Progress Thread Wish Me Luck! 92 Calypso Lx

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not a fan of green but I had the same color on a 92 vert, It really grew on me, I had the rubber door trim and bumpers painted black in that center strip and it really set it off, I'll try to find a pic
Great looking ride. :nice:

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not a fan of green but I had the same color on a 92 vert, It really grew on me, I had the rubber door trim and bumpers painted black in that center strip and it really set it off, I'll try to find a pic
Great looking ride. :nice:
I've never been a fan of green either, but there is something about Calypso..... My side moldings are really pissing me off. I assume they were black before the PO had the car painted. The ones on the doors and fenders look like a bucket of buttholes. One of them flew off the day I brought this car home. I going to buy all new side moldings from LMR and run them black for a while.

Back on the road. New:
Radiator
Water pump
Timing cover
Gaskets
All Hoses
2017-08-02 12.03.12.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Been forever since I updated. Nothing really going on with the car lately I've been gathering some parts. I got 94/95 Front spindles from 209Pony (awesome btw) and I scored 5lug rear axles and drums off facebook but they guy started having "home issues" after he got my money and I still haven't got my parts yet (Never doing that again).

My attention is now on the rear axle. I have a noise that comes from the right rear while driving that sounds like a bad bearing or loud road noise. So I figure a rebuild is in the near future.

Which brings me to my question. What gears for a street driven AOD car?

We've talked about gears for my car before. I'm currently running 2000rpms @ 70mph on the highway with my AOD trans. The RPMs seem a little high to me for factroy 2.73 or 3.08 gears, I could be wrong but I don't remember my past RPMs being that high @ 70mph. Anyways I was originally thinking about running 4.10s and a member told me I should run 3.27-3.55 gears because of my plans of a supercharger. I've had 3.73, 3,90, 4.10s with a 5/6speed before and enjoyed them. The motor is going to stay stock for as long as it can last. Plans for a Vortech v3 or single turbo (Big maybe) at no more than 8PSI.

Reactions: 1 user
Mike put 373's in the monster (I think that the gear size) and runs 7-8 pounds and he is switching to 325 or lower, most fox 5.0 convertibles got 325's
From what I've read 3 0's or 325 with a turbo but I'm no expert.
I'm sure some tubo guys will chime in to say I'm full of :poo:

I put 3.73 gears in my IRS when I was n/a and loved it in my T5, now that I'm supercharged I hate it most of the time. I'm now debating 3.55's or 3.27's. You climb rpm's much faster with boost so stretching it out a little more only helps put the power down to the ground more effectively.

Reactions: 2 users
Been forever since I updated. Nothing really going on with the car lately I've been gathering some parts. I got 94/95 Front spindles from 209Pony (awesome btw) and I scored 5lug rear axles and drums off facebook but they guy started having "home issues" after he got my money and I still haven't got my parts yet (Never doing that again).

My attention is now on the rear axle. I have a noise that comes from the right rear while driving that sounds like a bad bearing or loud road noise. So I figure a rebuild is in the near future.

Which brings me to my question. What gears for a street driven AOD car?

We've talked about gears for my car before. I'm currently running 2000rpms @ 70mph on the highway with my AOD trans. The RPMs seem a little high to me for factroy 2.73 or 3.08 gears, I could be wrong but I don't remember my past RPMs being that high @ 70mph. Anyways I was originally thinking about running 4.10s and a member told me I should run 3.27-3.55 gears because of my plans of a supercharger. I've had 3.73, 3,90, 4.10s with a 5/6speed before and enjoyed them. The motor is going to stay stock for as long as it can last. Plans for a Vortech v3 or single turbo (Big maybe) at no more than 8PSI.
How to find what rear gear you have (short version with common sense safety advice withheld)
lift rear of car up, put car in neutral, mark tire and driveshaft with small piece of tape, rotate tire one revolution while counting driveshaft rotations. The result of DS rotations is your rear gear ratio. 3 1/2 DS rotations is 3.55, 3 1/4 rotations is.....well i'm sure you get it.

Reactions: 2 users