What's the best option? Rebuild or Engine Swap?

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
Ok not sure if i need either yet, but i'm guessing i will need one or the other... Original engine has about 140k km's on it, but was rebuilt about 2 years ago for a spun bearing. It's looking like i may have the same problem again...

my car is in an apt. parking lot right now, so pulling the engine myself is out of the question, so i'm wondering what my best bet is. currently all the top end is off the engine except heads. get it rebuilt ($2800), or maybe just swap in a used engine out of something like an exploder? what would that cost? keep in mind i am also moving, so the car will be getting towed somewhere, and i can't go pick up, or even look at used engines since i don't have another vehicle. I can't really afford either right now, but i'd rather pick up a beater, have the stang sit, and do it right this time instead of spending all that money just to have a stock engine again. maybe even a 351 or something, but i'd still like to use all my aftermarket stuff i have... opinions? just trying to get a jump on this before i have to make a decision.

• Sponsors (?)

2800 for a rebuilld????

sounds steep to me.

you can find a good place to work on the car, pull the engine, and take it apart...
have the block and other parts prepped and machined by a shop for reassembly and get rings, bearings and gaskets and be ALOT less than 2800, since your heads are still fresh i am assuming from the last teardown you can just bolt them back on, but if going though the trouble i'd get a nice set of heads, a cam and intake for some nice power.

2800 for a rebuilld????

sounds steep to me.

you can find a good place to work on the car, pull the engine, and take it apart...
have the block and other parts prepped and machined by a shop for reassembly and get rings, bearings and gaskets and be ALOT less than 2800, since your heads are still fresh i am assuming from the last teardown you can just bolt them back on, but if going though the trouble i'd get a nice set of heads, a cam and intake for some nice power.

that was the cheapest i found 2 years ago (engine rebuild only shop). most places were around $3400. and prices have skyrocketed for EVERYTHING lately due to labor shortages in all trades. dealership shops charge over $120 an hour around here now.... its crazy. I just got out of school, so i have no money, so i'm looking for the best option without breaking the bank. But i also don't want to do what i did last time and have a stock engine. I'd almost rather wait and either get a stroker kit, or h/c/i if i'm going to have to have all this work done anyways... i was hopin for maybe finding a used gt40 engine or something and getting it + install for under $2000 hopefully.

I usually see a used 5.0 ho go for about $500 around here.

If you tear the engine down yourself, you should be able to get it rebuilt for around 2k. I would just go with a used engine however in your situation. 500 vs 2k is a big difference, especially when the stock **** will do you fine.

LMAO you typed exploder. Probably much faster than an explorer. :rlaugh:

anyways, yeah, i say rebuild, but when you rebuild it, upgrade it. go to a junk yard and look for 5.0 explorers. grab the heads and intake. cheap easy and good upgrades for when you rebuild.

then again i dont believe in replacing the block of a car...ever.....unless its cracked.

I usually see a used 5.0 ho go for about $500 around here.

If you tear the engine down yourself, you should be able to get it rebuilt for around 2k. I would just go with a used engine however in your situation. 500 vs 2k is a big difference, especially when the stock **** will do you fine.

I've seen a couple on Kijiji for that price in town but the cheapest i've been able to find a used explorer engine is around $1200

GL with your move, are you sticking in Calgary or heading back up to Edmonton?