What Heads / Cam To Buy?

acoddo

Jun 20, 2017
My next project is heads, cam and intake. I've already got an original 1993 cobra intake. So i'm looking for suggestions for the heads and cam that will compliment that intake. I want very aggressive

Also, I hear a lot about roller rockers, what are those and are they necessary? what else might i need?

here's my intake, come with lower too.
cobra real.PNG

• Sponsors (?)

Are you referring to aggressive sound, or performance? A 302 with ported cobra, tfs heads or AFR165's, and a well matched cam will be a good little performer around town. Roller rockers should be on the upgrade list. It is doable on a $2k budget, but you may need to shop some parts used.

In addition to those hard parts, think about things such as injectors, fuel pump, throttle body, mass air, exhaust, etc that will really be needed to support those mods.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
You can get a solid used set of heads around a grand that will use up all that intake has to give. If you have time to spend on the for sale boards, look for something with a cam that comes up. Honestly Trick Flow has the best line up. However, the difference in performance between any entry level aluminum head is going to be luck of the draw. How does a Trick Flow 170 compare to and Edelbrock Performer RPM, or a Ford X head, or an AFR 165, I don't know, maybe 5hp difference? If you end up with a set AFR 165s for $700 vs buying new TF heads at $1200, the extra $500 you have to spend an afternoon on the dyno dialing it in will definitely make up the difference. A factory Cobra intake flows a hair over 200cfms, so don't go out of your way to get a head that flows 300cfms. Tmoss can get that factory intake up to 250cfms for not a whole lot of money. That doesn't mean the Cobra intake is a bad intake, far from it. It fits nicely, it's a factory unit, and going to a bigger intake can mean giving up more average power for a slightly larger peak power number. Something to think about.

Kurt

Are you referring to aggressive sound, or performance? A 302 with ported cobra, tfs heads or AFR165's, and a well matched cam will be a good little performer around town. Roller rockers should be on the upgrade list. It is doable on a $2k budget, but you may need to shop some parts used.

In addition to those hard parts, think about things such as injectors, fuel pump, throttle body, mass air, exhaust, etc that will really be needed to support those mods.

Joe

This is more what I meant. "very aggressive (sounding) with noticeable power gains. I am not trying to squeeze tenths of a mile at the track here, just build an all around solid machine, that one day hopefully i can install a blower or turbo into.

I have a Trickflow Stage 1 cam I bought and never installed. It is a solid proven cam with GT40 heads, or any of the aluminum head varients. PM me if you decide its something you might want and I'll discount from the price of new.

Used set of gt40s or tfs twisted wedge heads would do the trick. Everything the guys above said is true . I tend to go off the deep end of things so i will leave my advice at that.

Reactions: 1 user
Can we come to a consensus or at least a round number for all the additionals that are needed. The real cost of even gt40 irons is probably closer to 2k after its done and the car is drivable.

20151207_190500.jpg
Items pictured came to just over 4,000 bucks, now you may be substituting certain parts with others that may be less money or reusing parts, I decided that if I had to take it off I was replacing it, this way everything went together like it should and I wouldn't be pulling it all back apart due to a failure.

Reactions: 2 users
All right gents, my mechanic buddy who will be installing everything gave me a recommendation, so I ordered the F303 cam. See pic. He's still researching heads for me that will be an easy install with good power gain.
Screenshot_20170722-115055.png