The (near) Future is Not Electric

Interesting conversation, to a point.
Electricity is renewable? Then why do places like California and China (there are others I'm sure) have 'blackouts'? Some places are controlling the amount of electricity you can use. They can't keep up with demand.
The fuel vrs electric comparison can be skewed in either direction.
I do know to call an EV 'green energy ' is wrong, well unless you call the price of one 'green' because it costs (based on what I've read) more. Zero emissions is also skewed.
Technology has an unintentional result, it's making people lazy and stupid, take the 'infotainment screen' in newer cars, just the screen in our 18 Kia is annoying, it's just bright enough to distract when driving at night, now the screens are larger and do more stuff,
EV or not, I drive my crap, I don't need a back up camera, lane sensors or a big screen to tell me my oil needs changing, but alas, some do, because they are too stupid to realize they should not be operating a vehicle while looking at their phone or eating a spaghetti taco. We are moving towards driverless vehicles just because of that. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Interesting conversation, to a point.
Electricity is renewable? Then why do places like California and China (there are others I'm sure) have 'blackouts'? Some places are controlling the amount of electricity you can use. They can't keep up with demand.
The fuel vrs electric comparison can be skewed in either direction.
I do know to call an EV 'green energy ' is wrong, well unless you call the price of one 'green' because it costs (based on what I've read) more. Zero emissions is also skewed.
Technology has an unintentional result, it's making people lazy and stupid, take the 'infotainment screen' in newer cars, just the screen in our 18 Kia is annoying, it's just bright enough to distract when driving at night, now the screens are larger and do more stuff,
EV or not, I drive my crap, I don't need a back up camera, lane sensors or a big screen to tell me my oil needs changing, but alas, some do, because they are too stupid to realize they should not be operating a vehicle while looking at their phone or eating a spaghetti taco. We are moving towards driverless vehicles just because of that. JMO
General,

Where might I purchase one of these spaghetti tacos you speak of? Mmmm, spaghetti tacos.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Another issue I don't like on battery is how they become carried dead weight minute by minute. Liquid fuel doesn't do this. Develop liquid fuel technology for true efficiency! I also dislike how for duration of foreseen future EVs lock us into old conventions with the 'skateboard' chassis. We should be moving towards more aerodynamic and efficient cars. Pet peeve recently has been the dumb ultra-boxy Retro concepts released by a few of the marques lately.

I thought we were using technology to maximise efficiency? Not push cool throw-back looking bricks through the air.

I think this kind of thing is the future of fun and sustainable commuter motoring.

Just imagine the chassis possibilities without stuffing in batteries and other bulky EV elements.

Most of the Japanese cars push 100bhp+ out of 3 cylinders now? Let's get that figure down to 2cyl and then stuff them in wacky new form generations of lightweight chassis fueled by synthetic petroleum. EVs are going to lock us into antique concepts (and bulk) for the next hundred years with the dreaded 'skateboard' :eek::oops:

Attachments

• solar-powered-aptera-alpha-goes-testing-at-the-drag-strip-159120-7.jpeg
    solar-powered-aptera-alpha-goes-testing-at-the-drag-strip-159120-7.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 46
The big three started pushing suvs and telling us (Mericans) that's what we wanted, nobody asked me!! I don't mind suvs, but I hate it when I park in a lot between two big honk'n vehicles that don't even fit in the parking spot, can't see around them to back out. OH WAIT, I forgot about the 'backup camera'. :doh:

It would seem to me that hybrids are an ideal next step. You reduce oil consumption and buy time for technology to point the way.

It's far better than forcing something to fit.
So what are the power plants reliably running on if not other fossil fuels or atomic reactions? We need to think through the whole supply chain before deciding to make a huge switch. So far, I only see this changing where the fuel is burned.
If every city waste water system, and pig and cow lot/dairy operation had a methane digester and a generator to burn off the methane, that would be renewable and would reduce the strain on the grid.

So what are the power plants reliably running on if not other fossil fuels or atomic reactions? We need to think through the whole supply chain before deciding to make a huge switch. So far, I only see this changing where the fuel is burned.
If every city waste water system, and pig and cow lot/dairy operation had a methane digester and a generator to burn off the methane, that would be renewable and would reduce the strain on the grid.
That's just it, this needs an evolution, not a revolution.

• Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Another issue I don't like on battery is how they become carried dead weight minute by minute. Liquid fuel doesn't do this. Develop liquid fuel technology for true efficiency! I also dislike how for duration of foreseen future EVs lock us into old conventions with the 'skateboard' chassis. We should be moving towards more aerodynamic and efficient cars. Pet peeve recently has been the dumb ultra-boxy Retro concepts released by a few of the marques lately.

I thought we were using technology to maximise efficiency? Not push cool throw-back looking bricks through the air.

I think this kind of thing is the future of fun and sustainable commuter motoring.

Just imagine the chassis possibilities without stuffing in batteries and other bulky EV elements.

Most of the Japanese cars push 100bhp+ out of 3 cylinders now? Let's get that figure down to 2cyl and then stuff them in wacky new form generations of lightweight chassis fueled by synthetic petroleum. EVs are going to lock us into antique concepts (and bulk) for the next hundred years with the dreaded 'skateboard' :eek::oops:
Most of the new EV's by the established companies are extremely aerodynamic in order to improve their range efficiency. IIRC the new Mercedes EQS has the lowest drag coefficient of any production car coming in at .20. The Tesla Model 3 also comes in at .23. I don't think that they are the best looking vehicles ever but I cannot argue with the aerodynamic results. I imagine most of this comes from being able to smooth out the front end due to not needing a grille for cooling purposes

I would be willing to bet a dollar right now, that we can fully synthesize fossil fuels. I mean, after all, it's only the result of a chemical reaction. If somebody hasn't already figured it out then it's probably not far off.

I think back to all of the dry and liquid fuel we've developed over the years. We've had lots of practice. In today's stage of the game, I think it's more attainable, requires fewer resources, and packs more BTU for a longer period, with less space and weight compensation. From cradle to grave, this solution would have less impact on the planet overall.

That is until the Zentradi invade and we discover the secrets of Protoculture. :shrug:
(Admin cookie for whoever gets that reference first)

Reactions: 1 user
Lets keep this light for a friday afternoon.

Yeah it's expensive as hell, but so were Plasma TV's when they first came out. But how soon befoe options like this become more readily available. Who knows, we might see the day when Maximum Motorsports offers a K-member for an EV crate motor? :oops:

Only thing that i feel is a hurdle is packaging the batteries. With these sorts of EV conversions, i imagine range is not as critical. If someone develops a "drop-in" battery pack it might make such conversions more feasible. Of course, costs would need to drop as well. I don't see your average shade-tree dropping $60K+ to do one of these conversions

Last edited:
Most of the new EV's by the established companies are extremely aerodynamic in order to improve their range efficiency. IIRC the new Mercedes EQS has the lowest drag coefficient of any production car coming in at .20. The Tesla Model 3 also comes in at .23. I don't think that they are the best looking vehicles ever but I cannot argue with the aerodynamic results. I imagine most of this comes from being able to smooth out the front end due to not needing a grille for cooling purposes

Oh absolutely! I've nothing all that against conventional design trends and everything being kind of an amorphous blob or bulge or other for drag coef along with pedestrian safety. I just think the battery packs are going to lock us into committing to traditional chassis design just as materials engineering hits its stride for truly zany cars! You'll see the Aptera I brought up in my post mentioned in that article too with a drag coef of just .13

Funnily enough design may not change entirely all that much as we could imagine, as that frontal impact zone turns out is useful to have on a car whether you needed the space for a motor or not. That along with the 'skateboard' more or less means cars being set in stone for another hundred years.

I believe batteries will restrict us in their bulk of packaging to get those figures even lower. A new generation of 2Cyl drive trains could be a more compact packaging, along with allowing design of fuel cells in unconventional chassis points. I believe ICE gives us greatest freedom of design fundamentally. :cheers:

Last edited: