SO 3 weeks after new engine starts, i really get to feel what it has TODAY!

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
lol if u have been reading my topics.. my car ran slower than my stock engine.. only trapped 95 while my old stock engine mangaged 99 mph traps.

today i was tinkering around. Car has been running pretty sloppy, had a horrible header leak.

I figured i would replace the fuel filter. people on here suggested it, and it was cheap and easy so why not.
while i was there for the fuel filter, i asked if they had any good header gaskets in stock. Luckily i got the last pair, they are MR gasket ultra seal gasket, 12 bucks sounded like a good deal..

so i get to the garage, swap out the stock gaskets for the new ones, i am getting to be a master at header gasket swaps lol.... I get them one, take them for a drive, get them warm and nice, go back and re tighten them.

i jack up the car for the fuel filter, i swap the fuel filter. easy enough lol

i figured i would check my timing... i loosen the distributor. go to start the car, no start. acted like it was out of gas, would start and pop and die then would just crank after 5 mins or so.

i find a small gas can in the garage, dump it in the tank. turns out it was a mix, gas and weedeater oil YIKES lol.

i find some good gas, dump it in, car still wouldnt start. I checked for spark, moved the dizzy. checked everything, i started to get pissed. i gave the diz a small turn and the car fires right up. i had moved the dizy b4, so i guess the weedeater oil was jackin with it, it burned all of it hehe the car smelled like a weedeater for 10 mins.

i go to advance the timing, ever since i have had the new engine, the dizzy has always looked like it was turned too counter clockwise, but it was aligned with my marks on the balancer. So i figured it was right, so i set the timing to my 10 deg mark on the balancer. car idled low like it always has.

took it to get gas, car was a DOG, wouldnt pull itself at all. popped and was just plain slow and doggy. turns out what i thought was 10deg adv was WAY RETARDED. I get back to the garage, adjust the timing, but this time by ear. i advance it until the engine sounds a little healthier, idled alot better and a bit higher.

took the car out for a drive.

WHAM! after 3 weeks i really feel what the new engine has. car picked up ALOT, i mean ALOT! when i goose it in 1st, its like the car is just revving up. the tach FLIES and i mean FLIES to the rev limiter. car sounds like a monster, no leaks and just plain sounds healthy, my bucking problem. its gone. i definatly felt a big difference, i can say for sure my car is faster.

car runs awesome and i am sure this was my whole problem...

thanks everyone who helped me.

ps, what would cause the timing marks to be so off on the balancer, when in good time the marks are 1.5 inches to the right of the pointer.

• Sponsors (?)

Well take it to the track and find out. Don't guess.

There's no way your timing marks should be off on the harmonic balancer unless the key is starting to shear off or something.

Foxfan88 said:
I get back to the garage, adjust the timing, but this time by ear. i advance it until the engine sounds a little healthier, idled alot better and a bit higher.

WTF man, drive over to the local parts store and 99% of them have a timing light you can use. Hell most shops will loan you one for 5 min to check it.

I think it was the 2cycle oil that did it. J/K

Glad you got it fixed. I knew it was somthing simple, a combo like yours is similar to what I had and I war running 8.4's at 85mph in the 1/8th. Good luck. Sometimes, timing by ear is the best way. I noticed with mine, when I timed it by ear I got the best performance.

Grey5.0Beast: That was mean.

Boss351: I agree, the balancer can be wrong.

I would suggest pulling the #1 plug and on the compression stroke; see where the balancer is marked at TDC. They sell timing strips because this is such a common problem, mismarked balancers.