SN95 T5 in Foxbody

usafnotch

Jul 19, 2005
MONTANA
Holy molly, i cant believe it has been 8 years since I posted something!

Greetings everybody,

I feel like i need to reintroduce myself its been so long. Long time foxbody and newedge fanboy. In no particular order I've owned a 87 Gt, 90 LX notch, 91 Gt, 83 Gt, two different 93 LX 5.0's, 93 Cobra, 00 Gt, 03 Mach 1, 01 Bullitt, and a 2001 Cobra. Yes, I love Mustangs!! Yes I even tried the whole Focus ST thing and hated it.

I'm pretty familiar with whats going on but going to need to advice and help on my first build. I will have lots of questions and suggestions on what i should do. I recently purchased a 89 SSP notch for a killer deal. I also purchased an 347 stroker long block years ago that I will be putting in (will have many questions on this in later posts).

Anyways strangely enough its an original 5 speed car, but the previous owner put an AOD in it (dont ask me why!)lol. Locally, I acquired an SN95 T5 rebuilt to T5Z specs, with a SN95 bellhousing and clutch fork. I know I need to use the SN95 bellhousing if I use the longer input shaft which is install now. I heard I need to use a mini starter and shorten the driveshaft so the shifter doesn't sit back too far. Its this all true? If I need to shortening the driveshaft, how much would i need to take off?

• Sponsors (?)

T5 and 347 though? A lot of people won’t touch a T5 with an HCI 302 if they are starting a new build. The T5Z is supposed to be rated at 330 tq, which you should make with the 347. Just somethings to think about.

T5 and 347 though? A lot of people won’t touch a T5 with an HCI 302 if they are starting a new build. The T5Z is supposed to be rated at 330 tq, which you should make with the 347. Just somethings to think about.
I hear ya. Gonna save for a TKO eventually. It’s mostly gonna be street car with only radials till I have the tranny to support the extra torque.

Reactions: 1 user
Makes sense now that you said that. I heard most people get by without having to shortened the drive shaft. I hope I’m one of those statistics.

Check for bind very carefully with the rear suspension fully compressed. Running a long driveshaft can cause problems that aren't noticed initially.

Your SN95 T5 should be the stronger rated T5. You may be OK for a while with the 347 but you never know.

You might be better off rebuilding the AOD w/ 4R70W internals, or swapping in a '98 or later 4R70W w/ a controller box.

Check for bind very carefully with the rear suspension fully compressed. Running a long driveshaft can cause problems that aren't noticed initially.

Your SN95 T5 should be the stronger rated T5. You may be OK for a while with the 347 but you never know.

You might be better off rebuilding the AOD w/ 4R70W internals, or swapping in a '98 or later 4R70W w/ a controller box.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep an eye on it. I should be good for a while. The T5 came out of a 95 Cobra and has a fresh rebuild with zero miles.

Be advised that you'll need to use SN95 5.0 headers (if using long tubes) or mid pipe (if using shorties). The ONLY difference between long tube headers and mid pipes between SN95 and Fox 5.0s (other than the EGR bung on the SN95 headers) is a slightly different routing of the driver's side tube(s) due to the different position of the clutch fork. The clutch fork on the Fox bell housing is near to the 9-o'clock position while it's closer to 7-o'clock on the SN95 bell housing. Long tubes or a mid pipe designed for a Fox WILL NOT fit if you're using the later bell housing.

Be advised that you'll need to use SN95 5.0 headers (if using long tubes) or mid pipe (if using shorties). The ONLY difference between long tube headers and mid pipes between SN95 and Fox 5.0s (other than the EGR bung on the SN95 headers) is a slightly different routing of the driver's side tube(s) due to the different position of the clutch fork. The clutch fork on the Fox bell housing is near to the 9-o'clock position while it's closer to 7-o'clock on the SN95 bell housing. Long tubes or a mid pipe designed for a Fox WILL NOT fit if you're using the later bell housing.
Really? Didn’t think of that. It has shorties on it now with a O/R H pipe. Looks like I’ll have to get a new mid pipe. Crap!! Thanks for the heads up.

I understand that you already have it, but I'd sell it before you break it and go straight to a TKO. Or, look into the companies that are reputed to build a power capable T5, like astro.

If you do go with it anyway, keep it on street tires and don't powershift.

I understand that you already have it, but I'd sell it before you break it and go straight to a TKO. Or, look into the companies that are reputed to build a power capable T5, like astro.

If you do go with it anyway, keep it on street tires and don't powershift.
I hear ya. I would love to do it right first. Just don’t have 2k to drop right now on a TKO. I’m pretty easy on my tranny’s, but then again this will be my first 347. If it goes then it’s a excuse to do a A5 kit later on

Reactions: 1 user