Suspension Steering column help - can this be fixed??

if you have it back together and the only problem is the key will not go into the accessory position
You need to first just make sure you are pushing the button?
Then re clock the rack and the little gear in there that is attached to the ignition switch actuator
Thank you for the info, I apologize, I do not know what this means: "Then re clock the rack and the little gear in there that is attached to the ignition switch actuator" I am going to google it :)

• Sponsors (?)

When you take the key switch out look in the hole, you'll see a set of gear teeth, just a few teeth, one part comes out and if you move it one tooth forward the key switch will turn back farther to accessory, it's kinda trial and error,
give me a better shot of that part that you said is too long.
Okgoing to see if I understand what you mean here, I will attach the pic you asked for in a hour or so.... thank you!!

Once you pull out the ignition lock cylinder out
Look down in there with a flashlight
There is the gear and a retainer or c clip retainer
And the teeth on that gear is what we are talking about
It's like a little rack and pinion in there

Reactions: 1 user
Whether yours has the plastic retainer or the c clip
Note the position (take a picture)
The plastic ones just pull out of there with a little pick tool
Here is a pic, not following you completely ... just yet... trying to though
20220706_172425.jpg

That all goes in there only one way
Take a picture like you have done and pull the snap ring then the washer
Then your gear will cone out just enough to move it 1 notch ccw and try it again
Reassemble it before trying it (the washer and snap ring)

Well, the hard part was finding a bolt/stud that fit into the bushing and hefty enough to take the pressure to pull the bushing out, a couple of nuts, some washers and it pulled out.
Now I am going to compare these parts to the 87 up tilt columns.
One thing I didn't try that I wish I had was to try to pull the tilt assembly off the tube with the steering shaft rather than separate the upper and lower collar.
"Well, the hard part was finding a bolt/stud that fit into the bushing and hefty enough to take the pressure to pull the bushing out" 20220706_150910 (2).jpg 20220706_154410 (2).jpg 20220707_103505.jpg
These are what I bought.
PSA though: Hey kids want to use a bolt to take out the pins don't be stupid like JK79Cobra and buy ones that are Phillips head... get ones that you can use a socket on.. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
That was my first thought when I spotted that Phillips head, I don't like to go to the hardware store for something that 'will work' I'd rather dig around in my crap box and try and fail fifteen times with stuff that 'might' work. More funner. :doh: