Sparkplugs for an 03 Mach 1???

EPIK

Jul 3, 2004
LEFT COAST
Which sparkplugs are the best to use in my 03 Mach 1...I havent changed em yet & Im gonna be dynoing my car on sunday so I figured now (43k miles) would be a good time to do so...I am getting mixed answers from people, & I pretty much only used stock motorcrafts when I changed them on my other stangs. Most people said i should go one heat range colder, but I am getting different opinions as far a platinum, Iridium, & copper.. I want whatever is gonna make my car run the best...

should i use...

-stock motorcraft platinum
-autolite platinum
-autolite copper
-NGK iridium
-Denso iridium

Any help or suggestins would be much appreciated & part #'s would help too....thanks

• Sponsors (?)

can't go wrong with any quality brand really:shrug:

copper conducts electricity better but doesn't last as long as platinum, some say copper is the way to go since it adds power but these are also the same people who say a K&N air filter or switching to royal purple adds power

whatever you choose there's no need to move to a colder plug

copper conducts electricity better but doesn't last as long as platinum, some say copper is the way to go since it adds power but these are also the same people who say a K&N air filter or switching to royal purple adds power

Thanks man...My buddy keeps telling me to go with the autolite copper plugs because they supposedly are better performing than platinums, & are very cheap...The down side is they dont last as long, but I only drive my car a few thousand miles a year anyway....

In some situations RP and K&N add power :shrug:

I say go with the stock plugs....if they are copper.

DONT go 1 heat range colder....thats useless for your car and will just reduce power. :nice:

DONT go 1 heat range colder....thats useless for your car and will just reduce power. :nice:

Thanks...The stock plugs are platinum I beleive...How about the autolite stock replacement, or NGK Iridiums?? I would buy Motorcraft, but most of the parts stores out here dont carry em...

Mine has 26,000 miles on it, I was going to switch to coppers for the hell of it but the stock platinum plugs have a nickel coating so they don't rust. I think the only other plug like that in copper is a Champion. The way they sit in the head I wouldn't want rust forming in there; especially in cylinders 4 and 8.

Mine has 26,000 miles on it, I was going to switch to coppers for the hell of it but the stock platinum plugs have a nickel coating so they don't rust. I think the only other plug like that in copper is a Champion. The way they sit in the head I wouldn't want rust forming in there; especially in cylinders 4 and 8.

I need to figure out what Im gonna use by tomorrow....Probably just gonna run a stock replacement, or the NGK TRX55's (I think thats what there called)...

BTW, you almost ran the same time as me @ the track...I think mine was 13.78 @ 103, but this was on balding street tires & it was my 1st time ever going to the track....Our cars are way faster than that though...

Right on bro! :nice:

Royal Purple has been shown in independent tests that it can free up horsepower. I can honestly say my 02 felt more free revving as soon as I made the switch to RP. Catch it on sale or on EBay and never look back.
K&N filters also have been shown to free up horsepower. It's why it's the first recommended mod for all cars, trucks, SUVs, etc - I added one to my wife's Pathfinder in the first week of buying it.
Does it add alot of power - heck no...but it all adds up and it allows thew engine to take bigger gulps of air - as you add more bolt ons or cams, or a power adder, things like RP and a K&N filter will really show their worth. Regardless, both are good insurance for a healthy engine.

Copper is the choice for most - they are cheap and effective...while they don't last as long as platinum tipped plugs, the shorter life allows you to inspect them on a more regular schedule...not a bad thing at all. Stay with the stock heat range unless you have a power adder.

I need to figure out what Im gonna use by tomorrow....Probably just gonna run a stock replacement, or the NGK TRX55's (I think thats what there called)...

BTW, you almost ran the same time as me @ the track...I think mine was 13.78 @ 103, but this was on balding street tires & it was my 1st time ever going to the track....Our cars are way faster than that though...

These were old BFG's that were dry and it was like 26 degrees outside. All the cars faster then 9 seconds were told to pack it in. Also it was at full weight, I left in the spare and everything, plus it was the second week I had the car and I wasn't used to launching it. Excuses, Excuses . . .