never that low before so the K did bring the nose down some. There is no way that I would want it any lower then it is. I already have to crawl over speed bumps with the drop and LT headers.

nmcgrawj, the 03 A arms will still have to be modified to fit (grinder action). The PA unit is nice. I was originally going with that one but my buddy ordered one and it was beat to hell. Not all the PA ones are like that but it scared me enough. I remember Paul had an install issue with his. The AJE is also a great K. Most of them if used with regular spings will come with spring perches so you can use stock A arms (or 03 Cobra's). Just need to specify that when ordering it. The $219 price is excellent for that QA1. I paid close to that.

VibrantRedGT said:
nmcgrawj, the 03 A arms will still have to be modified to fit (grinder action). The PA unit is nice. I was originally going with that one but my buddy ordered one and it was beat to hell. Not all the PA ones are like that but it scared me enough. I remember Paul had an install issue with his. The AJE is also a great K. Most of them if used with regular spings will come with spring perches so you can use stock A arms (or 03 Cobra's). Just need to specify that when ordering it. The $219 price is excellent for that QA1. I paid close to that.

Do you have to modify stock or cobra A arms for every k-member or just the Qa1?

KMember_large.jpg

I see this one doesnt have the two optional slots like yours does...have they changed the design or something?

I guess i got some reading to do...it seems hard to decide which one is the best one.:shrug:

The 03 Cobra A arms will need to be modified for sure. There is a steel lip over the bushings it will need to be grind down about a half inch. This will need to be done with every K member that says "will work with stock A arms" (QA1, AJE, D&D, PA, etc.). My Harbour Freight $12 grinder took care of it in about 10 minutes per side.

I got 350# and it rides awesome, hudge improvement and its still a nice ride, its deff perfect for my street stang and could still hit autoX once and a while if i really wated. I wouldnt go over 375# on a street car IMO.

All this research is fun stuff! :rolleyes: It looks like the Griggs k-member moves the control arms 1" forward, which requires modifications to the fender/bumper for clearance. I didn't want to spend $600+ on a k member anyways. :)

Check this out about the QA1, http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=574477&highlight=qa1*. Looks like a good setup for what I want. That's probably what Im gonna end up going with unless I find some extra cash for the MM kit.

Also found out these specs on the QA1,
I called QA1 not too long ago, looking for specs.
half inch increase in wheelbase and half inch increase in wheel length.
He said if I was using their A-arms also it would increase both another .25 inch. So .75 and .75