should i get a 97 cobra for $2000?

95mustang_gt

Mar 30, 2005
Wisconsin
well here is the deal,i work at the ford dealership and one of the techs got a cobra from some guy for 1300.The car has beening seating in a garage for about a year.The problem is that it was spraying coolant everywhere,so the guy think its a head gasket and he started to take apart but then decide not to do it anymore.So it got towed to a techs house and i came over to look at it.Its in really good condition,it has 100,000 miles,a bassani xpipe and exhaust,thats all i could tell.

I told him i would give him 2000 this week and he said fine it doesnt want to put it together anyway.So my question is it hard to change a head gasket on a cobra engine.Is it worth $2000.

thanks for any info

Jesse

• Sponsors (?)

95mustang_gt said:
well here is the deal,i work at the ford dealership and one of the techs got a cobra from some guy for 1300.The car has beening seating in a garage for about a year.The problem is that it was spraying coolant everywhere,so the guy think its a head gasket and he started to take apart but then decide not to do it anymore.So it got towed to a techs house and i came over to look at it.Its in really good condition,it has 100,000 miles,a bassani xpipe and exhaust,thats all i could tell.

I told him i would give him 2000 this week and he said fine it doesnt want to put it together anyway.So my question is it hard to change a head gasket on a cobra engine.Is it worth $2000.

thanks for any info

Jesse

Well Jesse

That is a bit more than I would pay for a beater so you don't put too many miles on your REAL Stang. :rlaugh:

Just Kiddin :)

Kinda ;)

You Bet :banana:

2 Grand for a 97 Cobra is great :D

Free hot rod parts!

Get it ... Fix it ... Sell it ............... There you have it :nice:

Grady

Yea, be careful there isn't a something wrong with it.

There is something about buying a car that you can't even start up, suggesting motor problems, not to mention trans, suspension anything.

Most likely there isn't anything wrong, but you never know, if this might make or break you, then give it some heavy consideration.

On the other hand, you can probably make the money back parting it out.

Also, there is a major advantage to the 99+ DOHC engines, read up about it, I think between 96-01 the DOHC engines came with different heads and what not. I know the newer ones (in the Mach 1 and late Cobras) are bad arse so if you do have to swap a new motor, you do have a good platform to start from!'

Good Luck!

I doubt it's stolen - I think the guy who's selling it would be stupid enough to sell it from his house if it is indeed stolen. That's like holding a gun in front of a police officer.

I'd lean more towards the 'it's been wrecked' side. A '97 Cobra with 100k and a blown HG could still sell for more than 2000 bucks. Christ, a 90 GT with 100k and a blown HG could go for 2000.

But, if everything else does workout OK and it really is what you say it is, go for it. You'd better have knowledgable help with you because a Chiltons or Haynes isn't going to do dick for you if you're referencing a HG swap on a DOHC motor.

Joe

alright everyone thanks for the info.The guy is dropping the title later today at the techs house. if it doesnt have a lean or the title looks funny then its a different story but if everything is good then the car will be in my backyard tomorrow.Ill keep you guys posted on this deal.

thanks
Jesse