TKO 600 first or TRICK flow top end first?

ShortThrow50

Oct 22, 2006
Pa
what would you do? after doing the rear suspension and diff gears (373's). I have have noticed my crappy stock t5 leaks oil through spedometer cable and the output shaft. Also it seems clunky and vibrates in 5th gear. Would it be wise just to get rid of the t5 and make this car ready to handle some serious hp or say f... it and go right for the engine? This is probably a no brainer. I would like you guys inputs first though. I do love to powershift, its kind hard to not want to after getting 373's

also. doesnt the tko 500 cost about the same? If so, why is there even a tko 500?

• Sponsors (?)

Its up to you but I would prolly get the trick flow kit first, just cuz I would want power. The tko is a good idea though. Although I have read some reviews in which people had problems shifting them up top, near 6.5, 7k rpm. But others countered it saying that they didnt have any problems when they properly broke it in. this descion really comes down to whether you want to do clutch drops with a 5-600 ft lbs tranny and no worries or have 300rwhp on a stock t-5, which should be just fine until you get money for a tko 5 or 600.

Its up to you but I would prolly get the trick flow kit first, just cuz I would want power. The tko is a good idea though. Although I have read some reviews in which people had problems shifting them up top, near 6.5, 7k rpm. But others countered it saying that they didnt have any problems when they properly broke it in. this descion really comes down to whether you want to do clutch drops with a 5-600 ft lbs tranny and no worries or have 300rwhp on a stock t-5, which should be just fine until you get money for a tko 5 or 600.

hmmmm:scratch:

Build the car for the horsepower first; get the TKO if your T5 is about to go. No use having a 300HP motor that can't go anywhere because your trans went out and you have all of your money wrapped up in the heads...

Do the TKO 600 first.

You'll destroy the T5 in short order powershifting it, and the chirp off of the tires in 2'nd & 3'rd gear is hard to resist.

do the TKO 600 now, H/C/I later.

Do the TKO 600 first.

You'll destroy the T5 in short order powershifting it, and the chirp off of the tires in 2'nd & 3'rd gear is hard to resist.

im with them ^^^, i went through 2 t5's in a span of 4 years. first one went when the car was bone stock with just a K&N filter, second was with the mods in my sig minus all the C6 stuff and exhaust. if it was me i'd replace the tranny first then do engine mods and suspension mods after. i'd rather drive the car than have it broke down after doing engine mods:D

After about 1k miles on my H/I/C and a MGW my T5 decided to let go. I probably should have gotten a tranny first but half the fun was breaking things. Not sure what I would do first if I had to do it again.
Kevin

Lol went down the same road, was going to get TFS top end kit, then my T-5 blew up, got a TKO 600, now I got the TFS top end kit in lol. Btw Id rather have the viper T56 if you have the money, TKO 600 is a nice trans, but if I could have done it over again Id rather have the 5th gear I have now, .82 o/d, and a 6th gear which would be the exact same as a T56. Cant beat the price of a TKO though.

TKO600=Bullet proof (almost)

Although I have read some reviews in which people had problems shifting them up top, near 6.5, 7k rpm. But others countered it saying that they didn't have any problems when they properly broke it in.

My TKO600 shifted at 6800rpm with no problems. That's where the DOHC motors make their power, so I was there quite often:D I used GM Syncromesh fluid, it's what Tremec recommends the most for their tranny's. Too bad the frame on my Cobra is jacked up. Now it's a parts car:(

For what's is worth, it sucks to build the car to HANDLE more power first, but it sucks even more to have it sit in your driveway with a busted tranny or melted brakes because you opted to do the 1000rwhp upgrade first.:nice:

Go a G-force kit in your t-5 they work great and handle good power. They're lighter and eat up less horsepower. If you have the right clutch set-up, firewall adjuster and quadrant a z-rated kit in your t-5 will handle 300hp. I pushed my z-rated t-5 with 500rwhp and made at least 20 passes on 8.5 in. slicks 1.48 60ft and never broke it. Most of the time trannies get hurt by driver failure if you make a bad shift even great transmissions break. Save the power shifting for the track or when your racing somebody it's just plain hard on parts. Ask Walt at pro-motion and see what trans and clutch set up he recommends. If you can save some dough on your trans you can put it towards your h/c/i combo.

Go a G-force kit in your t-5 they work great and handle good power. They're lighter and eat up less horsepower. If you have the right clutch set-up, firewall adjuster and quadrant a z-rated kit in your t-5 will handle 300hp. I pushed my z-rated t-5 with 500rwhp and made at least 20 passes on 8.5 in. slicks 1.48 60ft and never broke it. Most of the time trannies get hurt by driver failure if you make a bad shift even great transmissions break. Save the power shifting for the track or when your racing somebody it's just plain hard on parts. Ask Walt at pro-motion and see what trans and clutch set up he recommends. If you can save some dough on your trans you can put it towards your h/c/i combo.

The GForces free up 3-4 HP according to MM&FF. I have only heard of 1 problem with the G-Force but I only know 1 person with one so thats a 100% ****ty feedback I have on them and they are $$$$!!

Get the TKO, its proven.