Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

image.jpeg
Thanks guys. Inching closer! Bumper and fender back on. Had to cut the front bumper up some.

image.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Customer Service Update:

- Taylor wires are running me a one-off coil wire, despite their policy of sending customers to whoever the wires were bought from with issues. Win!

- Ford Performance parts won't sell me a dipstick for my swap pan, but they did tell me that the fitting I need is a 3/8" flare to plug the hole. Win!

Also, my Y pipe will be here tomorrow so I can finish the exhaust. (WIN for my neighbors)

Reactions: 5 users
He didn't just build the brain of the beast, he completely fabbed the whole turbo kit from scratch. Built his own engine, and turned all of his own wrenches. Not to mention the paint and body on the engine bay. VERY impressive.:nice:
But did he do the machine work on the block himself? No? Ok, he didn't build it. :nono:

(sarcasm off) Good job Collin, sounds awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
Still working on the car, nothing exciting unfortunately.

I did decide to go auto, so the 3550 is for sale.

Contributing factors:
- My flywheel is cast and won't work with a HD clutch
- I don't have a clutch yet
- the 3550 could use a 2nd gear syncro
- the 3550 won't handle big power or sticky tires
- turbo cars run better with autos because shifting kills boost
- On the lookout for a C4 or th400. Will be switching to a 3.27 gear or something similar.

- still not a race car.

Reactions: 3 users

Contributing factors:
- On the lookout for a C4 or th400. Will be switching to a 3.27 gear or something similar.

- still not a race car.

Hmm,....here let me give you my card:
logo.png

I try to tell all of you aspiring boost addicts that boost is way more fun than shifting gears. I'm glad to see that somebody gets it.

So,...... Automatic huh? See below for the ultimate "race car test" definer when choosing an automatic trans:

1. Powerglide: Don't even try to deny it.
  2. C-4: You may as well own up to it, sooner or later you're gonna hate driving it on the street with this transmission being only 3 gears.
  3. C-6: See above, only you want to lug 50-60 lbs. extra weight, and have to spin massive reciprocating friction as well.
If you put in ANY of the above: RACECAR.

Reactions: 1 users

Contributing factors:

- still not a race car.

Freddy Brown or Silverfox AOD FTW

Reactions: 3 users

Contributing factors:

- still not a race car.

Intersting that you are doing this. I am rebuilding my T5, but over the weekend starting considering doing a 4r70w swap instead. Have you considered that tranny? I have been thinking about posting a thread and tagging @madmike1157 in it, as I think he built one for the gillamonster.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
Intersting that you are doing this. I am rebuilding my T5, but over the weekend starting considering doing a 4r70w swap instead. Have you considered that tranny? I have been thinking about posting a thread and tagging @madmike1157 in it, as I think he built one for the gillamonster.

Joe
I am in fact using one. With a full manual transgo conversion that negates having to use a computer to shift the trans. It's as heavy as a C6 though, and with similar internal rotational mass, but it's a tough transmission that has the all important 4th gear.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't ruled out a 4r70w either. Definitely a contender but I'm worried about cost. Mike, how much do you have tied up in yours? I also have access to an AOD

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users