Warped aluminum heads?

Grn92LX said:
You need to talk to a machine shop then, you sound lost. Do you even know what a clean up mill is or does? A clean up mill will surface the deck as much as it takes to be 100% true. Could be .040" could be .002" you won't know until its done/checked. If it gets clean up milled enough, it'll raise the compression enough to gain some ponys. Mine needed appx .015" to clean up taking me from 57.6cc to 55.6cc.

I wasn't trying to say your stuff is small, I was saying mine was bigger and cleared fine. My old fti cam was VERY small for my liking but it was also designed to spin a tad higher than yours. I made sure not to make that small cam mistake on the new motor.

No, I'm not lost. I know exactly what you were talking about. I'm wanting to do the mill for performance reasons.

You also have aftermarket pistons and the valves are used in a different way than inline heads like afr's.

A "small cam" is not a mistake...it is all in what you want. Ed said mine can hit 110mph in my combo that has gotten 24mpg. I haven't seen a 302 cam bigger than the one I have with stock pistons yet...

• Sponsors (?)

"My cam comes very close to hitting..." What was your p tov clearance? If you know what it is, there's no need to measure it again...

If the heads were significantly warped from the high heat, you'd have some other symptoms (HG gone, leaks, etc.). The 'clean up' cut will likely be only .005" or so -- unless you're right on the edge of p to v, it's not gonna pose a problem. Your local shop should be able to tell you what the cost is and how much they'll take off for a typical clean up -- cost won't vary much with how much is removed. That amount also won't significantly impact pushrod length, geometry or port alignment.