Throttle position sensor settings

wingzero_ac19x

Feb 6, 2006
I have an 87 Ford Mustang 2.3 Liter (yes I know that is taken for granted given I am in the 2.3 liter forum) anyways, it is a non turbo car. The question I have is this: I have bought a throttle position sensor for my car because it has a really rough idle, I need to know the voltage settings it needs to be, and which wires to connect the DMM to. I have a Haynes manual, but it wont tell me. I have also been to all the local shops and searched online, no one either knows or wont tell me :bang: . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

• Sponsors (?)

Less than a volt at idle. Less than 5 volts WOT. I think most people set them around .98 volts at idle (off throttle). However I noticed I would have to drill mine out to be able to set it. Did you get one with the notches alreadys notched?

replying to all

Yeah, my TPS has notches in it to allow for adjustment...the part number is E6EF-9B989-AA 6F27C. I purchased it at Advanced Auto. But now on to my next questions. 1. How do you connect the voltmeter to the sensor connector? I ask because when the sensor is plugged in, I dont see a way to access the wires to test it...and second, why do I need to disconnect the IAC like the link sent by Stinger shows? I ask because I have never heard of that needing to be done. Thanks to everyone who has replied thus far...your help is much appreciated, just need a little more info to get the job done, thanks for any further help anyone has.

still more mess

aight..... the only problems I am seeing is 1. my TPS has no space in the back for the probes to fit....should I just run a small peice of wire in the back in till it touches the connector?...and the other: My TPS has a black wire, green, and orange, all with no stripes..... so even with link to site, It does not really tell me which wire I need to connect to.... Which wire on the tps sensor itself (not the connector end since they are in there evenly spaced), is the one I need to connect to? looking at the back of the sensor, left is black, middle is green, right is orange on my sensor.... never thought this job was gonna be this aggrevating. If only Haynes manual listed the settings and everything..... thanks again for all your help.

Yes, wire works fine.

Just try it out...there is only a max of like 9 combinations before you get it right...actually, one if variable (~1-5v) one is constant 5v, and one is ground...pretty easy to hook the meter up and figure out which is which ;)