Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

i ordered a plasma-moly top (very hard to file the gap btw) with a ductile iron second. ask the machine shop what they did for a finish hone. Do the lightning pistons have much of a dish to them?

• Sponsors (?)

Got the crank back yesterday as noted, the mains look much better with a polish, although not perfect. But hey, for a $40 job, what would you expect?

5jHFVC.jpg

hfjZtM.jpg

I would also like to point out that the machine shop delivered on time! :eek::eek::eek:

My tolerances stayed in check as well.

cqPRwl.jpg

ta2fj2.jpg

6J1aZQ.jpg

And that's what brought us to the piston ring issue. Probably as far as I'll get with the motor this week. MS150 ride that I've been training for is this weekend so I'll be messing with that for the next few days.

Reactions: 1 user
I've soaked them and then boiled Pistons in a pot on the stove to get the carbon and stuff off

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate
This coming from a guy that clearly does NOT have a wife to come in watching you boiling pistons in one of her pots on her stove, in her kitchen,........yeah, this is a single man talking.

Reactions: 5 users
This coming from a guy that clearly does NOT have a wife to come in watching you boiling pistons in one of her pots on her stove, in her kitchen,........yeah, this is a single man talking.
7f94ac8802f21124d6c423c03b3f4640.jpg
we used my buddies Stove. Good times ! Lmao

Those rods and Pistons were from a long rod 306 I had years ago . They are actually still sitting Ina box all cleaned .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

916L6s.jpg

This is what happens when you're trying to do something that requires a fair amount of concentration, but your wife come into the garage to nag about something... It was a mad scramble to dig through the trash and fish out all the old upper rings. The best one I could find had an .030" gap, so I went with it. The rest of the short block went together without issue. All the clearances were good.

Next up is sticking the heads on, measuring pushrod length, then PTV and piston notching.

lrV1sp.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
916L6s.jpg

This is what happens when you're trying to do something that requires a fair amount of concentration, but your wife come into the garage to nag about something... It was a mad scramble to dig through the trash and fish out all the old upper rings. The best one I could find had an .030" gap, so I went with it. The rest of the short block went together without issue. All the clearances were good.

Next up is sticking the heads on, measuring pushrod length, then PTV and piston notching.

lrV1sp.jpg

If you need to notch/flycut those pistonies, holla. I've got a Linde tool for 2.02 valves you can borrow....if you wanna go that route.

If you need to notch/flycut those pistonies, holla. I've got a Linde tool for 2.02 valves you can borrow....if you wanna go that route.

Thanks! I will more than likely take you up on that.

I hope that you plan to have the engine balanced AFTER you flycut the pistons...

916L6s.jpg

lrV1sp.jpg

Man, if I had $1 for every time that happened to me when the ex nagged me..... I'd had enough money to divorce her sooner :doh:

I hope that you plan to have the engine balanced AFTER you flycut the pistons...

Believe it or not, it's a very precise process. You remove the exact amount of material from every piston, I'd be amazed if it changed by a fraction of a gram on the balance. I did my pistons with them in the block and it revs quickly and smoothly to 6500 where it hits the rev limiter.

I understand the logic and need to do so if this were a high $$$ race engine, but this is a junk-yard slug with a blue plate special overhaul. If it lives more than 6 months before I kill it, then it will be a wild success. There are far too many variables to spend much money on it now. I have a good crank and forged pistons on the shelf once it gives up the ghost. Those will get a full service at the machine shop.

Wait...... why are they on the shelf? Why not just build it once?
For a few reasons, but most notably money right now. When I build this motor into something nice, I want to use all nice parts, not the junkyard superstar that this is meant to be for now.

I'm getting a lot of "you should ______" from people, but nobody is offering to help pay for it, LOL.

For a few reasons, but most notably money right now. When I build this motor into something nice, I want to use all nice parts, not the junkyard superstar that this is meant to be for now.

I'm getting a lot of "you should ______" from people, but nobody is offering to help pay for it, LOL.

You'll get that do it right the first time logic which is good logic just not feasible without a bankroll to support it. I prefer drivable logic, slap it together to let eat so the bugs get out and the bugs don't eat the new on the self stuff because then you be up the creek without any paddles.

If it makes you feel better I built my motor in a sandy backyard......which saved me from having to get my crank polished....funny not funny.

Start a Gofund hoopty5.0 :)