Why is it Fox Body?

Bree

Jan 12, 2021
Zanesville Ohio
When Fox refers to the chassis it sits on, why do we call it a Fox Body Mustang in stead of a Fox Chassis Mustang? Or maybe it's a regional thing?
Also, see'n as how Ford used the Fox platform on other models, why don't we ver talk about Fox Fairmonts, or Fox El Rancharos? (to name just a few)
Stuff like this running through my brain is why I can't sleep at night!

• Sponsors (?)

When Fox refers to the chassis it sits on, why do we call it a Fox Body Mustang in stead of a Fox Chassis Mustang? Or maybe it's a regional thing?
Also, see'n as how Ford used the Fox platform on other models, why don't we ver talk about Fox Fairmonts, or Fox El Rancharos? (to name just a few)
s-l400.jpg

According to that book, the reason the platform was called the "fox platform" was because Ford originally wanted it to be a "world car" to take on Volkswagen's "world car" built on the platform of the Rabbit. What creature eats rabbits? A fox.

I'm not making that up, that's a paraphrased version of the story told in the book.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe it's something all manufactures do, I owned an A body and a G body chevy, not an A chassis or G. There are better things to lose sleep over.

Reactions: 1 users
Who actually says chassis in normal conversation?

fox body just seems right, although I hate calling them that. They are just mustangs to me. However, when I go for a drive I’ve had people yell out “nice Fox”.

The 73-87 GM trucks are referred to as squarebodies.

Ironically, VW had a model that was called the Fox they sold in 88-89. It was dirt cheap, about half the price of a V8 Mustang.

Reactions: 1 user
Who actually says chassis in normal conversation?

fox body just seems right, although I hate calling them that. They are just mustangs to me. However, when I go for a drive I’ve had people yell out “nice Fox”.
Seems to me its the younger crowd that actually says "Foxbody." I've always referred to them as Mustangs as well.

I like it at the gas station when your average person says. Oh, I love Foxbodys. People know Foxbody. Even when you order something like a waterpump. I Google Foxbody waterpump and it pops up.

I stopped trying to get people to not call them "foxbody" 25 years ago. Another stupid term from magazines.

Ford got the "Fox" codename from Audi....the Audi Fox.

When the Sn95 was new, they were all still Mustangs. I think it's when the 99-04's came out that people started breaking them up by chassis. There was Fox, SN95 and New Edge. Now, SN95 was all 94-04 Mustangs, but many people began referring to the 94-98 as Sn95 and the 99-04 as New Edge. Then when the 05 came out, it was the S197. Now we have the S550. So it does seem to be common that many do refer to the chassis designations when referring to them. There are after all 6 chassis now.

Back when the fox was new(ish) there was only the 3, and nobody cared about the Mustang II :) You had Classic Mustangs, and Mustangs. Damn SN95's ruined that! ;)

During the era of SN95s I worked with a guy who had a Mustang II that was perfect that he owned since high school. At the time I thought it "wasn't a Mustang" and wondered why he cared about it. Only a few years later when the foxbody wasn't as popular did I realize that it was the attachment to the car not necessary if it was the popular chassis of the time.

Well, FourtySix&2
For people who use "foxbody" heavily what do they call original Mustangs (65-73)
I've often hear them called by whatever year they are, or first gen.
Is sn95
I've heard them called either the SN95 or I've heard them called the NT Body.
Mustang II the same as foxbody?
The Mustang II had it's own platform and is simply called the Mustang II. Fox is a platform that was used on a number of Ford rear drive models, but somehow the name stuck to that era Mustang.