Tune set up questions

blk05stang

Nov 22, 2004
san diego
Just wanted to know how people were setting up the tunes on the car. I have an off road X-pipe with flowmaster axle back...underdrive pullies and the k&n air charger kit. I was wanting to see what people thought as far as how I should set my tune in reguards to WOT fuel curves and Spark Advance according to how you guy's tunes were set up? Haven't gotten a chance to get it dyno tuned yet so I wanted to see if there was somebody who had gotten their's's dyno'd so I could maybe match it up as close as possible without hurting the car until I get the cash to throw it on the dyno. Anything would help. I have the diablosport tuner.
Thanks

Jon​

• Sponsors (?)

Run the vehicle at cruise, monitoring or logging the short term fuel trims and see how close they are to 1-2% and make adjustments there first. With out the use of dyno time it’s hard to look at WOT. You need to look at A/F ratio, and the vehicle can not accurately supply this data through O2 sensors. The feeling is generally that this is a lean set up so adding some fuel can not be seen as a risk. Continue to add some fuel at WOT until the vehicle seems to respond negatively.

Try to get a feel for how the vehicle responds and go from there. If you can dyno tune the power you gain is worth the cost.

Try a custom tuning CMR dealer from our dealer locator:

http://www.diablosport.com/OurDealers.php

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport Sales Manager
[email protected]

NickDiabloSport said:
Run the vehicle at cruise, monitoring or logging the short term fuel trims and see how close they are to 1-2% and make adjustments there first. With out the use of dyno time it’s hard to look at WOT. You need to look at A/F ratio, and the vehicle can not accurately supply this data through O2 sensors. The feeling is generally that this is a lean set up so adding some fuel can not be seen as a risk. Continue to add some fuel at WOT until the vehicle seems to respond negatively.

Try to get a feel for how the vehicle responds and go from there. If you can dyno tune the power you gain is worth the cost.

Try a custom tuning CMR dealer from our dealer locator:

http://www.diablosport.com/OurDealers.php

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

Say the short term fuel trim is not 1-2% what do you adjust?

You’re going to adjust MAF curve, but let’s look at the fuel trims before we get into the details of adjustment. The calibration for aftermarket modifications, specifically CAI, is much more complex then just adjustment of the MAF curve; this is a band aid until you can have the car properly tuned.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

NickDiabloSport said:
You’re going to adjust MAF curve, but let’s look at the fuel trims before we get into the details of adjustment. The calibration for aftermarket modifications, specifically CAI, is much more complex then just adjustment of the MAF curve; this is a band aid until you can have the car properly tuned.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]

The short term trim is swinging from -3 to + 2

The short term fuel trims in advanced WOT, at cruise and idle, will switch from approximately -3 to +3 when they are matured. That is a good sign that the adaptive strategy has applied the short term information to the long term fuel trims. Once the short terms have matured, you can start applying the data from the long term fuel trims to your tune. The goal is to get long term fuel trims to be as close to 1 to 2 as possible when you are finished tuning, factory standard is 4%.

Now you will apply the data from long term fuel trims to adjust your MAF curve. If you see -5% on your long term fuel trims, then you will want to subtract 5% from you mass air curve. Then you will reset the keep alive memory in your computer by disconnecting the batter and pulling the headlights on to discharge any power.

Now start the vehicle and display your fuel trims.

Repeat this process until you are happy with the drivability of your vehicle.

The point has to be made again; this is not the complete and proper way to tune for certain aftermarket modifications on your vehicle, especially when a CAI is installed.
It will help to correct the lean situation the vehicle may be running with, you need to seek out a CMR Custom tuning dealer to dyno tune the vehicle using A/F ratio and properly calibrate the entire tune.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
[email protected]