Things To Replace When Rebuilding My 5.0 Ho?

Michael West

Jun 11, 2013
I've made the decision to start tearing my engine apart for a rebuild (it has a blown head gasket) I plan to do a pretty mild build and I'd like it to pass ca emissions. I will be using this rebuild kit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-mhp173-300/overview/year/1989/make/ford/model/mustang
I'm gonna have the block bored 30 over, forged internals, gt40p heads, explorer intake, shorty headers, 65mm throttle body, and a b303 cam. I plan on throwing a turbo on it later on, so I want it to be able to handle the boost.

Other than what the rebuild kit provides, and the parts I listed that I'm swapping out, what all should I replace while I have my engine torn down? It has about 120k miles.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'll look into some different cams. I like a lumpy idle and I need it to pass emissions. Could you recommend one with good performance gain as well as a lumpy idle that'll meet emissions? I have the ugpraded alterator already.

So other than that, just a water pump? and what about a timing chain set?

Look at the different sensors, because they all provide the feedback to the computer to let your engine run efficiently. A lot of time they are overlooked and their functionality is reduced, therefor causing poor performance.

Coolant temp sensor - (NOT the temp sender!)
Intake air temp sensor
02 Sensors
thermostat
Fuel filter
Clean the IAC and EGR
Clean the MAF

Just to name a few. Is all the emissions stuff still in place?

Look at the different sensors, because they all provide the feedback to the computer to let your engine run efficiently. A lot of time they are overlooked and their functionality is reduced, therefor causing poor performance.

Coolant temp sensor - (NOT the temp sender!)
Intake air temp sensor
02 Sensors
thermostat
Fuel filter
Clean the IAC and EGR
Clean the MAF

Just to name a few. Is all the emissions stuff still in place?

All emissions stuff is in place. I haven't done much to the motor but delete the a/c, upgrade the alternator, cold air intake, and swap the headers.
I have another question, not sure if you know the answer. I will also be swapping my AOD to a T5 tranny. Will I be able to use my same computer or will I need one out of a original manual car?

Yes change to a new timing chain. Also probably a new harmonic balancer,flywheel,good arp bolts for everything,and I believe the computer is fine(not positive on this). And completely agree with Hoopty on the sensors.

As far as cam shafts go....I highly recommend contacting any of the custom cam wizards like Ed Curtis @ FlowTech inductions,Buddy Rawhls,etc. They can give you exactly what you want. It is more expensive though. Or contact Comp Cams,etc for a recommendation. The ford letter cams are completely outdated and underperform compared to the newer stuff. I also am unsure if the b cam will pass CA emissions.

All emissions stuff is in place. I haven't done much to the motor but delete the a/c, upgrade the alternator, cold air intake, and swap the headers.
I have another question, not sure if you know the answer. I will also be swapping my AOD to a T5 tranny. Will I be able to use my same computer or will I need one out of a original manual car?
'Should' be ok, I've never done that though. Should you need one, I know rock auto has reman units for $90 after core swap. I'd definitely trust that over buying used.

There are other people here who can truthfully answer and I'll defer to them on if you need to swap ECMs...

Pretty much what everyone els said. Good Timing chain set, waterpump, t stat, sensors, balancer, flywheel. I would def go with a better cam though. A custom grind will be your best bet, but there are alot of ots cams that will make more power and run better overall than that letter cam. When I finally do my motor im going to use a trick flow stage one cam just make sure you upgrade the valve springs if your going with a higher lift cam. Im planning on basically doing what you are with the exception of most likely going 331. Ill still be using gt40 heads with future plans for boost. If I happen to sell my 500 whp turbo Honda motor than ill be gettin some afr or trickflow heads and going 347 with a stage 2 trickflow cam. Lots of ifs for my build at this point lol.

Last edited:
I dident see lifters in the pic? If they resurface the heads or the block u might have to check the length of your pushrods? Its been a while since my rebuild so I forget the specs. Are you leaving the heads alone?