Exhaust Want to add cats

If anyone has a Bassani or BBK catted mid pipe, where are the cats located in relation to the transmission tail housing. Even with it, further forward or further back?

• Sponsors (?)

Best pic I have at the moment. I’ll try to remember to get one from the side. But the cats are after the X-memver. I’ll take a better shot later

IMG_2470.jpeg

Last edited:
I have my stock mid pipe in the shed and I measured the position of the rear cats to the rear pipe connection and compared to the available space under my car with the current mid pipe. I can splice cats in my current mid pipe and the center of the cat body would be 6” closer to the engine than the cat on the stock pipe.

I was looking at pictures of the Bassani pipe and judging measurements and I think I would be a few inches forward of those as well.

Now, one of the reasons I was opting for metallic substrate was the option of being really close to the engine. Metallic would survive that heat whereby a ceramic substrate could melt. However, if I’m back by the trans tail housing then ceramic could probably survive just fine. Ceramics are significantly less expensive than metallic.

What is the substrate materials of the Bassani and BBK cats?

Best pic I have at the moment. I’ll try to remember to get one from the side. But the cats are after the X-memver. I’ll take a better shot later

IMG_2470.jpeg
Yeah that looks just about the same place I have room but i think I can inch them forward a bit more. Does the Bassani pipe assemble with band clamps? Any idea what the substrate in the cats is made of?

Ok i just did some research and the Bassani pipe uses a ceramic substrate. So, i assume their judgment is good on choosing that for their product. That means i can get the same dimension cats with ceramic instead of metallic substrate and save more money.

2 Magnaflow 53956 2.5” ceramic and 4 stainless steel band clamps will set me back $267. If that cleans up the exhaust while sacrificing a very small amount of power, im there! Install myself no problem.

Maybe you can hook up with this guy and do a swap/trade..

Yeah that looks just about the same place I have room but i think I can inch them forward a bit more. Does the Bassani pipe assemble with band clamps? Any idea what the substrate in the cats is made of?

The pipes slip over each other and then you use a band style clamp

Not a great pic but this is how it comes.

IMG_6151.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures.

I just ordered 2 of the Magnaflow 53956 and stainless steel band clamps. The Basssni piece is nice but that would cost me $900. I can get what I need done for $267 by splicing in to my existing pipe. And I would not need all the air tubes that come as part of the Basssni anyway.

How about this idea? Since the cats will be further back, maybe put a heat shield to retain heat. Do you think this can help the cat function more efficiently in cleaning the exhaust? I know the product is intended to keep the floor board cooler and that's good too. But will it also help the function of cleaning exhaust.

Attachments

• cat-armor-hpi.pdf
    360.8 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for the pictures.

I just ordered 2 of the Magnaflow 53956 and stainless steel band clamps. The Basssni piece is nice but that would cost me $900. I can get what I need done for $267 by splicing in to my existing pipe. And I would not need all the air tubes that come as part of the Basssni anyway.
Wow, $900 for the Bassani catted X-pipe! I had to look mine up. I paid $667 for mine three years ago.

Bill

Sure you could buy a prefitted nice cat setup
But
Building your own is so much more fun with all the hassle
Run what cha brung
Looks okay to me for now
Back in the 80s we used recall Tempo cats and just bolted or welded them to the back of some shorty header flanges.

Reactions: 1 users
So I’m gonna say that in two or three feet of pipe the exhaust temperature is not going to change that much with the motor at operating temperature. I put the Walker cats in my BBK off road x-pipe right where the band clamps used to be. Passed Houston, TX emissions (sniffer in the tail pipe with the car on the rollers and zero emissions equipment.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, $900 for the Bassani catted X-pipe! I had to look mine up. I paid $667 for mine three years ago.

Bill
I started to buy parts for my car a couple of years ago " predicting " what was going to happen... Boy was I right.. Shocking is the best I can describe how much items have gone up.....
But its better than those HORRIBLE " mean tweets"........

How about this idea? Since the cats will be further back, maybe put a heat shield to retain heat. Do you think this can help the cat function more efficiently in cleaning the exhaust? I know the product is intended to keep the floor board cooler and that's good too. But will it also help the function of cleaning exhaust.

How did you find that? I keep getting stuff like this:

1692466393500.png

:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I finished installing the Dynomax 53959 cats. The cats are 2.5” inside diameter and the pipes are 2.5” outside diameter. Offset Evil Energy band clamps were used. There were very small leaks where the hardware pulls together. They were completely sealed with Permatex muffler and tailpipe sealer.

It’s really clean smelling compared to before. The raspy sound of the Flowmaster 40’s has been subdued. It runs great. I’m very happy I put these on the car.

2F0DB4D1-1F13-48A8-B12E-D0B92FD986DC.png

CBC2B588-33DA-4BC8-B9EB-FF73695D9B88.png

View: https://youtu.be/PfaTubeev5s?si=d8Wwn0RFvNBSLnkt