Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

Just finished reading the thread. I’m still pretty confused but I think I learned a few things. Some quick questions.

I figure the stinger PiMPxs is what I want. My engine is currently under construction but the final specs are as follows:

Stock block .030” over, with SCAT 331 bottom end/ICON pistons.
Trick Flow 11R 190 heads
FTI custom cam
Holley Systemax II intake

What I don’t know is the fueling system. I’m assuming 30lb injectors and 240l/hr pump? I’m also planning to run contour fans and have air conditioning. The car is a manual and the end goal is a T-56, but I may run the T-5 until it fails or the budget recovers.

The car will be N/A for the foreseeable future, and is strictly for spirited weekend twistie driving.

During disassembly, the injector harness was damaged, most of the plastic tabs on the connectors broke so I want to replace that harness and it looks like Stinger offers a replacement engine harness that I’d be interested in adding.

Can the PiMP xs be set up for a safe initial startup once the new engine is in along with the replacement harness? No MAF needed for this?

Sorry for any dumb questions but I’m at this stage in the planning and I want to learn as much as I can, and I appreciate any help along the way.

@a91what I started watching your vids and plan to study but I’d definitely be looking to hire you for some remote tuning when the time comes.
The pimpxs is by far the best bang for the buck. They will supply you with a base tune to get you up and running for the initial start. Make sure you follow the directions in the startup guide to the t... doing so will make your sure your installation goes smoothly.

The MS is capable of doing either MAF or SD or even BOTH.. lol its all in how you set it up. What you want to run is completely up to you. I have my car running on both SD and MAF.

the injector and fuel pump you have chosen will do excellent, you dont have to worry about using too large of an injector. The pimpxs can handle whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks Steve. I still have some work to do before I’m ready but I’m getting my plan together.
no problem, feel free to bounce ideas off of me before you make any purchases, it will make life easier.

Forgot to mention you will also need a WB O2 for tuning. I suggest the spartan2 from 14point7.com, These are by far the best value in the WB market and just flat work well. these are the most stable I have used and recommend them as such.

Reactions: 1 users
@darkfader id buy their harness. your probably spot on with your fuel system. maybe a 255 wally pump.

withing 30 mins on the phone @a91what had my car calmly idling in my garage after i plugged my MS ECU in. make sure you buy good name brand injectors so he can look up the info on them. FMS would probably be fine and you can find them pretty reasonable.

Reactions: 1 users
Seeing if you can give me some pointers on my tune.

I've got it to start. Its unresponsive with throttle but slow throttle will raise rpms...but fire missing. Timing should be good because when I reinstall my old ECU, the idle is fine. Please help

Thank you

Attachments

• 2019-07-03_21.59.23.msq
    287.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 2019-07-03_20.17.32.msl
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Seeing if you can give me some pointers on my tune.

I've got it to start. Its unresponsive with throttle but slow throttle will raise rpms...but fire missing. Timing should be good because when I reinstall my old ECU, the idle is fine. Please help

Thank you
Looking at the datalog, do you have the MAP sensor hooked up? if you do did you follow the steps in the startup guide and calibrate all the sensors?

ah NM you are running in MAF mode, that does not explain as to why the map signal is stuck at 68kpa even when the engine dies. that needs to be addressed, make sure you do not have a check valve in the signal line going to the map sensor on the evo

also what O2 sensor are you running? did you set it up in the tools menu?

once we have these things figured out then we can start to move forward.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for your response.

Yes - I am running MAF as well as using the built MAP on the MS3Pro Evo. I read somewhere that you can use MAF/MAP in conjunction. Anyways, I didn't attach a hose to it. I will now. It is now connected downstream from the throttle body. Located at the vacuum tree. no check valve.

O2 sensor I am using is the LC2, which is set at Tools > Calibrated AFR Table

I started her up again and got you another datalog.

Issues: Rough idle, seems like not all are firing. I smell fuel. My pass side headers show some fuel leakage. This may have been previous start ups.

Thanks for your time

Attachments

• 2019-07-04_16.16.29.msl
    346.7 KB · Views: 111
Thanks Steve for your response.

Yes - I am running MAF as well as using the built MAP on the MS3Pro Evo. I read somewhere that you can use MAF/MAP in conjunction. Anyways, I didn't attach a hose to it. I will now. It is now connected downstream from the throttle body. Located at the vacuum tree. no check valve.

O2 sensor I am using is the LC2, which is set at Tools > Calibrated AFR Table

I started her up again and got you another datalog.

Issues: Rough idle, seems like not all are firing. I smell fuel. My pass side headers show some fuel leakage. This may have been previous start ups.

Thanks for your time
Can you give me a rundown of how you have it wired? I just want to be sure your setup correctly.

Can you give me a rundown of how you have it wired? I just want to be sure your setup correctly.

Sure.

678A8107-040C-498E-ACCC-665345A1B7EB.jpeg

Attachments

• CA9522A1-BE5F-4B99-8991-7F99A2F9A3AE.png
    CA9522A1-BE5F-4B99-8991-7F99A2F9A3AE.png
    514.1 KB · Views: 107
It looks like I have some work to do. The fuel leak from the exhaust is persistence. Unless this has something to do with base tune?? I think I should just replace the injectors. I’ve been meaning to replace to 19lbs to 24lbs fuel injectors. Let me know if you see anything in the base tuning that might cause this. Otherwise, I will create a new post for the build and tag you when I am back tuning again. Thanks for your time.

It looks like I have some work to do. The fuel leak from the exhaust is persistence. Unless this has something to do with base tune?? I think I should just replace the injectors. I’ve been meaning to replace to 19lbs to 24lbs fuel injectors. Let me know if you see anything in the base tuning that might cause this. Otherwise, I will create a new post for the build and tag you when I am back tuning again. Thanks for your time.
I have been busy. Let me look over the wiring and tune. I'll get back with you. You should make a thread for your build and tag me anyway. That way it's easy to keep all the info in one place

Steve do you have a thread on setting up acceleration enrichment with either mspnp2 or stinger pimp?
Not at the moment no, it is fairly simple to do however. You want to use time based enrichment for a simple tune, this will use TPSdot vs PW adder
once the base fuel table is tuned you want to use the histogram view [ the line graph in the AE page ] and watch the TPSdot as you tip the throttle in. The idea is to get the AFR to dip below target for a moment then level out, you want more fuel than you think. I look for a AFR about 1 point richer than target with throttle modulation, you can just about tune the time based AE in the driveway.

Some things to note, you want the end PW to be 0.... then the main enrichment try .2 and taper try .3

TPSdot is rate of throttle change over time = how fast you hit the gas

Good afternoon. I was wondering if Steve is still available for tuning assistance. If so, I would like to get some help. I can post my car's specs and a copy of my tune and a log.
I must say that this thread has been extremely informative so far. I just seem to have hit a sticking point.
Thanks all, and best regards.

Good afternoon. I was wondering if Steve is still available for tuning assistance. If so, I would like to get some help. I can post my car's specs and a copy of my tune and a log.
I must say that this thread has been extremely informative so far. I just seem to have hit a sticking point.
Thanks all, and best regards.
He’ll chime in. Go ahead and post up log and tune with a description. He’ll need it anyway.

I have a bit of a mismatched motor because I bought the heads and then cracked my block after.
Megasquirt PNP 2 for the 1994 1995 mustang GT. Innovate LM1 Wide-band. TFS 170's on a 363 with a TFS stage 2 cam. 80lb Siemens Deka injectors 70mm throttle body, TKO500.

Last edited:
A91what will reply here. You can also click on his name " a91what " at the top of one of his posts and click start a conversation. He is a really busy guy but dedicated to what he does.