Some exhaust welding help needed

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
So I am back where I started a few months ago installing the dual exhaust in my 83.. I have a new MIG welder that I am using..
My question is where is the best spot to weld the hanger to the muffler??
Should I try to bend the hanger so it welds to the round flange where the end of the muffler meets the body of the muffler?
If I can bend it so it fits against the flat end of the muffler, after wrapping it around the round flange again, should I weld it to the flat end of the muffler too??
Is it easy to get burn through on a muffler??

What about wrapping the hanger around the exhaust pipe and welding to the exhaust pipe? Is it easy to burn through on the pipe??

I just spent time welding up some cracks in my floor and everyone has said thats one of the toughest areas to weld....
Can someone give me some advice before I mess up here??
thanks...

A pic of the hangers I am using..
1717193045138.png
1717193045138.png

• Sponsors (?)

My buddy used to own and exhaust shop and he welded them to the end of the muffler. I would say the muffler material and the pipe material are about tue same thickness. If you have your old muffler practice on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I did it to the pipe on my setup.
You put me on those double muffler hangers from some later models... I plan on attaching one to the back of the muffler and I want to wrap one around ( at least partway) the pipe.....

I have all of the pipe, mufflers and clamps on the car.. Looks pretty darn good...
Had a Gout attack on my knee and can't walk, besides having it hurt like hell.... Or I might of had a little " welding done"//
Getting old really sucks.......

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Every time I had hangers welded in, the exhaust was already installed.

They put the car up in the air, find a couple convenient locations and weld the hooks and retainers at the same time.

Amazingly, they always fit when done that way. :nice:

I used a vice and leverage to contour the hanger roughly to the pipe and did a tack. Once I was happy with the location I sent it. Was pretty easy to not burn through the pipe. At least I didn’t have much issue.

I had stainless pipes, and stainless hangers, so I used some 309SS filler rod on my MiG.

I used a vice and leverage to contour the hanger roughly to the pipe and did a tack. Once I was happy with the location I sent it. Was pretty easy to not burn through the pipe. At least I didn’t have much issue.

I had stainless pipes, and stainless hangers, so I used some 309SS filler rod on my MiG.
Did you bend it cold?

Mapp no longer exists, that blue flame stuff isn't much better then regular old propane, buy the cheaper propane and heat with the blue tip of the flame, if you don't have an oxy torch. real mapp burned about 1500* hotter, the stuff they sell now is just riding the coat tails of it.

True MAPP gas hasn't been available for a long time.... it was discontinued about 15 years ago. The stuff being sold now is MAP-Pro, which does not have any acetylene in it.... so it only burns about 130°F hotter than propane (3730°F vs 3600°F). The MAP-Pro does however have an approximately 10% higher btu output than propane, effectively transferring more heat to the subject. (The original MAPP gas burned at about 5300°F.)

True MAPP gas hasn't been available for a long time.... it was discontinued about 15 years ago. The stuff being sold now is MAP-Pro, which does not have any acetylene in it.... so it only burns about 130°F hotter than propane (3730°F vs 3600°F). The MAP-Pro does however have an approximately 10% higher btu output than propane, effectively transferring more heat to the subject. (The original MAPP gas burned at about 5300°F.)
99% of it is the torch head your using the benzo "mapp" kits have a better torch. Stick a propane bottle on it and it works just as well.

Just Curious, why was the real MAPP discontinued? Can I assume it was to save stupid people?? LOL....

• Agree