Should I mod my Foxbody

Stock vs Upgrade

• Total voters
Just looking for some suggestions from enthusiasts... I just recently purchased a 87 Mustang LX. 5.0 5 speed 57,000 miles. Completely Bone stock. Should I leave it alone? Or ..

5 lug disk brake
Mass air swap
Updated Interior
17” wheels
Lowering springs
Headers and mild exhaust

4DEC567F-1609-4DD4-944B-425BE17514F2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

That’s the million dollar question. Your car, your choice. They sure are getting fewer and further between when finding stock ones, but what good is a stock fox over an updated one? Hope that helps. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Your car. Your call. But you can always modify the car, keep the stock parts and undo it one day and go back to stock. For headers and exhaust no need to do the mass air swap.

Some days I wish my car was stock again...sometimes. But since you also have a black LX....
IMG_2071.JPG

Since the 87-88 hatch LXs came with base 4 cyl seats, I'd track down a ckean set of 87-89 GT tweed high-back seats with the big headrests. Swap those in, clean the interior up and call it a day.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
The only way I would keep a Fox Body stock was if you had some kind of real time capsule. I mean show room quality with extremely low mileage or a limited or special edition car. With that said, I really don’t think you will be hurting the cars value by doing some tasteful mods. And you will definitely be increasing the fun factor. And like was said earlier, if you ever want to go back to stock, you can. Just save all your parts.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been debating finding myself a near stock '86 GT with t tops or an 87-89 GT and doing a full stock Resto. If I had your car, 10-holes new headlights, buff and wax and then go though the underhood and restore/replace with oem Ford or Motorcraft parts.

Keep the stock parts and try not to do anything that can't be undone. Don't mess the interior up. And if you must lower it, dont go too low. Do it right or you'll *uck up alot of things like poor ride quality, poor front end geometery, tires rubbing, bottoming out, etc

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I got my front lowered 1.5”. Stock rear springs and height. I like the old school raked look. This picture exaggerates it a bit.
CEBFC6D0-5D29-4E1E-B03F-54D2A5D409EA.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
That 'thing' is real, I remember when I only wanted to fix the drivers seat in my stang, before long I had the whole interior out and was replacing the ac/heater core, dynomat from dash board to taillights, new carpet ect, by the time I got it back together I couldn't afford to fix the seat! :doh:

Reactions: 1 user
Your car. Your call. But you can always modify the car, keep the stock parts and undo it one day and go back to stock. For headers and exhaust no need to do the mass air swap.

Some days I wish my car was stock again...sometimes. But since you also have a black LX....
IMG_2071.JPG

Since the 87-88 hatch LXs came with base 4 cyl seats, I'd track down a ckean set of 87-89 GT tweed high-back seats with the big headrests. Swap those in, clean the interior up and call it a day.
I think he should get a nice set of Recaros Mike ;)

Reactions: 1 user