turbo set up and custom made headers

12sec67

Oct 6, 2003
San Diego, Ca
10secgoal wanted me to post some pics up of his set up he made for his car with the headers he has been working on for the past couple months.

driversidech3.jpg

frontviewdy7.jpg

passengerviewuf7.jpg

Attachments

• driversidech3.jpg
    driversidech3.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 120
  • frontviewdy7.jpg
    frontviewdy7.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 98
  • passengerviewuf7.jpg
    passengerviewuf7.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 116
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanx Paul.
The kit itself will fit under the hood. The bonnet is what is going to be the concern. But that depends on the style intake you run. I would have to buy an intake from weiand and see if it fits. Probably could. Pauls barely doesn't it looks like and he has a Victor Jr.
Brian, gimme just a little longer. They will fit on the passenger side, you can tell just by looking at it. They might fit on the driver. I need to throw a 351 in one of these cars sitting here, or the mock up.

brianj5600 said:
Looks very nice. How about the 351w headers?
Ok, some more on this. It was a little different than I had originally expected. I need to frind a correct set of motor mounts for my car. I just centered it in my car and threw on the heades. The driver seems to fit fine. The passenger side will need a little help it looks like. Once it actually get it in there with a tranny and correct motor mounts, it may be different. :scratch:

Thanx guys. I wouldn't be worried about it. There are always ways to make the uneasiness go away though. turbo blanket, or a peice of shielding on the hood. I'll get some measurements the best I can for how far away it is.

Maybe I am missing something, so humor me...

Why are you using the flex coupling between the headers?
Doesn't that put the entire weight of the system onto the driver's side pipes?
Wouldn't the weight be better spread with solid connections to both headers to share the load? Why would there be a need for movement between the two headers? The engine itself does not flex and if the turbo was to flex, it would be a matter of not having enough support, and would stress the driver's header. Not desirable IMO.
Seems to me that the flex junction should be in the downpipe to isolate the turbo from the stress of carrying the weight of the rest of the exhaust.
Just a thought.
If I am missing something, I am curious.
Dave

The flex is there so when the headers and crossover heat up. The expansion, especially in the crossover expands outward and tries to push the headers outward. Causing crack in the underside of the header tubes going into flange, or at the collector. The wieght is not that big of a deal with this size turbo, and 16 guage header tubing helps. the flex also helps me as the builder. It gives me a little room for error. Not really in my fitting. But ever time you weld a joint, it expands and contracts and throws it all off a little. Then after I finish the headers, I have to mill them get the flanges straight again, which throws things off a little some more. Everything gets test fit before it goes out to make sure. But it helps.
Glad to see you back 411, thought you where outta her...