Timing Question?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
What would timing affect on idling or a way it runs?...The reason I ask this is I think my Dist. moved More advanced...I have old pics of the car when I picked it up and I can see the old paint line made and I can see it is over a little more..will this make it surge?...I got the surging better by raising the idle but now it idles higher and sometimes it has a hanging idle now...im wondering if I should put the timing back to that spot...

• Sponsors (?)

That was one thing I forgot to ask them what they set the timing at when I picked the car up from them....im sure the intial timing wasn't high couldn't be...but say it moved and advanced im sure that would affect a few things now?

Well im going to move it to were I think it was and see how it runs...will I have to re-adjust the TPS and idle again and now im wondering if that's why the surging started in the 1st place the timing moved???

Yeah I know the way I would be moving it would be taking timing out not advancing it...I would be retarding it...im going to mark.it were it is now so I can move it back..i do have a timing light I think im going to check it anyways..to see where it is now im really wondering how its set..i think its advanced right now...