speedo gear nightmare....what gear should I have?

• Sponsors (?)

It is possible. A couple years ago a member did pull the tailhousing out with the trans in the car. He explained how he did it and it required some clever ways to line up the detent and roll pin while finagling the tailhousing on.

I’ve pulled dozens of T5s apart and I’d still rather just pull the trans.

But yes….it can be done. Won’t be easy.

It is possible. A couple years ago a member did pull the tailhousing out with the trans in the car. He explained how he did it and it required some clever ways to line up the detent and roll pin while finagling the tailhousing on.

Gotcha and i don't wanna fight it .
Actually went to a guy with a lift who did one for my other car years ago and when we got it up on the lift and he looked at it he was thinking there was a gasket tail shaft gasket needed so I was going to order that. I didn't have a signal there so I waited till I got back in town about 10 miles away or so and made a call to the parts store near him and they didn't have one.

When I looked online to find one I couldn't really find anything I was like it should be pretty easy to find it. So I called LMR and the guy told me indeed there's no gasket for it just use a little RTV. So when I called him back for him to go ahead and knock it out today it was getting a little late and he wanted me to bring it back next week. It's almost an hour away so I'm going to consider probably just knocking it up myself I don't know yet. I'm going to refresh myself with some videos on doing it and see. But if I do do it I will get the car up on four jack stands high enough and pull the whole trans out

How much fluid will come out if im just taking it loose at the Bell? And I'll put a ziplock bag over end of shaft. Quart size good or gallon?

I keep an old drive shaft yoke around and slide it in before pulling the trans.
Small bead of silicone with your finger when putting it back together? Nothing crazy? I guess some I guess a little bit with ooze out of the side anyway but I will but I will let it tack up before I fasten it

I keep an old drive shaft yoke around and slide it in before pulling the trans.
Lastly another motivation for me to probably just do it myself and depends on what Bernard was going to charge me which he normally is not high on his labor. But another motivation for me to just do it myself is if after the silicone is applied and tacked up and fastened together how long it is best to let it cure before you start the car up and drive it because I will be at his shop and don't necessarily want to wait some hours or whatever like I would do if I was home I would not drive at the same day I would go ahead and just let it sit the rest of the day in fully cure before I move the car.

Cure time necessary if I went to his shop?

Sorry. Misunderstood the question.

If you are just taking it off the trans, you might get some out of the end of the trans.

I used this in the end of the transmission, and left the VSS installed and just disconnect the speedo cable. Then you can get it out without much spillage.

There is some risk to the VSS obviously as it will stick out. You can always remove it, and tilt the trans to the pass side as you take it out, or try plugging the hole with a rag to stop leakage from there.

But you need to drain it anyway to pull the tailhousing, so might as well do it in car.

Reactions: 1 user
Dug back in my pics. Looks like last time I pulled my t5 I did exactly what I described. Plug in the rear, left the VSS and then drained it out of the car. Likely pulled the plug and let it drain overnigh.

1184652C-A81D-422D-A2EF-DD5B27E058C4.jpeg

Sorry. Misunderstood the question.

If you are just taking it off the trans, you might get some out of the end of the trans.

I used this in the end of the transmission, and left the VSS installed and just disconnect the speedo cable. Then you can get it out without much spillage.

There is some risk to the VSS obviously as it will stick out. You can always remove it, and tilt the trans to the pass side as you take it out, or try plugging the hole with a rag to stop leakage from there.

But you need to drain it anyway to pull the tailhousing, so might as well do it in car.
i attempted to pick up my v6 trans earlier and I was like dang that sucker is heavier than I thought lol. I'll definitely need to get a trans jack from harbor frieght and take it back more than likely when I'm done. When I took my 95 apart and removed everything to dismantle the car when i took the trans out I might have lowered it down with a jack and got it done but wasn't exactly perfect in it not wanting to roll to one side. A trans jack I'll definitely pick up to make it easier. Depending on what Bernard is going to charge I might just take it to him and get it up on the lift and knock it out in a few hours or so.

No cure time needed after resealing the tail shaft before I head home? By the time he gets it back together and in might be a good hour ish anyway so it will have cured some after torquing the pieces back together.