Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

Uhm.....

About the MSD box. I mentioned I have no shame a while back but I'm finding that even has its limits. I forgot to hook up a wire on the MSD box. It was an important one.

I need someone to protect my car from me.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's my question. If MSD is so bad now, what's the best ignition to use? MSD bought Mallory and I've never really trust Accel....soooo what is the best quality ignition to use now? I'm just asking. I'm still gonna use MSD for now tho.

Is this kinda like running out of gas?.....
Mike I have to be honest, I needed that comment, like bad.

I was about to flame MSD. On facebook, my guy that does my powder coating asked if I had the box hooked up wrong. I said no. He disagreed. We argued and I went so far as to march my ass out to the garage, tear open the glove box, snap a picture and say, "Un-fcking-believeable."

I was going to not say anything but he said a lot of things... but the gist was "drop a pair and admit you're wrong."

I was fully prepared to be roasted by the interwebz, with you on a white horse leading the calvary next to Scott (the guy I argued with).

Your comment reminded me that we're just human and making something from nothing is bound to have snags. I won't beat myself any more. Thank you.

I'm going to bed. What a f'n roller coaster.

Reactions: 6 users
Here's my question. If MSD is so bad now, what's the best ignition to use? MSD bought Mallory and I've never really trust Accel....soooo what is the best quality ignition to use now? I'm just asking. I'm still gonna use MSD for now tho.
Please re-read my comments on this page. I was wrong. MSD isn't the root of the problem, I am.

Reactions: 1 user
Please re-read my comments on this page. I was wrong. MSD isn't the root of the problem, I am.

He said root.. huh huh huh huh
IMG_0609.GIF

Reactions: 1 users

View: https://youtu.be/Hv6cBiUk63M

View: https://youtu.be/Mf3UtoExFIA

Man this thing is fun!

I think I figured out how I made my mistake. The MSD box came with a "harness". But it was not THE harness. See exhibit A:

xYZAXe.jpg

This is a fox TFI harness that MSD sells. It's plug and play. It's also not what I have. I assumed this was what I had and plugged in the plugs, not realizing I had to manually splice in the white wire on it's own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm not sure how it even ran. LoL! Can't remember what the white wire does. The Ford electronics grounds the negative side of the coil. But MSD(If I remember correctly), actually triggers the positive side of the coil. Props to you for being determined enough to figure it out and stay patient.

Ok then,...first I just gotta say.I'm so freakin glad you figured it out. I know this has been a serious thorn in your side.
The power pulls sound heathen,...it just sounds like it's gonna be a whole different ball game when you get it on a Dyno.
You kinda have to agree w/ Steve,... there is gonna be a lot more power when you bring that car to the party the next time it is hooked up,..just couldn't find anything out there to say how much power a degree of timing is actually worth.

Now the the niceties are behind me,....

What wire wasn't hooked up? I'm pretty familiar w/ MSD wiring, and didn't know that there was any wire on the box that remained that didn't have a direct hook up. So just guessing,...had to be a wire dedicated to timing retard that needed to be grounded so that the box wouldn't pull timing?

Ok then,...first I just gotta say.I'm so freakin glad you figured it out. I know this has been a serious thorn in your side.
The power pulls sound heathen,...it just sounds like it's gonna be a whole different ball game when you get it on a Dyno.
You kinda have to agree w/ Steve,... there is gonna be a lot more power when you bring that car to the party the next time it is hooked up,..just couldn't find anything out there to say how much power a degree of timing is actually worth.

Now the the niceties are behind me,....

What wire wasn't hooked up? I'm pretty familiar w/ MSD wiring, and didn't know that there was any wire on the box that remained that didn't have a direct hook up. So just guessing,...had to be a wire dedicated to timing retard that needed to be grounded so that the box wouldn't pull timing?

There's a white wire coming out of the MSD box that hooks up to the SPOUT (SPark OUT). ie - ignition advance from the computer. I have no idea why, as the TFI module still controls the firing of the coil, but whatever.