Time to get Pimpin"

• Sponsors (?)

:ohoh:

What does it mean when this happens?
A few things, the main concern is the MAT or IAT sensor heat soaks with a lack of air transfer around it... that is until the engine is pumping again, this causes the MAT correction [remember SD uses MAT temps in the air density equation] to become lean on HOT start. To properly correct this without altering the running fuel correction [ this means we do NOT want to alter the MAT correction table after we are done tuning as this will require further fuel trim in the main table] we will go in and add fuel in a percentage to offset the sensor soak for the first minute of startup. We will do this in the ASE and ASE taper tables [after start enrichment and taper 'how long the ase stays in effect'] properly set the engine will not experience any lean condition at startup, as a driver you would not even notice it could be an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
A few things, the main concern is the MAT or IAT sensor heat soaks with a lack of air transfer around it... that is until the engine is pumping again, this causes the MAT correction [remember SD uses MAT temps in the air density equation] to become lean on HOT start. To properly correct this without altering the running fuel correction [ this means we do NOT want to alter the MAT correction table after we are done tuning as this will require further fuel trim in the main table] we will go in and add fuel in a percentage to offset the sensor soak for the first minute of startup. We will do this in the ASE and ASE taper tables [after start enrichment and taper 'how long the ase stays in effect'] properly set the engine will not experience any lean condition at startup, as a driver you would not even notice it could be an issue.

I believe that this is an issue with the current chip-tune on my 86 (MAF).

The only way I was able to fight this was to alter the mat temp table. Didn’t take much, just a bit of adjustment

I ended up changing over to a gm intake air temp sensor as well, and moved the sensor away from the #5 runner and into the upper intake plenum.

It gave a little trouble on the heat soak restart, nothing huge, but noticeable. I am about to go do the cold start and data log. I will also data log a heat soak restart later. Gonna go drive my car now :rock:

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
The only way I was able to fight this was to alter the mat temp table. Didn’t take much, just a bit of adjustment

I ended up changing over to a gm intake air temp sensor as well, and moved the sensor away from the #5 runner and into the upper intake plenum.
Altering the mat air density curve is sometimes a necessary evil... different intake, sensor arrangements may even need different curves, especially if the sensor placement was altered.

Let me know if you got my email? I can't find it in my sent file? Cold start actually wasn't bad at all. Hot start, it doesn't like hot start too much. This was cold start.

Attachments

• 2020-01-20_08.52.53.msl
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
ok so EGO correction at idle is causing some oscillation, I am going to slow the correction down first if that does not do it then i am going to shut it off at idle completely for now.

Hot restart looks terrible, I cant figure out if it needs less cranking fuel or more idle valve based on the log file.. so i am going to increase valve duty first and make no fuel adjustment for this first revision.