Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Don't want to highjack, but I think these questions will help Collin, too. I want to go full manual vb if I do it. Is your OD controlled through the shifter, or is it on a switch? I also wondered about costs, and what hp/tq rating will it handle at your mods? And list of mods please. :)

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Don't want to highjack, but I think these questions will help Collin, too. I want to go full manual vb if I do it. Is your OD controlled through the shifter, or is it on a switch? I also wondered about costs, and what hp/tq rating will it handle at your mods? And list of mods please. :)

Joe

Electronic over drive . Freddy brown unit uses the TRANS brake button as the OD button in 3rd gear which is pretty trick . His units are pricey and can be built to hold 1000hp . If I had to buy one it would prob be from him or Lentech.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Reactions: 4 users
Z0op7P.jpg

5OJMpe.jpg

lcChgl.jpg

Finished up the downpipe to where it ties into the Y pipe last night. I'm actually very happy with how it turned out fitment wise. I am starting to worry a little about the downpipe where it goes under the K member as there is a V band there now too. Should be OK but we will see.

I also ran the heater lines. That was a chore and I wasted $30 in brass fitting before I realized I could cut the end off a heater tube, raise it a little and use it just fine. Heater lines tuck in perfectly now.

Tonight, I need to tighten up all the loose hardware and double check everything, fill it with coolant, and fire it up. It should be able to run for as long as I want it to at this point, aka be ready to drive IF I had a drive line.

I sold the 3550 for $1k last night ( :eek::eek::eek:) and got the wife buttered up enough to explain that I need to spend $2500+ on a transmission and other pieces and she agreed. Especially since I told her it was going to be an auto and she could drive it. The catch is I have to wait until January which we all know isnt going to happen, so I have a plan in place. I'll update more once I know the rest of the details.

Last edited:

Hmmm,.....Between you and Allen this is like an ink blot test.

***What doe the above picture remind you of..

Uhhhhh this?

Cobra-Snake.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm,.....Between you and Allen this is like an ink blot test.

***What doe the above picture remind you of..

Uhhhhh this?

Cobra-Snake.JPG
Hey man, if it works, it works. What's really cool is if there wasn't a cross member there, you could drop the transmission with the exhaust in place. Once the transmission gets pulled this week, the entire hot side is going off for ceramic coating.

Reactions: 1 users
pay me my .2 cents back. how can you go from never even opening up a chicken peen C4 to opening the meneragie that is a 4r70w?

* precursory advanced warning*

you'll be sorry.
There's a great tear down/build up video series on Youtube that goes into excruciating detail. Guess what I watched all morning? It was waaaaaay less complicated that I expected.

Reactions: 2 users
Hadn't made it to that video yet.

*edit - How did you compress your clutch drums?
Getting them apart isn't so bad as long as you understand that they are under pressure. As long as you can control the potential spring explosion w/ a clamp of some kind (I made me one out of welded bar stock and a piece of all thread) then getting that snap ring that holds all that stuff together out of the groove is no big deal.

But I wasn't about to try and reassemble the thing with new lip seals and clutches and use that "contraption" to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Just go into a trans shop prepared to pay the guy 20 bucks for 10 minutes (if that) work. It was piece of mind for me, because after they reassemble the drum, they typically check it with pressurized air. Most of them don't use feeler gauges to check clutch drum clearance, they just go by feel.

There really isn't anything hard about building the transmission after that as long as you have a big enough work area to keep the things that come out of the transmission in the order that they came out, so that you can reverse it when it comes time to put it all back together again.