Seeking Guidance - Mild 2V build

alwayshi

Feb 22, 2019
Hawaii
Hello everyone,
I recently picked up a 2000 GT 5 speed and looking to do a mild build. Shooting for a reliable 320-350 rwhp (I think 100 more than stock should definitely be a fun weekend/street car).

I’ll attach what the cars specs are currently. I’m definitely wanting to add cams to the 2V because honestly, these 2V’s sound amazing! I still need to check which injectors I really have, and plan to ditch the crappy hyper tech for something more substantial. From what I’ve read, the basic bolt ons are there. I just don’t know what else is needed to reach the goal (maybe supercharger?)

I’ve lurked and read that 400rwhp is the max for our stock internal block, yet seen posts of members going well beyond that mark with forced induction. So how true is that 400 on a stock block?

Any guidance and tips are appreciated!

Here are the specs and of course, the pic of the car.

Attachments

• 3FC22440-0576-4C85-8BF7-A501B28328CC.jpeg
    3FC22440-0576-4C85-8BF7-A501B28328CC.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 221
  • 5734C38D-DA3E-404B-B9F2-348CA0352481.jpeg
    5734C38D-DA3E-404B-B9F2-348CA0352481.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 3935591B-360E-458B-9279-2D3A8411400F.jpeg
    3935591B-360E-458B-9279-2D3A8411400F.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 239
  • A5AC8328-37ED-452C-96A3-CA8B80127D43.jpeg
    A5AC8328-37ED-452C-96A3-CA8B80127D43.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 244
  • Sponsors (?)

With your current mods you are probably in the 245-255rwhp range. To get to 320-350rwhp naturally aspirated it is going to take more than mild upgrades to get there unfortunately. You are going to need to get some head work (or trickflow heads), aggressive cams (“stage 2 or higher”), and consider piston / rod upgrades to increase your compression.

If you want 100rwhp more than stock the easiest ways to get there are either a 100 shot nitrous kit or a supercharger kit. Both can be safely run on the stock motor, would meet your goal, and would give you excellent drivability.

I’m still on the stock motor. These cars were made for boost. :D

With your current mods you are probably in the 245-255rwhp range. To get to 320-350rwhp naturally aspirated it is going to take more than mild upgrades to get there unfortunately. You are going to need to get some head work (or trickflow heads), aggressive cams (“stage 2 or higher”), and consider piston / rod upgrades to increase your compression.

If you want 100rwhp more than stock the easiest ways to get there are either a 100 shot nitrous kit or a supercharger kit. Both can be safely run on the stock motor, would meet your goal, and would give you excellent drivability.

I’m still on the stock motor. These cars were made for boost. :D

Thanks for the response and honesty!

Which kit are you running? Idk which chooses to choose from on American muscle between the Vortech v1-v3 kits haha

Thanks for the response and honesty!

Which kit are you running? Idk which chooses to choose from on American muscle between the Vortech v1-v3 kits haha

I am running the polished V3 tuner kit. https://www.americanmuscle.com/vortech-v3-sitrim-supercharger-tuner-kit-polished-9904-gt.html

I like the V3 si trim- has its own oil vs having to tap the engine’s oil pan and is a good middle of the road supercharger (good price and good powerband).

The reason I picked this kit is that I just wanted the core items. Tuner kits allow you to select the supporting components yourself. I added the following: SCT tuner + dyno tune, fuel injectors, upgraded fuel pump, one step colder spark plugs (NGK TR6’s), SCT MAF, aluminum piping kit (had the piping professionally welded), Mishimoto air to air three row intercooler, tial BOV, custom power pipe.

Picking a complete kit from the American muscle site is a good option too - just depends on what you want the final setup to be.

Attachments

• 9A62393A-F5E0-4851-9FC3-79DC809F1C18.jpeg
    9A62393A-F5E0-4851-9FC3-79DC809F1C18.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 393
I am running the polished V3 tuner kit. https://www.americanmuscle.com/vortech-v3-sitrim-supercharger-tuner-kit-polished-9904-gt.html

I like the V3 si trim- has its own oil vs having to tap the engine’s oil pan and is a good middle of the road supercharger (good price and good powerband).

The reason I picked this kit is that I just wanted the core items. Tuner kits allow you to select the supporting components yourself. I added the following: SCT tuner + dyno tune, fuel injectors, upgraded fuel pump, one step colder spark plugs (NGK TR6’s), SCT MAF, aluminum piping kit (had the piping professionally welded), Mishimoto air to air three row intercooler, tial BOV, custom power pipe.

Picking a complete kit from the American muscle site is a good option too - just depends on what you want the final setup to be.

I definitely agree, and like the idea of a self lubricating system. After further reading, looks like I will have to purchase a tuner kit due to the fact I have additional bolt ons that the supplied tune cannot account for in a complete kit.
What were your numbers? Are 42 lb injectors still available? Some thread said they weren’t...and I’ve also read that the SVT focus pump has some issues. Which pump and lb injectors did you go with?

Idk if I plan to run an intercooler in mine just yet..I also have to verify with the local dyno shop that he has experience with tuning using SCT. pretty sure he does, but doesn’t hurt to ask and make sure right?

Seems like the mustang forums are dying for the sn95’s. Can’t find much new info (all threads are dated 2009 or older) and the classifieds are just as dead if looking for used stuff. This is my first domestic vehicle and never thought I’d have such difficulty

@alwayshi What exactly are you looking for? You said you can't find much new info. Have you tried keyword searching the forums here. There are plenty of old threads that still provide the information your looking for. I'm a complete NA build 300 RWHP on the dyno. My only upgrade's I'm missing is the pistons, rods and bore kit. Everything else has been upgraded with the motor. 9 grand in parts. stage 3 cams, trick flow heads, manifold, air intake, pulleys, long tube headers, exhaust, plenum and intake, fuel rails, fuel pump. Everything even down to the aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, stage 3 clutch, 410 gears rebuilt 8.8 rear end. I'm even custom tuning my own vehicle after a shop didn't tune it right. Learning along the way but I bet I will tune it better. What would you like to know?

P.s Supercharge the stang and don't go full NA build. TRUST ME. Will save you lots of headache and time. I wish I'd done that from the beginning.

@alwayshi What exactly are you looking for? You said you can't find much new info. Have you tried keyword searching the forums here. There are plenty of old threads that still provide the information your looking for. I'm a complete NA build 300 RWHP on the dyno. My only upgrade's I'm missing is the pistons, rods and bore kit. Everything else has been upgraded with the motor. 9 grand in parts. stage 3 cams, trick flow heads, manifold, air intake, pulleys, long tube headers, exhaust, plenum and intake, fuel rails, fuel pump. Everything even down to the aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, stage 3 clutch, 410 gears rebuilt 8.8 rear end. I'm even custom tuning my own vehicle after a shop didn't tune it right. Learning along the way but I bet I will tune it better. What would you like to know?

P.s Supercharge the stang and don't go full NA build. TRUST ME. Will save you lots of headache and time. I wish I'd done that from the beginning.

I’m having hard time finding used superchargers hahaha

I’ve come to grasp an NA build will cost more than a blower. Just hunting for one now (if I can find a used one)

@alwayshi Smartest way of adding horsepower is supercharging it. Make sure to get pictures and post here when done with the build. Check out all the premium dealers. Call them all and get advice before making a decision based off 1 guys experience. Google is your best friend!

I went with 47lb injectors because they support in to the low 500rwhp range on stock fuel pressure: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-ev6-47-injectors.html

I went with the TU229HP fuel pump. Direct drop in. For your year you’ll have to check your VIN - the TU228 might match your VIN. I’m just over 90% duty cycle at WOT so it is time for an upgrade. It is perfect for the power level you are looking for http://www.fuel-pumps.net/tu229hp.html

I’d recommend an intercooler. Cooler air is always better. Either go with an air to air blow thru setup like mine or pick one of the kits that comes with a cooler system of some sort.

Find yourself a good dyno tuner before you spend any money so that you can plan out your project.

Check out the kenne bell site too - you’ll spend a little more but they make high quality complete kits. Twin screw torque is tons of fun.

@alwayshi Smartest way of adding horsepower is supercharging it. Make sure to get pictures and post here when done with the build. Check out all the premium dealers. Call them all and get advice before making a decision based off 1 guys experience. Google is your best friend!
I went with 47lb injectors because they support in to the low 500rwhp range on stock fuel pressure: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-ev6-47-injectors.html

I went with the TU229HP fuel pump. Direct drop in. For your year you’ll have to check your VIN - the TU228 might match your VIN. I’m just over 90% duty cycle at WOT so it is time for an upgrade. It is perfect for the power level you are looking for http://www.fuel-pumps.net/tu229hp.html

I’d recommend an intercooler. Cooler air is always better. Either go with an air to air blow thru setup like mine or pick one of the kits that comes with a cooler system of some sort.

Find yourself a good dyno tuner before you spend any money so that you can plan out your project.

Check out the kenne bell site too - you’ll spend a little more but they make high quality complete kits. Twin screw torque is tons of fun.

See, I’m really glad I joined the forum to ask because no one really builds modular motors here. There’s a few, but the vast majority is still futting around with Honda’s, or motors I could never afford lol.

I’ve seen the kenne bell chargers listed on American muscle and LMR. But I thought those are for cobras? I’m really not intuitive with domestic vehicles, I’m trying to read as much as I can and appreciate the help!

@alwayshi BTW when purchasing injectors go with the ford racing #47 lbs. They have charts for the low and high slopes. This is extremely important to have so the injectors are set at the proper settings. Ford has all the charts listed for thiers. Many other suppliers don't have the charts which makes tuning extremely hard to get everything set correctly.

The picture is from my injector settings in the tune. This is what the charts show so the tuner can plug in the numbers right from the manufacturer suggested settings.
Low high slopes.PNG

You can find your ford racing injectors here. https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-ev6-47-injectors.html?utm_content=Engine - Fuel|Ford Performance&T5_Var4=50162&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1vS7vsLZ4AIVchh9Ch2O4QknEAYYASABEgIbK_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just double check other suppliers as someone may have them cheaper. BTW I'd guy with #47 lb injectors. Nothing hurts with going bigger and it leaves you room in case you ever need it.

+1 on the 47lb injectors

http://kennebell.net/products/super...-supercharger-kit-mustang-46-26-28-1996-2004/

Kenne bell’s most popular choice is the 2.1L. If the sky is the limit - check out their 2.6 and 2.8L options too.

Overall there is no “bad choice”. Centris and twin screw blowers both make good power (my dyno is attached as a comparison). The 2v engine does well with boost and all the blower kits on American muscle or a Kenne Bell will easily put you in your target range. Comes down to user preference and budget.

Attachments

• 6921F94B-513A-4651-855D-4E271950863C.jpeg
    6921F94B-513A-4651-855D-4E271950863C.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 181
@alwayshi BTW when purchasing injectors go with the ford racing #47 lbs. They have charts for the low and high slopes. This is extremely important to have so the injectors are set at the proper settings. Ford has all the charts listed for thiers. Many other suppliers don't have the charts which makes tuning extremely hard to get everything set correctly.

The picture is from my injector settings in the tune. This is what the charts show so the tuner can plug in the numbers right from the manufacturer suggested settings.
Low high slopes.PNG

You can find your ford racing injectors here. https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-ev6-47-injectors.html?utm_content=Engine - Fuel|Ford Performance&T5_Var4=50162&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1vS7vsLZ4AIVchh9Ch2O4QknEAYYASABEgIbK_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just double check other suppliers as someone may have them cheaper. BTW I'd guy with #47 lb injectors. Nothing hurts with going bigger and it leaves you room in case you ever need it.

Great info! The PO stayed he changed the injectors with ford racing but forgot the size. According to the website, it’s the regular 19# ers. Shucks..he also said he changed the fuel pump but if the injectors are factory sized, I’m just gonna assume the same for the pump as well

+1 on the 47lb injectors

http://kennebell.net/products/super...-supercharger-kit-mustang-46-26-28-1996-2004/

Kenne bell’s most popular choice is the 2.1L. If the sky is the limit - check out their 2.6 and 2.8L options too.

Overall there is no “bad choice”. Centris and twin screw blowers both make good power (my dyno is attached as a comparison). The 2v engine does well with boost and all the blower kits on American muscle or a Kenne Bell will easily put you in your target range. Comes down to user preference and budget.

Awesome numbers!

I ran across that budget $1500 charger thread. It’s probably more than that now but essentially cheaper than a brand new kit. I think overall to be safe, I’m just gonna save for a KB kit. Do they have a tuner kit available so I can run 47 lb injectors? That would help with their expensive price, and allow me to have a safe cushion with fuel like you guys stated

Great info! The PO stayed he changed the injectors with ford racing but forgot the size. According to the website, it’s the regular 19# ers. Shucks..he also said he changed the fuel pump but if the injectors are factory sized, I’m just gonna assume the same for the pump as well

Awesome numbers!

I ran across that budget $1500 charger thread. It’s probably more than that now but essentially cheaper than a brand new kit. I think overall to be safe, I’m just gonna save for a KB kit. Do they have a tuner kit available so I can run 47 lb injectors? That would help with their expensive price, and allow me to have a safe cushion with fuel like you guys stated

If you call them you can customize your setup. I’d get their biggest throttle body and get their big air intake as well. They send a tune with their kits so you can discuss what injectors are best for which setup (and with future goals in mind).