Weird Question

ahhjaws

Dec 31, 2003
Fort Collins, CO
Ok, here it goes. I purchased a 97 GT last week. It was a repo from the bank, so I can't contact the previous owner. I know he's done a lot work to it, but since I don't know too much about engines, I can't say as to what he did to it. My friend has a 95 z28 Camaro with the 350, I'm guessing LT1. I was able to stay with him, slightly beat him off the line and at highway speeds. This to me seems like there'd have to be something done to the engine. I've read up on this +99 head swap. Are there any differences someone could point out b/w the 2 to see if he did that? It looks like he has the adjustable timing, probably a chip too. To find out the gearing I guess I'll have to get in the difs. Any other possiblities? It kind of sounds like a dumb question to me. If someone asks what I have under there, I can't say anything. lol

Mustang07.jpg

Mustang08.jpg

Mustang09.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for everyones help. Since that pic, I've had to get a new battery, and I took out the sub wire. I'm not too much of a "blow out the windows" type of guy. :)

So would you guys think that these mods are considered "good". Please bear with me, since I'm learning. What exactly do those mods do? Thanks in advance.

MineralG2k2GT said:
Some one told me a trick about gears becuase Ihad the same problem when I bought my car used....

In third gear go 56 mph...whatever your Tach reads is what gears you have...it actually works too!!!

i will definitly try this. it sounds like :bs: tho, but i will give it a go :flag:

DerekStangGT said:
i will definitly try this. it sounds like :bs: tho, but i will give it a go :flag:

It's definitely BS - at least as far as working on all cars, with all tires, and all transmissions. Though it's always possible it works for a specific model car with specific tires (for instance, if your mustang has a 1.33-1.35:1 3rd gear, and 25.7 inch diameter tires).

Third gear is not the same ratio in all transmissions...unless they're 3 speeds, in which case it's always 1:1. Just like 4th gear is always 1:1 in 4, 5, and 6 speeds. The highest gear that isn't an underdrive gear is always 1:1. So it might work with some transmissions...but not with others. The other variable is tire diameter. ALL this is going to affect the engine speed at any given vehicle speed. In 4th gear (1:1), or 3rd gear in a 3 speed, with a specific tire diameter, there is going to be a speed where the tach equals the gear ratio, but it's going to vary from one tire diameter to another. It's going to be the speed at which the tire is turning 1000 rpm. 1000 rpm, times the rear gear ratio, through a 1:1 gear in the transmission gives you the engine speed equal to the rear gear ratio, with a decimal between the hundreds and thousands places.

For a modern Mustang with 25.7 inch diameter tires(245/45-17's, for example), you reduce the diameter a couple percent for load compression, and 1000 rpm occurs at 25.7 x .98 x 3.1416 (in./rev) x 1000(rev/min.) / 12 (in./ft.) / 5280 (ft./mi.) x 60 (min./hr.) = 74.9 mph in 4th gear. Obviously, it'll be different for every different tire diameter...but this will ALWAYS work.

In third gear, you'd have to divide this number by the 3rd gear ratio, which you'd have to know before hand, which varies from car model to car model, and sometimes from year to year (not every year, obviously, but occasionally). Whereas 4th gear is ALWAYS 1:1.

Just for clarification.