Fox Trick Flow 170’s on a 331 Stroker

• Sponsors (?)

Not saying your wrong but... cid will at the very least add useable torque, I am attaching a link to an article done where they used a 393w and ran a set of e7 heads on it they flow miserably low numbers as we all know. The 302 only made 210hp in this trim but a 393w made 387hp and 461tq with the same heads. Albeit a much larger cam.

Amen and x2 on the cubes... cubes=increased torque in any scenario, be it by stroke OR bore. There just ain't no getting around it, haha.
P.S. Fascinating article...I'm with you in that the added cam timing helped provide the huge horsepower bump, which is text book. But man that's a torquey bugger...what an unmerciful tire shredder that sucker would be; And for pretty cheap!

It’s really simple despite Kurt’s claims. Most guys were always shooting for 300/300 benchmark on 302s with a H/C/I combo, and few actually hit it. Several of us have the 170’s on strokers and have evidence of 330-350/350+ numbers at the wheels. You’re telling me 30-50+ horsepower and torque at the wheels is nothing? Plus the better foundation for future upgrades...

Reactions: 1 user
In defense of Kurt's point, even though consensus seems to be that you will pick up power, a 347 wants a 205+cc head and with such a head, they push up into the 400s to the tire fairly routinely, these days. Disclaimer: Not all 205cc heads will necessarily get the job done, but most will.

Anyways, it sounds like the OP's got a lead on a smokin' deal, and I'd encourage him to go for it.

It’s really simple despite Kurt’s claims. Most guys were always shooting for 300/300 benchmark on 302s with a H/C/I combo, and few actually hit it. Several of us have the 170’s on strokers and have evidence of 330-350/350+ numbers at the wheels. You’re telling me 30-50+ horsepower and torque at the wheels is nothing? Plus the better foundation for future upgrades...
I'm pulling the motor in my sig out of my wrecked 95 to put in the 94 cobra. It has 185 ish on the block but the heads were reworked @ 182k for a broken spring on no. 2. I did not at that time have the bottom end done as I wasn't sure if I wanted a 302 still or wanted to stroke it and didn't want the car down too too long. Now that I'm about to pull it I'm kind of wanting to finish the 94 though it has a running stock motor in it wish 270k and runs damn strong. I want to finish that car so I can get started on the other 95 to which I'll do a 351. So yeah many projects to work on and I'm thinking if for some reason I am tired of the 302 setup that I've had for quite some time, I'll later pull it and either do a 306 or stroke it using the same components. It'll likely be a 331 though as for the intake I have I'm sure it'll be better suited for it overall. I think it's actually a little too big for my current setup but the car is already tuned for it.

In defense of Kurt's point, even though consensus seems to be that you will pick up power, a 347 wants a 205+cc head and with such a head, they push up into the 400s to the tire fairly routinely, these days. Disclaimer: Not all 205cc heads will necessarily get the job done, but most will.

Anyways, it sounds like the OP's got a lead on a smokin' deal, and I'd encourage him to go for it.
yeah kind of what I will do if I do a 331 later; just use the parts I have. Reference to my last post above

I couldn't pass up the deal on these from a local. Theyll work much better than what I had, which was nothing. Lol
For what you're looking to get, you will be more than happy with the TW 170's on a stroker. My 347 with the 170's is by no means a slouch and is reliable as heck. However heck is reliable. :D
If your goal is 350/350, you will get that easily with the proper intake/fuel set up, etc.

For what you're looking to get, you will be more than happy with the TW 170's on a stroker. My 347 with the 170's is by no means a slouch and is reliable as heck. However heck is reliable. :D
If your goal is 350/350, you will get that easily with the proper intake/fuel set up, etc.
I think it's a realistic baseline. It's going in my 66 Mustang Coupe. I'm looking for a fun driver, nothing crazy.

My very first post, as well as other’s have all stated the 170s are not optimal. However, claiming a stroker is all but useless under them versus a 306 is just not true. Maybe I read his replies wrong, but that’s the point I took from his posts. Not trying to be a dick, but facts are facts.

It's more a matter of dynamics. The engine power is a factor of airflow. That is to say it will only make as much power as the heads will flow. The 347 just peaks those heads out at a lower RPM. There was a good comparison from Muscle Mustangs years ago with E7 heads, I can't find it right now. I think the strokers eek out more power with the same heads, because they are always compared to a factory bottom end, or factory rebuilds. So you end up with a stroker engine with a higher compression ratio, and more valve relief for more valve lift being compared to a set of TF170cc heads that were taken off of a stock bottom end with 9:1 compression. I'm not saying that going to a stroker engine will yield zero results. I'm saying that I don't think that handful of hp or peak torque going down a few 100 rpms is worth the $1500-$2000. There are so much better places to spend that money.

Kurt

Since this is a discussion on heads, I want to know where the torque numbers are between those two heads on say a 347.
I ask this because I could care about hp numbers. I'm on the street and my feelings have always been torque numbers down low in the rpm range are king on the street. Am I wrong thinking this way?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Since this is a discussion on heads, I want to know where the torque numbers are between those two heads on say a 347.
I ask this because I could care about hp numbers. I'm on the street and my feelings have always been torque numbers down low in the rpm range are king on the street. Am I wrong thinking this way?
I don't have the sheet on me right now but I got 395 ft./pds with my 170's on a 347.

Found it!

The first run was right after break in. The second one was about 1,500 miles later and some tinkering with settings and plugs.

Attachments

• SKM_C554e19112006430.pdf
    583.8 KB · Views: 172
I don't think anyone is wrong in thinking a particular way, because it's a hobby and it's different strokes for different folks. However, you can get more torque at the wheel through gearing. You can never get more power through gearing.

Which two sets of heads are you asking about? E7s to TFS 170s? If so, those TFS heads are going to beat the E7s like a red-headed step-child in hp and tq everywhere in the power band.

Found it!

The first run was right after break in. The second one was about 1,500 miles later and some tinkering with settings and plugs.
For those who would prefer not to download files:
1576260099046.png

1576260173241.png

Reactions: 1 users
That's just over my power goals, but very impressive.
Can you elaborate on your combo?
Sure, it's not a secret recipe.

347ci Ford Competition Small Block

New Trickflow 170cc runner CNC chamber heads Track heat

q 61cc Chamber
q 2.02 In valves
q 1.600 Ex valves
q CNC Chamber
q 1.6 Roller rockers
q 10 degree keepers
q 1.440 dual valve springs
q 7/16 studs

347 Ford Engine Block

q A Ford Roller Block Was Used
q Block was square decked
q Block was line honed
q Block was square bored and honed with honing plates
q Engine was trial assembled twice
q Lifter bores are honed

Competition 347ci Ford Parts List Break Down

q TFS Wiseco Forged .030 pistons
q .030 Filt Fit Moly Rings
q A 5140 Steel 28oz 3.400 stroke
q Engine is 28oz balanced
q A Set of Scat SIR floated rods 5.400 length
q Large radius Main and rod bearings
q Seal Power cam bearings
q Brass Freeze Plugs
q Cam plate and bolts
q Mell oil pump and drive
q Canton pick up
q New ARP head bolts
q A complete gasket set
q Oil and Filter
q Double Roller timing set
q A Anderson N41 cam
q A set of Chrome moly Push rods
q A New Aluminum Timing Cover
q 1.6 Roller Rockers TFS
q A Trickflow Intake 51511002

In addition,

Accufab 75mmTbody
Pro-M mass air for 39# injectors
FMS 39# injectors

It's more a matter of dynamics. The engine power is a factor of airflow. That is to say it will only make as much power as the heads will flow. The 347 just peaks those heads out at a lower RPM. There was a good comparison from Muscle Mustangs years ago with E7 heads, I can't find it right now. I think the strokers eek out more power with the same heads, because they are always compared to a factory bottom end, or factory rebuilds. So you end up with a stroker engine with a higher compression ratio, and more valve relief for more valve lift being compared to a set of TF170cc heads that were taken off of a stock bottom end with 9:1 compression. I'm not saying that going to a stroker engine will yield zero results. I'm saying that I don't think that handful of hp or peak torque going down a few 100 rpms is worth the $1500-$2000. There are so much better places to spend that money.

Kurt
what would be your suggestion for him in a nutshell? Maybe I'll be doing the same thing come one day, similiar situation. Right now I'll put the motor from my sig with 190 k in the 94 cobra. I'll change the exhaust and few other things while I'm messing with it and see how I like the car overall. If I think I need more out of it I'll need to decide rather I just want to do a 306 or 331. I will be using the same components with likely changing the cam if I do a 331. I'll also be more than likely when i finish the swap doing a 351 for the other car so that's why with the 94 cobra just throwing in the engine from the wrecked car makes sense.