Fox V8 Swapped 4cyl Car Suspension???

Fox89Coupe

May 3, 2016
i have a 1989 mustang coupe that was originally 4 cyl swapped to a 306. It rides like a ton of bricks. Can't tell if the original owner cut the springs or if the shocks are shot. But I want to upgrade to a good setup but all the ones I see are for a 5.0. Cool. What do I have to change to make that upgrade work besides the 5.0 spindles? If I have to do controls arms I'll do it just not sure what I need.

• Sponsors (?)

To get my strange struts/mm coil over springs to fit on the front I had to have a machine shop mill off the stock spindles(86 GT-which are the same as the later 4cyl cars). You can go that way(cheaper) or buy some spindles. But if buying spindles you might as well start looking for some 5 lug versions and convert everything over.

As far as rear suspension goes there isn't any differences between the two. Just purchase quality pieces from a good vendor. I like maximum motorsports,TeamZ motorsports,UPR,etc. If you are a drag racer at all,you can even keep the 4 cyl springs. I would swap them out for a performance lowering spring if you want it to handle(Eibach,steeda,FRPP,TeamZ,all have some good products). Struts and shocks need to be matched to your preferred driving style. Adjustable examples are nice but more budget pieces like KYB are ok for street driving. Add some good bushings,swaybar links,etc. Just remember that these cars tend to be a little rough riding anyway but can be tailored to your needs.

Already has subframe connectors. It's more less going to street cruiser and a Lil tack use. But I want it to ride good. I know it's not gonna ride like a cadillac.

Reactions: 1 user
Already has subframe connectors. It's more less going to street cruiser and a Lil tack use. But I want it to ride good. I know it's not gonna ride like a cadillac.

Strange Struts/ Shocks are adjustable to make the car ride as soft or hard as you would like....

There are slightly cheaper options but Strange is the best bang for the buck.

You'll need the Spindles, rotors, and brake calipers (which are bigger). If the pedal feels soft look at changing the Master cylinder to the GT, Cobra, or SVO version.

Look for a stock set of V8 springs (LMR) people around your fox community probably will give them away or sell cheap.

Do you have an 8.8 axle out back? or still the 7.5?

Out back, any 5.0 springs/shocks will work fine. The main difference out back is that the 2.3L didn't have a rear sway bar, so you might want to add one here if none is currently present.

Up front, the spindles and brakes are pretty much pre-87 stuff. You'll need the spindles, rotors, lines calipers and the booster used on the 5.0 is a little larger as well. The struts are different too.

If you pretty much change the front brakes, and add a rear sway bar, at that point you can just add 5.0 shocks/struts and springs and have a 5.0 suspension.