Stock Shortblock, 350-375 Hp With Hci?

I accidentally spotted this and thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. I wouldn't worry too much about tuning your own car NA. I learned on my own using an EEC-Tuner on a '95 model. I had a Kenne Bell supercharger, Edelbrock Performer heads, 36# injectors and an aftermarket MAF. I didn't blow anything up and didn't need to spend much time on the dyno. Most of my tuning was for driveability in closed-loop. I had it running extremely smooth with perfect startup in all weather. Much better than when the car was 100% stock. It isn't rocket science. Everyone has already done the hard work for us. You just need to know the value of air coming from the MAF you choose. You already know your timing targets and A/F targets based on what people have already figured out. Get it as close as you can by studying what the computer is telling you in closed loop. You then start with very safe timing for WOT blasts until you know your A/F is in line. Then bump the timing up where you feel comfortable. Check the plugs and make sure everything is fine. Now take it to the dyno and make your minor timing and A/F tweaks. WOT tuning is simple. It is the driveablity part that takes time, and you don't need a dyno for that. A non-radical NA setup should not take long at all to dial in. When you start looking for advice on the actual tuning part of it, make sure you listen to the people who have actually done it. I am impressed that you already know about tip-in timing. That makes a HUGE difference in driveability getting rid of that crap. It has been a long time since I have done it, but thought I would just tell you that you have nothing to be worried about and the stock computer has the ability to do it. I ended up selling my KB and ran NA for some months before selling the car and it was still a blast, thanks to a good tune. Don't fudge it. You are correct in your thinking that you will want to be able to tune it. You can do it, if you want to.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah, streetable 500 with boost is easy. Streetable 350+ is more challenging with a 302.
Easy, sort of.
At 500rwhp, the new problem isn't streetable, it's reliability and catastrophic failure.

I would also suggest someone make a sticky about Rear Wheel HP vs Flywheel.
Me personally I don't believe car guys ever talk flywheel, it's not really measurable in 99% of the cases, so I just don't see the point.

I missed adding an "n/a" in there: streetability is more difficult in a 350+ n/a 302 than a 500 rwhp boosted 302.

Regarding reliability of stock blocks, I concur. To anyone not already familiar, it can't be quantified with certainty. If I was determined to use a stock block:
- more power than 500 rwhp is highly risky. Less than that is acceptable, but still may fail.
- More rpm than 6500 RPM = more risk
- 500rwhp can be had with a H/I 302 and a fair amount of boost.
- So, if you go with forced induction, don't spend anything on stroker kits, as the block is the limit and increased stroke is actually counter-productive to block integrity.
- Less power/less rpm = less risk

The good news is you can replace many used stock shortblocks for the price of 1 aftermarket build. So, south of that 500-limit, that would be my approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users