Saw a 85 2.3 SVO at track...

And that thing was slow!

He was getting beat by most cars except stock civics

The guy was young but seemed to know a little about Mustangs and drag racing in general

The car was in bad need of restoration but the body was very straight.

***I myself do NOT know a dang thing about turbo Mustangs!
So what advice should I give him if I ever run into this guy at the track again?

He said he had just baught it after it was sitting in a barn for 3 years

He said he did a complete standard tune up and nothing else.

He yanked the AC out, passenger seat and rear seats were out of it too.

He also said that he thinks that the engine seems to be starving for fuel at high RPM.

He also kept telling people that the engine was all stock but it was "pushing 17 lbs of Boost"?

• Sponsors (?)

It may be stock at 17 psi of boost on his car...Those gauges seen to be off to me. My car was plus 3 pis of boost from what the stock gauge said. I mean when my car said 12 psi I was doing 15 psi. His gauge probly at 17 psi is really 15 psi. As for slow how slow are we talking any ways? If its a older 85' stock SVO they was only rated at 15.5's and the 85.5 SVO was 15.1 in the 1/4. So if he's slower than that he's got issues.

Maybe he wasn't slow.
I guess was just expecting that car to move a lot faster than it did

I was comparing it to many other stock 5.0's to include his buddies 5.0 LX
with crank pully, K&N, stock mufflers w/turndowns, 5 speed w/2:73 rear which was always getting to the 1/8 mile finish by about 2-3 car lengths before the SVO each time.

Does that sound right?
I just do not know about stock Mustang SVO's
I have never seen one race at my local track EVER!

I was under the impression that those SVO's were as fast as a stock 5.0 due to less weight and better weight transfer?

He was saying that his goal for the night was to hit a flat 9 in the 1/8th of mile which translates to how much in 1/4 mile?

And no I didn't get a chance to ask him what his times were.

The reason I know about the other cars is that I went early so I could see what goes on at the pre inspection.

I myself still need to get myself and my LX to the track for the first time ever!

I hope I don't sound like I'm talking down at SVO's
I just want to be eduacated a little about them.
Thanks

Well if its been sitting, and he doesnt know much about the O's then his "tune-up" was probly a tune-down. The best thing he can do is join Turboford.org and start reading up, Depending on year of the svo...should be even/ahead of the same year 5.0's.

In the 1/8th I would expect it to get beat by same year 5.0's by a bit...it should be damn close by the end of a 1/4 though. Sounds like it was running about like a stock SVO to me.

He's got some high expectations to hit 9 flat in a stock SVO when that converts to a 14.13...I'd expect him to run something more like 9.6-9.9 (15.0-15.5).

Stinger said:
In the 1/8th I would expect it to get beat by same year 5.0's by a bit...it should be damn close by the end of a 1/4 though. Sounds like it was running about like a stock SVO to me.

He's got some high expectations to hit 9 flat in a stock SVO when that converts to a 14.13...I'd expect him to run something more like 9.6-9.9 (15.0-15.5).

That sounds about righ to me also. I wonder which 85' SVO he has anways? Do you know if the head lights are flush with the marker lights or counter sunk? If there flush it may be a 85.5 and he will have a good chance at making high 14's easy. If its a older 85's he's got a little work a head of him. I would tell him Like Woodster said: Join TurboFord.org and do lots of reading.

10HoleLX said:
The headlights were sunk in.

The next time I see him I'll tell him to look up StangNet.
After reading your replies, it does sound like if the guy didn't know all that much about his newly aquired SVO

Thanks everyone!

Np. Heres a few links that is almost a must have. Tell him to do a search on most of his questions to save time and space first since I'm sure most of its been cover a few times.

http://www.TurboFord.org/index.shtml

http://www.SVOCA.com/

Ray III said:
SVO's only had 205hp, and probably not as fat a torque curve as a N/A engine. The 5.0's of 87 were 225hp.

Umm...I think they was talking about compering hp of the 85' SVO (older 175hp) to the same year GT. In 1985 there was two different GTs and two different SVOs. The older 85' SVO did 175 hp while the 85.5 did 210hp. Now the 1985 GTs had a EFI which did 185 and a 4 bl carb that did 210. As you can see thise could be a close race between the same year GT and SVO. I've had fun with the same year GT as my SVO before and that guy was a true Turbo fan when he caught up :nice:

84-85' SVO 175 hp
85.5'-86 SVO 205-210hp
87-93 GTs 225hp