suspension mod next for me?

jimdrechsler

Jun 29, 2006
OK folks,
This place is extremely helpful for a guy like myself who doesnt know much about these stangs. I take your info and usually do what the majority say to do. I just bought the king cobra (VALEO) clutch that came int the mail today. I was thinking about suspension for my car as I ONLY have subframe connectors welded in now. I remember my mechanic replacing the bushings in the rear I believe as well. a few simple questions--
1) What would be my next cheap route to go for suspension? (part and ballpark price)
2) What gains would I see with that modification? Make it quicker off line?

The car is mostly street/daily in summer driven, but driven hard. May see track 2 times/year. Drive very hard if I go. MONEY IS A FACTOR, so I would probably only do one thing now and it would have to be cheap (200 or less, 100 or less would be better).

Thanks for any/all replies! :D

• Sponsors (?)

new bushings in the stock rear control arms?

if so that was a waste of money.
if you dont wave aftermarket control arms i would sug. in buying a set. depends on how much u want to spend. i believe you can get a set of mac upper and lowers for under $200.
another mod is drag springs---$250
disconnect front sway bar--free ( and what a ride )
adj pinion snubber
gears?

just some ideas, i dont know what u have done already

ill have to find out what bushings were replaced for sure, i dont remember. i have 3.55's in there now (wish they were 3.73's). so the upper and lower control arms sounds like it should be next? is this a noticeable mod when racing and driving around town? if i disconnect sway bar, is it still driveable and safe? what does this help with? i know, so many ?'s :p

thanks,

jim

Get some new lower control arms. I recommend a set of Maximum Motorsports ones with eurethane bushings in both ends of the arms. They should help out your straight line traction lots and also make the car handle a bit better. Their control arms come with 3 piece eurethane bushings as well, which helps reduce bind.

Then if you want to increase the handling of your car dramaticly (as well as the predictability of it during oversteer situations) get yourself a panhard bar.

i have just MM lower control arms and the rear end feels a little stiffer, in a good way. the MM control arms are a little expensive but money well spent. noticable difference on launhes, it bites better.

if you disconnect the sway bar, the front will raise higher for better weight transfer. on other hand u wont corner as well, it will feel like your gonna tip over in tour car. i took mine off to see what its like. i liked how the car raised faster but i put it back on 1 month later cause i couldnt corner very fast at all.

thanks for replies. i looked at the MM arms and they are pretty expensive (over 200). ive seen some of the lower control arms for 80 bux or so. would these be a complete waste of money? dont think they were polyeurathane though. i learned that the bushings replaced last year were in the front end i guess, nothing in the rear.

thanks,
jim

thanks for replies. i looked at the MM arms and they are pretty expensive (over 200). ive seen some of the lower control arms for 80 bux or so. would these be a complete waste of money? dont think they were polyeurathane though. i learned that the bushings replaced last year were in the front end i guess, nothing in the rear.

thanks,
jim
do not buy cheap lower controll arms, you'll end up replacing them later on down the line, save up and buy some mm, steeda or griggs arms and be done with it