Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Whichever of the two first options you choose is gonna result in some f'd up S550 parts. A bare 351 is gonna weigh what?...150? What kind of he man is gonna be able to set that thing directly in the front seat floor from a dead lift?

• Sponsors (?)

Whichever of the two first options you choose is gonna result in some f'd up S550 parts. A bare 351 is gonna weigh what?...150? What kind of he man is gonna be able to set that thing directly in the front seat floor from a dead lift?
Me, apparently.

BHqXEP.jpg

It's sitting squarely on the floorboard, wrapped in canvas, with a layer of cardboard between it and the seats. Even had room to spare.

And I think the block is around 100 lbs.

Reactions: 1 users
Or roughly 1/6th the weight of the damn E7 heads I had to pull off the car last night. :bang:
You cannot cry about having to lift cast iron out if an engine bay until you have personally done one of the following:

Unbolted, (break loose 9/16 head bolts torqued to 140 ft lbs) and then Lift a 460 head out of a old Lincoln reaching across the miles of engine compartment that is a 1973 MK IV.

Install a cast iron 428CJ intake, carefully hovering it over the heads so as to line up the ports properly.

Once you have done these things, the 58 pounds that a E7 head weighs will seem lighter.

Reactions: 1 user
who'd have thought that working on a car was aerobic activity?

dude....the one we just bought may have me built like Sgt. Rock by the time it's done.
It's entirely possible. I just wish I still had the energy of my 23 year old self and could work in the garage without eating or drinking for 15 straight hours and not having a wife to bitch about car parts.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, a wife that b!tches about car parts???? :scratch:

Actually, mine quit doing that... Now when i buy parts, she buys a new gooney bird purse. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
The block is home and on the stand now. I spent the evening pulling the rigs off the pistons and cleaning them up.

ylPQsM.jpg

I bought standard sized bearings and wanted to see how they measured up. Came out around .0025 We will see where that falls after I get the crank polished up some and see what size I need to exchange them for. Motor had 250,000 miles on it.

5CHg0Y.jpg

The block is home and on the stand now. I spent the evening pulling the rigs off the pistons and cleaning them up.

ylPQsM.jpg
You probably already know this, but I'll give a quick warning/heads up of something I learned the hard way:

Do NOT let pistons soak in degreaser too long. I once had a set I was cleaning up, and this was over a labor day weekend. Went to a BBQ and left a couple soaking in a bucket, with every intention of finishing up when I got back. Ended up not getting to it till the next morning, and that degreaser had eaten the pistons, and siezed the rings/pins onto the pistons.

You probably already know this, but I'll give a quick warning/heads up of something I learned the hard way:

Do NOT let pistons soak in degreaser too long. I once had a set I was cleaning up, and this was over a labor day weekend. Went to a BBQ and left a couple soaking in a bucket, with every intention of finishing up when I got back. Ended up not getting to it till the next morning, and that degreaser had eaten the pistons, and siezed the rings/pins onto the pistons.
No sh*t? Wow. Fortunately, I didn't do that even though I thought about it. WHEW!

Degreaser?? Like castrol superclean, or varsol? What kind of degreaser did that?

LOL of course that's what I used. I did dip it in a bucket of water and then blew it dry with compressed air, so should be good to go.

Well, it's fine to clean with. That's what it's for. It is a mild diluted caustic solution... But if you let it soak, it'll start eating it eventually.

Edit: when you use superclean, rinse it off with water.. Water is the only thing that cuts caustic. Then if the part is iron, oil it to prevent rust.

Reactions: 1 user