Suspension Steering column help - can this be fixed??

JK79Cobra

Sep 20, 2021
Hi Folks,
I really wanted to join this forum and enjoy the goings on as I used to with some of my other classics. I Didn't want to jump right in with questions but, as I have been taking apart the "new to me" 79 Cobra I found what appears to me to be pretty disturbing. I have never seen anything like this and, have never had to work on a steering column. So, I am asking the group what I need to do here.. Hopefully, it goes without saying I appreciate any and all replies. Or, maybe bail money if I decide to visit the guy who sold it to me like this.. Just kidding.. maybe...
20211101_200519.jpg
20211101_200636.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve seen the cast parts crack, especially the Multifunction switch. It looks like two bolts are missing, and the clamp is doing the job. Is that JB weld on one side? It’s an easy fix - if you can find the part.

Thank you for the reply, Yes, it looks like JB weld to me as well.
"It’s an easy fix - if you can find the part."
If you don't mind, could you tell me what the part is that I need? Thank you in advance..

I would need the parts catalog (even on computer) to remember the collar’s name and even give you a part number. Your pics will help at Ford, MPS auto or a salvage yard with a Hollanders part exchange.

I would need the parts catalog (even on computer) to remember the collar’s name and even give you a part number. Your pics will help at Ford, MPS auto or a salvage yard with a Hollanders part exchange.
Thank you, appreciate the replies. I have taken apart alot of pieces from my cars over the years... never a steering column:)

Oh, they are fun!!! :nice: I just had to do some repairs to my column in the dump truck PITA but very satisfying when it's done.
Now for the good news, or not :shrug: it's a tilt column right? And I may be able to help.

Reactions: 1 user
That is the tilt housing
Obtainable I believe
Easy is a state of mind
I think they are bitchy to replace
I have broken one installing it back in the old dealer days
I have one on my shelf but it is for a newer column
If you hold your mouth right the tilt pins come right out and the replacement is easy

That is the tilt housing
Obtainable I believe
Easy is a state of mind
If you hold your mouth right the tilt pins come right out and the replacement is easy
Very much appreciate the name of the part.. hopefully I can locate one. Thank you for the info.

That is the tilt housing
Obtainable I believe
Easy is a state of mind
They did not get more creative with the name? That was nice of Ford’s Part Monkeys.
The handy thing about this is once your wheel comes off, it is easy to get to. (If I recall correctly. It’s been a while since I or a friend had a 1979. They were 8- 13 year old cars then.)

I hear more and more fox cars referred to as classics :oops:
reminds me how old I am, R&R that steering column didn't help :mad:
I'll swim over to the storage shed today and grab that one I have, I think it's an 86 but it may not matter. Be back later :runaway:

Reactions: 1 users
My wife does not agree but it has always been
20 years a classic
30 years an antique
I got antique plates on my 90 Corvette in 2020 so I can skip the 40 dollar I/M test
Yeah the wife is right again
1990 anything is not an antique

JK79Cobra,
You can cookbook that column pretty easy using the ford manuals
Local library AllData free
A trick I used to use because I was working alone
Take and compress the spring and hold it compressed with bailing wire about 3 or 4 straps worth
Then when you reassemble the tilt you just cut the wires and pull them out
If you have an assistant you can have them push like hell on the mean ass spring while you put the tilt pins in
Somebody usually gets smacked in the face means compress the spring

Thank you for that info! I am looking into it now. Also
JK79Cobra,
Take and compress the spring and hold it compressed with bailing wire about 3 or 4 straps worth
If you have an assistant you can have them push like hell on the mean ass spring while you put the tilt pins in
Somebody usually gets smacked in the face means compress the sp
JK79Cobra,
Somebody usually gets smacked in the face means compress the spring
Thank you for that info, I am looking into it now. Also, trying to find the part. I will post what I find out.

Talked to Curt at Parts Direct. First of all awesome person! Here is what he provided:
"SO, THE ILLUSTRATION FOR THE STEERING COLUMN ARE THE SAME FOR 1979 AND 1980,
THE LOWER FLANGE FOR THE STEERING COLUMN IS PART # E63Z-3511-A, WHICH IS THE ONE THE CYLINDER AND KEY FOR THE IGNITION SIT IN.
THE UPPER FLANGE WAS D9AZ-3511-A Replaced By EOAZ-3511-B AND UPDATED PINS -N801013-S, BOTH ARE OBSOLETE FROM FORD.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY MORE ASSISTANCE, CURT / PARTS DIRECT 267-628-2868"

Attachments

• Section_WithoutParts11_05_2021.pdf
    191.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Hell Yeah!
That's a thought, I stopped being surprised at same parts across different platforms, the column may not fit but parts attached may, sorry I didn't make it to the 'shed' today, rained most of the day so I hid in the 'office'.

That's a thought, I stopped being surprised at same parts across different platforms, the column may not fit but parts attached may, sorry I didn't make it to the 'shed' today, rained most of the day so I hid in the 'office'.
Thank you for even considering looking.. I appreciate it. I am still trying to find a junkyard near me.. I haven't needed one since we moved here.. :)

I finally caught up to that 86 column, it appears that it will work but for me I would swap the entire column, let me see if it is possible to remove the tilt collar as an assembly because it will not be easy to remove/replace just the broken piece, also looks like your missing the heavy spring,