Trick Flow 170 W/ 58cc.......should I Add Cam Or Just 1.7 Rockers? Compression Ratio?

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I am upgrading from a set of gt40 ( 3 bar) heads to a set of TFS 170's with 58cc.........should I go with a stage 1 TFS cam or just use a set of 1.7 roller rockers ? The 58 cc limits cam choices to under 530 lift I was told and the stage 1 is .499/.510 lift, I' not sure of the difference a set of 1.7 rr would make with a stock cam, anyone know what the lift of a stock cam would be with the 1.7's? Also what about the compression ratio, what would it be with a stock bottom end and 58cc heads?

• Sponsors (?)

Compression will be around 9.5:1. Stock cam with 1.7 is around .480 lift. If you want an extra few hp and a little lope go with 1.6 rr and a different cam. The tfs 1 is popular. Comp cams has a few ots choices as does Lunati,Anderson ford,bullet cams,and of course the ford alphabet cams. I wouldn't use the alphabet cams but there still are plenty of people who do. I highly recommend looking into a custom cam. You can get one for around 350-400$ depending on who you use and the particular cams construction. It will be designed exactly to your cars combination and driving style etc.

Oh and the stock cam/1.7rr option isn't a bad choice if on a budget. The car will have stock mannerisms while making a little more power. The heads,stock cam and good induction will make around 50 extra hp and behave like stock.

Oh and the stock cam/1.7rr option isn't a bad choice if on a budget. The car will have stock mannerisms while making a little more power. The heads,stock cam and good induction will make around 50 extra hp and behave like stock.
I wasn't sure of the lift with the stock cam/1.7's.....Thanks. I am still leaning towards either a stage 1 or XE264 cam. Both should work and give me clearance with the 58cc heads, I was told by TFS that I could go up to about .530 lift, stage 1 is .499/.510 and he XE is .512/.512, still not sure which would be better choice for me, so I will probably go with 1.6's and one of those cams to save a little $$ that I can spend on a Bama 4-Bank eliminator chip.....

I wasn't sure of the lift with the stock cam/1.7's.....Thanks. I am still leaning towards either a stage 1 or XE264 cam. Both should work and give me clearance with the 58cc heads, I was told by TFS that I could go up to about .530 lift, stage 1 is .499/.510 and he XE is .512/.512, still not sure which would be better choice for me, so I will probably go with 1.6's and one of those cams to save a little $$ that I can spend on a Bama 4-Bank eliminator chip.....

bama chip? :zipit:

Reactions: 1 users
X2 on mikes advise. Check out alternative automotive. Lidio has a good reputation (I believe he still runs it). Been around tuning/modifying 5.0's since the beginning. Also my vote would be the comp cam but either is a good choice IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

That's because the valve train that comes on the heads are junk. They'll handle mild weak camshafts but anything with an aggressive lobe will require new springs. I'd do 1.6's, custom cam and new lightweight LS style springs to match.

What intake, gears, exhaust, injectors are you using?

I've got an Anderson Ford PMS (series 2) for sale cheap if you are interested in dialing in the car yourself.

That's because the valve train that comes on the heads are junk. They'll handle mild weak camshafts but anything with an aggressive lobe will require new springs. I'd do 1.6's, custom cam and new lightweight LS style springs to match.

What intake, gears, exhaust, injectors are you using?

I've got an Anderson Ford PMS (series 2) for sale cheap if you are interested in dialing in the car yourself.
Are you saying the vale springs on TFS heads need to be replaced with a .499/.512 lift cam or .512/.512 cam? Right now I have an intake from an Explorer, 3.73 gears, exhaust is 1 5/8 shorty headers into a 2.5in x-pipe into flowmasters. TB is 65mm and 70mm MAF from a 95 Mustang -19lb injectors............I plan on getting a Pro-M MAF and either 24 or 30 lb injectors....but the car is also an AOD car, not a 5 speed....it is also a daily driver.

The springs are ok for a mild tfs 1 cam. You start getting into aggressive lobes and fast ramp profiles and they quickly become garbage.
With my heads only being the 58cc heads and having stock pistons I can't go over a .530 lift or the valves would hit the pistons from what TFS told me, but my car is a daily driver so I don't want a real big cam, just a bit more power than what I am getting with the gt40 heads.

With my heads only being the 58cc heads and having stock pistons I can't go over a .530 lift or the valves would hit the pistons from what TFS told me, but my car is a daily driver so I don't want a real big cam, just a bit more power than what I am getting with the gt40 heads.

That's incorrect. The lift of the camshaft doesn't really dictate how 'big' it is or if you'll have p to v clearance issues.

That's incorrect. The lift of the camshaft doesn't really dictate how 'big' it is or if you'll have p to v clearance issues.
When I was talking with the TFS tech guy I told him I was using a stock short block 5.0 with stock pistons, I assume they have done plenty of R&D work with stock and modified 5.0's, he seemed very knowledgeable about what would work and what would give ptv problems, he did say I need to check ptv clearance but that a cam with under a .530 lift should work. He knew the length of pushrods right away and didn't have to look up the info.

Peak cam lift has zero to do with piston to valve clearance. Unless he was talking about the max the junk springs they use can handle? I ran a .547" lift cam with 57cc TFS heads on a stock short like 12 years ago. No issues. I had upgraded springs and titanium retainers.

Plus 1, I ran and still am running 540. + lift, after about a year I pulled the valve covers due to a slight tick, one valve lock fell out of valve retainer? Don't know exactly why, probably rpm and valve float? Upgraded to different springs and regularly run those heads to 6500+ . They'll handle .550 fine if your running under 6,000