• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

What car base for gt350 is proper?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NCRob
  • Start date Start date Mar 1, 2021
N

NCRob

New Member
Mar 1, 2021
1
0
1
NC
Mar 1, 2021
#1
  • Mar 1, 2021
  • #1
I’m looking at my first 60s mustang. I have noticed several gt350 clone/ tribute cars that are not fastbacks. Was there ever a gt350 that wasn’t a fastback? What’s the reason for the non fastback tributes? Is this totally wrong or acceptable?
 

Cool Beans

Active Member
Aug 2, 2014
181
43
38
Mar 1, 2021
#2
  • Mar 1, 2021
  • #2
It's a tribute...so it's basically "you do you". I don't like 67-68 fast backs, so I wouldn't do a 67-68 Fastback GT350 tribute. But I would do a convertible tribute if that's what I was planning. The real question is: Are you doing this for you and what you want to do? Or what other people want you to do?
 

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
1,198
229
93
Nashville TN
Mar 2, 2021
#3
  • Mar 2, 2021
  • #3
There were only 2 "Shelby" coupes that I know of:



Both were prototypes and not production models...I know the green one at least had IRS and EFI, not sure about the red one. Of course, there may well have been others with the crazy number of one-off cars made during the 60s, but then, just as now, no one wanted a coupe...the fastback(and to a lesser degree the convertible) are/were more desirable.

As far as people throwing shelby pieces on coupes...I wouldn't even call those tributes...coupe-to-fastback conversion are closer to a tribute than those.
 

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
316
26
49
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Mar 4, 2021
#4
  • Mar 4, 2021
  • #4
No GT-350 coupes ever went to market in 65 but I'm pretty sure I read that Carroll Shelby produced 5 GT-350 coupes as promos/mules that were given to friends of his.
I'll try to find the print on that again to confirm.
 

MrGEM

Member
Jan 8, 2000
5
1
13
Colorado
Mar 6, 2021
#5
  • Mar 6, 2021
  • #5
Everyone is right when they say that no GT350 production coupes were ever built.

However... In 1966 and 1967, Shelby American built 46 FIA "Group 2" coupes that were very successful in road racing. The cars were essentially GT350Rs from a mechanical perspective.

1967 Group 2 Mustang #18
 
Reactions: 2Blue2
B

Bob4197

Member
Feb 4, 2021
5
1
13
Delaware
Apr 6, 2021
#6
  • Apr 6, 2021
  • #6
Recently saw a show about Shelby's 67 mustang 'little red'. Very interesting. Thought it went to the crusher but was found in back yard junk pile and fully restored. Here is link to the story
https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2018/09/little-red-mustang-gt-exp-coupe-.html
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Weber Carburetor tuning help
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
171
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
L
For Sale 1966 GT Fastback
  • lwg8tr0514
  • Apr 29, 2025
  • Classic Mustangs For Sale
Replies
0
Views
1K
Classic Mustangs For Sale Apr 29, 2025
lwg8tr0514
L
U
Newbie, considering a '65 fastback
  • unclescratch
  • Nov 6, 2024
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
2
Views
226
The Welcome Wagon Nov 13, 2024
Watton8293
W
J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
229
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
Suspension Quad shocks
  • keel
  • May 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
36
Views
988
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?