Today's mustang day-dream: Ever felt like building a slower fox?

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Knox, KY
I found it Ironic today that while I sat contemplating what I would do if I could find another 5.0 project to build, I realized that I've gotten to the point that I'd rather build something simpler than I already have. Of course when I started off it was always about building something bigger and faster and it's progressed to the point I'm at now - a potentially 4 digit rwhp monster (at least in my book). I can still see growing in the future.

But today, I thought about what I would do if I could start a new project. I found that I'd really like to get an 87-93 notch and try and run mid 12s with bolt-ons. I think my combo would be something simple. Here's what I day dreamed up.

87-93 notch

Engine:
1 5/8" long tubes w/ H-pipe dumped
Cobra, or GT40 intake
1.72 roller rockers
short belt
UD pullies
75mm MAF (if it's a MAF year)
65mm TB
stock heads/cam
Electric fan or removed fan/clutch at the track
AFM or similar Cold air intake
bumped timing
AFPR

Other parts:
Subframe connectors
4 cyl front springs w/ remove front sway bar
ET Streets on welds with skinnies up front
Air-bag in right rear
Battery moved to the back
4.10 gears
Wabro pump
manual steering rack
Pro50 shifter
KC clutch (would the stocker hold up at this power level I wonder?)

weight:
removed A/C
Removed smog pump
removed power steering
removed dog-bone
remove spare tire
fiberglass hood

I think this car would go 12s pretty easily, and it would be so much fun on the street with drag radials on 10-hole rims, assuming they make any that fit. The look on vette owner's faces and LS1s etc would be prices from a stop light. What other little stuff am I missing?

Who on here already has this car, and how's it running?

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I see where you are coming from and it would be cool. A fast budget built fox. Since it is gonna have removed items and no options, at least get a badass set of wheels for the street and a hell of a nice paint job. IMO...when I'm at the track...there is nothing worse than a 12-13 second bolt on Mustang that looks like a heap.

What if your car is still slow. :(

I wish I was in your position, haha. But I'd be more concerned with what my next wild build would be. After the Stang is violently fast and looks good to boot, I think I'd like to build a truck. Maybe a really old Bronco.

What if your car is still slow. :(

Then I guess I'd have to sell it and pretend it never happened:rlaugh:

I wish I was in your position, haha. But I'd be more concerned with what my next wild build would be. After the Stang is violently fast and looks good to boot, I think I'd like to build a truck. Maybe a really old Bronco.

I have such a long way to go, in my mind, with my current mustang. It's all just a pipe dream, but it's fun.

I kinda want to build another Stang, but after Hack Job, I'm kinda done. I look at everybodies progress threads along with my own...and I'm like...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...lol.

I don't think I want to begin a project like mine again. Maybe a wreck. I like just fixing what is wrecked, painting that area and being done...

You talked about 10 holes. I always thought it'd be cool to chop and widen a pair to 9 inches or so and re-machine the face to that diamond-cut look where it shines like crazy (like how the new high-end machined wheels look), polish the center caps and repaint the "Ford" text high gloss black. Mini-tub the car (but don't trash the interior) and run 315+ tires in back, but stock size tires in front. It would look sooooo sick.

I kinda want to build another Stang, but after Hack Job, I'm kinda done. I look at everybodies progress threads along with my own...and I'm like...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...lol.

I don't think I want to begin a project like mine again. Maybe a wreck. I like just fixing what is wrecked, painting that area and being done...

Have you ever thought about making something of a career in building cars for people? Hack Job came out beautiful and look how quick it sold.

Can you link me? I'm not sure I've seen this one.

You talked about 10 holes. I always thought it'd be cool to chop and widen a pair to 9 inches or so and re-machine the face to that diamond-cut look where it shines like crazy (like how the new high-end machined wheels look), polish the center caps and repaint the "Ford" text high gloss black. Mini-tub the car (but don't trash the interior) and run 315+ tires in back, but stock size tires in front. It would look sooooo sick.

I'd love to see something like this.

IMO...when I'm at the track...there is nothing worse than a 12-13 second bolt on Mustang that looks like a heap.

My thoughts about 10 holes are that they'd never see it coming from a car that looked so plain. I'm not really talking about a heap. I could not be seen in a worn out mustang... It has to be clean, but stock looking/sleeper is fun for me.

Chris

I have every intention of building a reasonably slow(er) Fox down the road. Might try to find a red convertible with a black interior. I'd probably stay with the stock cam, do a clean up of the E7's, throw on some 1.7 rockers, and toss a blower on it. Might add a Cobra rear bumper and maybe sideskirts, but otherwise, I'd leave it alone. Stock drivability, more than enough power on tap, and reliable.

I think your idea is kinda what most of us have "just because" :lol:

I mean, i'm not TRYING to build a 12 second car, i've just ended up there. Personally i would totally love to find a mint condition 4cyl 5spd coupe for a daily driver and leave it totally bone stock and showcar condition.

I see where you are coming from and it would be cool. A fast budget built fox. Since it is gonna have removed items and no options, at least get a badass set of wheels for the street and a hell of a nice paint job. IMO...when I'm at the track...there is nothing worse than a 12-13 second bolt on Mustang that looks like a heap.

Hey now, i resemble that :lol:

Sounds like the kind of car I want mine to be one day, minus the stripped down amenities. I already have the explorer motor; now I need brakes, susp, and a paint job, but my funds wont allow it at the moment.:(

I always liked the idea of a car that runs in street trim with full interior, no slicks, no short belt, no intake ice, and ect. I dont know, but a good quick street car impresses me the most... even if its not the fastest.

Hey now, i resemble that :lol:

As soon as I read that I skipped the all the other post and looked for 85_SS post. :rlaugh:
You're getting there, I think your car is pretty bad ass. :nice:

i know what you mean chris, i havent gotten into the really "fast" zone yet, but i would love, someday, to build a kickass little street car out of a stocker that i could take anywhere and kick ass with whenever i wanted.

That is pretty much what I am running in my notch except I have an AOD. Have not gotten a chance to drive it much yet. I am going to try to get it on a dyno in 2 weeks and will post the results if I do.