Tire Woes Help!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Nice looking car Mike but if that rear end suspension isn't stiff as a board "they are going to rub".
Here is the way it really looked in the 80's, plenty of room there.
If my car were sitting at the original height, tires size wouldn't be an issue.
The rear end is sitting close to stock height now.
But when I get some time I think I will take an 1" back out, I just took a shot with the 1.5" bracket.
Hey thanks for chiming in always like your interesting insight to things.
carpic1.jpg

Hey, just a side note. Took it out for a spin and you can really feel a difference in the ride, it was nice with these soft squishy tires. These things really hook up, I actually think they are too much tire for my setup, I haven't tried to bring it out of the hole seriously but there is no wheel spin through the gears.

I actually think they are too much tire for my setup, I haven't tried to bring it out of the hole seriously but there is no wheel spin through the gears.

Just remember, a little tire spin is usually what prevents you from exposing another weak link in the drivetrain.

Start hooking too hard, too often and you'll send that T5 south, or one of the not overly atrong 28-spline axles.

Personally, I still like the raked look on a fox. My car sits a little higher in the rear....for carrying the kiddos. ( they've gotten big )lol.

I like that customized spring perch. [emoji106]

Just install a proper spring. Your car but personally that "fix" doesn't look good IMO. Not trying to troll. Just stating my .02. A good spring will fix 99% of your problem. Team Z motorsports,Eibach,even stock GT springs would work. That was a horrible look in the 70's just like bell bottoms. :notnice:

Just remember, a little tire spin is usually what prevents you from exposing another weak link in the drivetrain.

Start hooking too hard, too often and you'll send that T5 south, or one of the not overly atrong 28-spline axles.

That's exactly what I was thinking, don't want to break something. I'm going to put some more air in the tires (only had 8#) and see what they feel like.
I think I need something in the middle, my 245 45 17's are way to hard, breaks the tires loose with any serious throttle in 1st (actually 1st is useless) and in 2nd (ok if you pedal a little) finally will hook up in 3rd.
I think a good street tire 275 60 15 would be a good combo, I can use the taller tire now and with the 411 gears they might help.
I'm not really planning on racing but I would like it to get down the road when needed .

Personally, I still like the raked look on a fox. My car sits a little higher in the rear....for carrying the kiddos. ( they've gotten big )lol.

I like that customized spring perch. [emoji106]

Thanks, if you look under the car you can't even see it unless you know what your looking for

Does the treadware number tell you how soft the tire is?
Yes it does. The treadwaer usually reflects the compound in the tire. Age of a tire plays a part, too. Date codes are really important. The older the tire the harder the compound will become.

Yes it does. The treadwaer usually reflects the compound in the tire. Age of a tire plays a part, too. Date codes are really important. The older the tire the harder the compound will become.
I understand all that, what I meant was treadware rating on the tires that are being compared, like nitto 555, we always talk tire size but never a mention about treadware, my tires have a 300, I've read some daily driver classes require at least a 200.
Just wunder'n way it is never discussed, what would a treadware rating on say drag radials be?

I understand all that, what I meant was treadware rating on the tires that are being compared, like nitto 555, we always talk tire size but never a mention about treadware, my tires have a 300, I've read some daily driver classes require at least a 200.
Just wunder'n way it is never discussed, what would a treadware rating on say drag radials be?
Tread wear on drag radials is usually around 00. The softer the tire the easier it'll hook...to a point. You've got to factor in the compounds oil consistency and how they are affected by temperature.

I had a set of bridgestone potenzas on a car that would clean the asphalt doing a burnout. They hooked well in all conditions but were a hard compound. No black stripes....literally looked like a wide eraser went down the street....smoking and all. They still aren't worn out....just dry rotted as hell. They lasted about 4 years on my daily fox. ( driven hard and unmercifully )

Wish we did talk more about tire compounds and tread wear ratings. [emoji106]

I'm no expert...just worked in the tire industry for years.

Something else that might come into play ,l think my car has a turbo thunderbird rear end which I understand is about 1 3/4"s wider than stock rear. Puts the tires out a little too much for just a fender roll.

Something else that might come into play ,l think my car has a turbo thunderbird rear end which I understand is about 1 3/4"s wider than stock rear. Puts the tires out a little too much for just a fender roll.
If that's the case, then no wheel is gonna fit w/o hanging out. A stock mustang rear will only need 6" back spacing to get a wide wheel (10") under/even with the quarter.

From looking at yours, and judging purely from the pics, I'd bet that those 8.5" wheels are 3.5" BS. Check your backspacing.

Reactions: 1 users
If that's the case, then no wheel is gonna fit w/o hanging out. A stock mustang rear will only need 6" back spacing to get a wide wheel (10") under/even with the quarter.

From looking at yours, and judging purely from the pics, I'd bet that those 8.5" wheels are 3.5" BS. Check your backspacing.

I think you are close with the back spacing at 3.5", I'll have to measure. But with that said it's an 8.5" wheel with an 11.5" wide tire on it, there is just not enough room within the wheel well / fender for that much tire without tubbing. I've been looking at a lot of photos on FB of cars with large tires and they are all lifted in the rear or tubbed out. I will be buying a thinner tire (275 / 265 x 60 or 70 x 15) that should fit better but I'm still wanting to use a taller tire like a 60 or 70 series (411 gears), so a small lift will still be necessary.

I think you are close with the back spacing at 3.5", I'll have to measure. But with that said it's an 8.5" wheel with an 11.5" wide tire on it, there is just not enough room within the wheel well / fender for that much tire without tubbing. I've been looking at a lot of photos on FB of cars with large tires and they are all lifted in the rear or tubbed out. I will be buying a thinner tire (275 / 265 x 60 or 70 x 15) that should fit better but I'm still wanting to use a taller tire like a 60 or 70 series (411 gears), so a small lift will still be necessary.
I've found through the few fox bodies i've dealt with that a 275 is about as big as you can run, even then, if you want it tucked, you'll have to roll the quarters. 285's can fit if you beat in the inner tub.

Reactions: 1 user
I've found through the few fox bodies i've dealt with that a 275 is about as big as you can run, even then, if you want it tucked, you'll have to roll the quarters. 285's can fit if you beat in the inner tub.
thanks Dave, I took off 245 x 45 x 17"s on 9" wide rims and with the car being lowered 2.5" they would rub the bottom of the wheel well on a big dump.